Things to look for and look out for when purchasing a California T | FerrariChat

Things to look for and look out for when purchasing a California T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by FazTaz, Feb 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FazTaz

FazTaz Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Northern NJ
    In the market for a CaliT. Ideally a 17 or 18 but open to 16 or earlier. Any must have options which other owners / F-car enthusiasts say are must haves?. Anything I should look out for when researching a vehicle? Are specific model years better or worse than others?

As a daily driver in for all seasons sans winter will the HS package negatively impact the daily driving experience? This will be driven by an older family member (previous vehicle was a V8 vantage, who will not enjoy a harsh ride). I expect yearly driving to be roughly 5k miles a year.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Whilst there is no dedicated buying thread yet several have shared their experiences so it might benefit you to spend some time looking down thro previous similar threads

3. FazTaz

FazTaz Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Grey thanks for the advice. I posted thess questions after searching through the threads. I should have prefaced my questions with "I've already combed the forum." There really isn't a dedicate used buyers thread, just observations of great enthusiasts and owners who have put miles on their cars and talked about problems they may have encountered during their ownership.

4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    My T has a lot of options that I would have never put in if I had built it myself. I do not have the HS package and I have driven one that did, and for normal street driving I did not see a huge improvement in handling. I have Apple Car play and the high end stereo which I would not have put in if I built it myself I tend to drive the car more with the top up then down, that might change when the new exhaust goes on. I do not use my car for winter but if I did I would have second set of wheels and winter tires, and I am not sure even with that you would make it very far in anything more than a couple inches. I have a 991 C4S as a winter fun car it has Alpin tires and it loves the winter weather. Choices really come down to personal taste, what colors do you like, do you like carbon fiber, the shift lights on the wheel etc.. I would though buy from a good dealer like Algar or Miller, and they should have warranties of some sort on them.

5. FazTaz

FazTaz Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Carnut thanks for the info. Out of curiosity why are against the Apple Car Play and the high end stereo? Not worth the price, or are there actually drawbacks compared to the stock system?

An AWD SUV will be the winter car and the Ferrari will be on a Trickle Charger for the winter months.

6. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    For the most part the Cali T fixed most of the issues the earlier California’s had. I hear you can still have the occasional roof issue, but other then some odd ball gremlins you shouldn’t see many issues with a California T. Must have options most folks want for resale are the shields full electric seats and the carbon steering wheel, and it seems a lot of folks like the Daytona seats. As far as the hifi stereo goes some want it some don’t and the Apple car play is an expensive option new but has little relevance to resale. The HS package will mostly be for pushing the car hard, so in general in daily applications will have little impact.

Most of the issues I’ve seen or heard on the California T have more to do with bugs being worked out after delivery. As long as the car has been serviced regularly you should be fine especially if you buy a 17 or 18 as they will likely have some warranty left. While there is nothing neccisarrily wrong with the earlier models the T is a better car sans the exaust note. The only thing I can think of is the issue with the tiny back seats but that’s all California’s.

7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I would agree with everything Shawn says, I am adding a Capristo exhaust to mine before it comes out of winter storage. There no drawbacks to anything in the T, it is only whether you want them or not. There are a lot of color combinations and ways to do the seats, that can raise the sticker price up fairly quickly (my car has some of that). There are two ways to look at buying one of these cars, 1, is what you want in it. 2 is what you think will give it better resale. I'd go with number 1 since you never know what the future market will be like.

8. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Yeah and it seems like daily these cars become better and better deals. With the release of the portofino you can get some great deals on probably one of the best v8 GT cars around. I’ve driven quite a few and while the California platform can’t compete with the v12 lineup they hold their own in the v8 category, and they look quite good. My wife and I both prefer the updated lines and interior of the T, which is a bit of a relief since she wouldn’t even look at any other Ferrari I looked at before the California platform. I think for the niche the California fills its an excellent car. But you have to understand what it isnt before you start to really enjoy it. Like I said you can’t go wrong.

9. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    The Cali T is a great car. I really liked the HS package and the CF trim. I would make sure the car DOES NOT have HELE.

azlin75 likes this.
  10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I didn't think HELE was an option on the Cali T but it is on the Port. I really liked the HS package as well. The magneride option that comes with the HS makes the car ride really well on bumpy roads. I had the ventilated full electric seats and liked them quite a bit but I like the Daytona in my 488 better.

azlin75 likes this.
  11. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Ventilated seats are nice. I have them on my truck and don’t know what I’d do without them. I’m not sure when they started doing the HELE on the California T or if it was available since launch but I do know there are posts asking how to shut it off. I’m sure it would annoy me as well.

The comments about the magneride are correct, I never did drive one with HS on a bumpy road but would assume it would improve ride quality.

12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Yesterday I dropped off the exhaust and the piggy back unit for the T to Algar for it to be installed before it comes out of storage. I must say I was not a big fan of the way the Porto looked until I saw a black one that Algar spec'd out to have as stock car for sale. This one looks fantastic, has all the right options and I came very close to saying I'll take it. For my purpose for the T, (and what I paid vs sticker) it does not make sense for me to buy it, but if anyone is looking for one, I'd jump on it, and you will be doing me a favor, because there is already bets around here as too how long it will be before I buy it.

13. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Idk. The portofino looks like a camero and loses all of the classic lines of the Cali T. I didn't think it drove as well the HS. The interior is a nice upgrade. The sound is a wash if you compare it to an HS. I think for anyone looking seriously a side by side test drive is a must. At current prices the Cali T HS is a steal against any competitor.

boobernackle and wrs like this.
  14. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I would avoid the HS package unless your older relation plans doing a lot of "focused driving".
    No disrespect to the HS, a great car, but its horses for courses.
    HS cars trade at a premium so you can get a newer/better spec/lower miles car for the same money.

15. FazTaz

FazTaz Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Guys thank you all for the insight!