The Future of Fitness | FerrariChat

The Future of Fitness

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Nospinzone, Feb 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you have any fitness bike, e.g. Peloton, you can add a fantastic experience with VirZOOM (see more at virzoom.com). With VirZOOM you use a virtual reality headset and a stationary bike to move around in VR. The faster you pedal in the real world, the faster you move in the virtual world. Earlier versions (which I have) used either the Oculus Rift, HTC Vive or PSVR for PS4). The newest versions just coming out now are the Oculus Go and the even better Quest (scheduled for March). You can add a VZfit sensor and game button to your existing stationary bike.

I’ve been using the early version since 2016. I love two things about this system. The virtual reality aspect which allows me to turn my head in any direction and see what’s there, and gives a true sense of your activity. It puts me in the action, rather than watching it on a flat screen in front of me like other systems. The second thing is I can’t just pedal a stationary bike. Too boring. I have to be playing a game to keep me interested. I particularly like the flying horse (Pegasus) games and the attack helicopter game. Those are intense games, but for people who are a little queasy there are “comfortable” and “moderate” games, such as F1 style track racing.

There are biking courses, such as riding up the California coast. The most exciting development coming soon is Google Street View. You can basically ride your stationary bike on any street that’s available on Google Maps.

I loved this concept so much I was an early investor in this company. There are still opportunities to invest. You can contact them directly if you have interest.

2. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    After 20 minutes in VR, I’m queasy

rdefabri and sct4a like this.
  3. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    Seems to defeat the purpose if you have/pay for a peloton, the entire point is to ride to their classes and with other people live. I'd go nuts wearing some big VR headset while working out plus not to mention sweating all over it. Seems like a very small market that would buy into this IMO.

4. Fiat2Ferrari

Fiat2Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Chicago
    I use a Wahoo Kickr and Zwift. It is plenty fun for me. I can get in serious rides with my friends across the globe. Or, I can ride with complete strangers. Either way, i am riding and staring at said screen.

VR could be a fun add-on, but I am not spending that kind of money to work out...yet. It would need to be way more interesting than what I am contemplating.

Now, hook it up to an indoor training wall while climbing el Capitan...now THAT might be interesting. And I don't even climb.

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I can’t do it at all - I’ve always had issues with motion sickness and VR is really rough for me...

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    any vertigo? I would love to ride more, I think the best way to burn fat because you can stay longer in that fat burn zone. however, I can't stand stationary! not crazy about spin class either. I guess spoiled I did most of my miles on the open road, hard to enjoy anything else although I don't miss the cars. maybe I can give a try, if some additional stats or competitive type components I might enjoy.

right now my preference is to still go for runs right out the front door. although I live in the middle of the city I have a 100% protected route sidewalks and trails with nice little hills 6.5 mile run plus about a mile warm down. I can adjust this easily +/- 2 miles.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As far as vertigo, if you are like rdefabri with acute motion sickness, this is not for you. If you have tried VR and got queasy like innovativethinker, it could be that particular software. Some programs did not adequately write the software to smooth out motion. The developers at VirZoom developed programs that go from mild (paddling a canoe on a lake) to intense (a flying horse that can really soar).

Over the last couple years I have joined and quit two gyms. I just get bored with exercise classes, spinning and machines. What I love about this is I play games so I don't even know I'm exercising. Sometimes I stay on way longer than I intended because I got so wrapped up in the game I was playing. The games are scored and you can compete against yourself or others.

There are a couple cycling courses now that are very good, but they are animations. I'm looking forward to the Google Street View so I can actually go riding on real streets. I'm anxious to try the Road to the Sun in Montana. My wife and I were supposed to do it a couple years ago but a early snowstorm caused them to close the road.

https://virzoom.com/blog/take-a-vr-cycle-ride-along-the-colorado-river/