prices of Daytona Spyder "conversions" ?? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

prices of Daytona Spyder "conversions" ??

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Parnelli, May 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Grant!

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks, Grant. I've seen that and one or two similar fixture/jig pictures before, perhaps on your restoration thread, but would love to know which magazine/issue that is so I could try to find a copy.
    Do you or anyone else know other similar Daytona coach work assembly pictures or photos taken at Scagliettis at the time ?
    I would love to find cause evidence to all the common asymmetrical discrepancies I hinted about before and been collecting supportive documentation for years. My research and reverse engineering analysis suggests they started during space frame assembly, before sheet metal installation.

3. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I have around 10/11 Timo.
    They were copies I bought from the Klemantaski collection at $65 each 10 years ago.

I do not have the right to reproduce them before I get asked.

http://www.klemcoll.com/image/69PC30A-14A.aspx?page=1 ask for other similar photos.

If you want I can take a look for the French mag, but it will have to wait for a while, we are off on mini grand tour with the FOC to France, Switzerland then Italy for the start of the MM next week and I need to figure out how to fit my wife's stuff in the car, that's with the Owners club carrying a big bag for us!

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks Grant.
    I'll look into Klemantaski archives. No hurry on the mag.
    Enjoy your tour, sounds like a great one. Are you riding modern (comfort) or vintage (style) ?

5. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    May as well-- apparently it's worthless without a $four figure red book$. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    So, what about the actual 'valuation question'?

7. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    looks like the one at Fantasy Junction has sold. Asking price was 725000. I suspect it probably went for 650000-675000.

8. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The one at Autosport designs is listed at 675k. It was listed last year at $875...so prices are dropping at about the same rate as the coupes.

9. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    #34 bighitter2, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    At $675k Still over 5x what they were when i looked at 6 different ones in 1999...my how times change.chuck

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    #35 amenasce, May 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    and 2x from 5 years ago. This one was $350k,which was more than a coupe at the time and reason why we passed on it. Oh well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    #36 SCantera, May 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My Dad had this one converted by Dick Straman back in 1980 [or so]. Euro version with plexi headlight. The car was bought in Vancouver shipped to CA for the conversion/refit/paint. When complete he and my Mom drove it from CA to DE through snow, sleet and everything else. As noted in the picture this car was for sale at the Rick Cole auction in Monterrey in August of 2016. I don't think it hit the reserve. I did have the pleasure of driving that car back in the 80s and 90s. Gorgeous it was.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    When i was looking for a Daytona coupe i was told for same money could buy a spyder conversion...ALL that i looked at were 10-20% more than a coupe depneding on condition..i have found that CONDITION is what determined the price...a few were pretty ratty cars and 2 i found were high quality,fresh with low mlies since restoration (nut and bolt) those were the cars that were priced 20% over a coupe..i bought one of them.still have it.

13. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Christian.Fr and of2worlds like this.
  14. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    Looks beautiful. What is the VIN number?

15. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
  16. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    This seems ro be correct,as when i bought my conversion 20 years ago,”Condition”was the driving factor as is today. I started off looking for a coupe,everything I found at the time was in the 30k mile range #2 condition,I stumbled on this conversion that was actually a rebody using all new factory Ferrari spyder sheet metal,new front and rear light assemblies,new in the Ferrari boxes bumpers,guages and on and on,i spoke to the builder,flew out to see the car and drive...it was a true nut and bolt restoration/ conversion with just 23 miles! In # 1 Condition! I mean you could put mirrors underneath! The cherry on top was being a european car it has the tube headers and no smog....but it got sweeter...with engine built to ‘Lemans specs’with symmetrical P6’s,comp carbs,distributors,high compression pistons....and the dyno sheet on the motor ! I think i made a good buy at combarable coupe money..i believe the same values hold today..”Condition” is the driving factor..my 2 cents..Chuck

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    how many HP and Nm?

18. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    According to Michael Sheehan (who I do not recommend)
    Autokraft in England converted around 10 cars AutoSport (Franco Bacchelli) in Modena, converted +- 25. European Auto Restoration, did about 28 and Richard Straman converted about 35 Daytona’s.
    And another 10 to 15 done elsewhere and you end up with approximately 100 cut coupes.

For me as the owner of a Bacchelli re-bodied Daytona I would be interested to know some of the other guys who own a AutoSport converted Spyders.
    Here are a couple shots I took of the Autosport shop back ing the day almost 20 years ago. Below you can see the stacked up old 250 and 330 Ferraris that were used to make California Spyders and GTO's.
    Ciao,
    Portenos
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, turbo-joe and gt4me like this.
  19. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    This is exactly right, I would also subtract something for the fact that the original chassis was cut. Don’t mean to be an originality snob but driving a cut Daytona to me is just like driving around in a Ferrari replica.

Daytonafan likes this.
  20. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    OK well everyone has the right to his opinion. Although IMHO the word replica is a bit harsh. Not wanting to get into a pissing match here but we are talking in my case a re-bodied car NOT a rolled and cut car. There is a difference. Of the many coupes have been re-bodied do you consider them replicas?.
    I am not trying to make apples into oranges. For me it's very simple. Its all about the driving experience and that glorious sound, my God that glorious sound.
    Ciao,
    Portenos

Texas Forever and turbo-joe like this.
  21. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    No wasn’t trying to say because it is a cut coupe it’s a replica, it’s not (it’s a cut coupe). What I was saying is that I wouldn’t drive a replica of a Ferrari nor would I drive a Ferrari that has been unofficially modified to look like something it’s not, like cutting the roof of a Daytona coupe to make it look like a spider. If anyone wants to do it, I have no problem with it, it’s just not for me as I value originality.

pcht5 and sixcarbs like this.
  22. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Has anyone done a spider conversion to a 330 GTC. (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :rolleyes:
    Bob Z.

23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    C4s yes.

24. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Yes i did see a story of a 330gtc “cut” into a 330 gts a bit of supprise..

25. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    driving a F replica is when you for example use a fiero to look like an F40, or a corvette to look like a daytona. that then are a real replicas.

but when you built a car with original F parts then I not talk about a replica anymore, this then for me is more a F parts car but not a replica. and if you cut a roof from a car that then is for me an open version, but still no replica. how you call then the cars GTO engineering ltd is making? in my eyes those are recreations, but never replicas
    but everybody sees it different ;)