Sold - 1960 Rambler American Station Wagon- Estate Sale | FerrariChat

Sold 1960 Rambler American Station Wagon- Estate Sale

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Fairview, Jan 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    #1 Fairview, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Since the Ferrari Chat members have such eclectic taste in cars, and in my experience are first class to deal with, it seems appropriate to give you first crack at this interesting 1960 Rambler American that is just being dug out of an estate I’m handling.

I’m still checking it over as it has been in dry storage for a long time, but it is running well and driving, but has some needs- brakes are dodgy, steering is going to need attention as there is too much play, and the clutch will probably need replacement or adjustment. The transmission is the three speed with column shift.

The paint is presentable and shows well, but on close inspection is not up to concours standards. The interior is beautiful, including the headliner. I’ll get under the car and look it over carefully, but so far there is very little evidence of corrosion or past damage. Glass is all very nice, chrome is decent but with a couple dents in the rear bumper. Everything appears to be complete and authentic.

There is a brass plate mounted to the engine block showing a rebuild by a shop in California. The engine is the flathead 6 cylinder and just purrs.

I’m still going through the paperwork (I’m the executor), but there is a clear title, owner’s manual, and various other records. Per the title and odometer, mileage is authentic in the 76,000 range.

The owner, now deceased, ran a shop doing restoration and maintenance of early luxury cars such as 20s and 30s Cadillacs. He personally maintained the Woodrow Wilson Pierce Arrow for the Presidental birthplace here. I don’t think he personally painted the Rambler as it is not to the level he did the vintage cars.

We had the American Pickers come here to his shop in May, 2017 and they filmed a show at the shop shortly before the owner died. I can’t remember if this Rambler showed up in the filming, but it probably did as they were filming all around it. The show aired for the first time in November, 2017.

I realize this isn’t enough information for you to make a decision on purchase, so let me offer to post or pm other pictures for you, and of course arrange inspections as you request. I’m in Waynesboro Virginia and the Rambler is now in my hangar.

I’d say $9,000.00 would be quite reasonable and leave plenty of meat on the bone for you to make whatever repairs are needed. If I have to start paying for repairs out of the estate, I will need to expose it to a bigger venue such as Bring A Trailer or one of the auctions. I can store the Rambler for a few months for you at a reasonable cost if that helps.

It’s a sweet and interesting little car. I’d love for one of my Ferrari Chat friends to add it to their garage. Please buy it! Jeff

P.S. I will post more pictures, these are all I have at the moment. The VW camper is mine, not part of the estate, and not for sale as it was a 25th anniversary present for my wife. She’d kill me if I sold it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer likes this.
  2. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
  3. Hightower

Hightower Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2016
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Jay
    What car was on the lift above the rambler? I see a wheel...

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That car would be very cool with a small block Chevy and some suspension work.

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    It’s a unibody. Much harder to do.

Matt

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I know its unibody. Only reason it is worth doing suspension work to. They are a pretty rigid car.

7. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    1967 Morris pickup truck- sold instantly before I got it off the lift.

8. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    That's cool, I haven't seen one of these in forever. Besides what you listed, what do you think the needs are? Tune up, new rubber, new brakes, flush the fluids and boil the gas?

9. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    #11 Fairview, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Yes, the usual things you’d replace and adjust from a long storage. Fuel had been drained, so no issues there. The worst items are figuring out why the steering is sloppy, and potentially replacing the clutch. Might get lucky and adjust out both those.

Engine is quiet, no smoking and will idle nicely, runs cool. I’ve only driven it about 5 miles though, but I didn’t have to walk back home. So far, it is one of those happy cars.

10. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    An estate sale of an estate car :D

Message sent. Will any Cadillacs be available?

11. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    This is the last car from the estate.

12. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    I’ve been asked to take some photos of the lower parts of the car, checking for rust etc. I don’t have a lift in the hangar so I did the best I could. There is a little bubbling at the top of the front drivers fender that is shown below, and I think the door edge/gap is a little funky at the rear of the drivers door near the bottom. Otherwise the more I look the more I like. The little Rambler seems to have had the pampered life and has never been a disaster.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    Thanks everyone for the interest in the Rambler. I’ve received a deposit and the buyer seems solid, so I think it is sold.

14. Gianni360

Gianni360 Karting

Jan 1, 2019
    OrlAndo, FL
    Full Name:
    Jon V
    Just saw this post and wish I’d have seen it sooner! That would be the coolest car ever for my son’s first. Please pm me should the sale fall through.
    Thanks!

15. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    Well the Rambler is gone, loaded up and headed down the road today.

Thanks to an FChat member (I don’t know who) in Northern Virginia who told a Rambler club neighbor who emailed the Potomac Rambler club members. Never saw that coming!

Thanks FChat! Jeff

16. Buckwest

Buckwest Rookie

Oct 6, 2017
    Full Name:
    Mark Holway
    That was me... glad it turned out well for you! My neighbor Marty has a Rambler and went into a bit of a frenzy when I showed him the pics, so he spread the word to the Rambler club.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Gianni360

Gianni360 Karting

Jan 1, 2019
    OrlAndo, FL
    Full Name:
    Jon V
    Man I really liked that car. Would have snapped it up if I’d seen it sooner. Happy Motoring! to whoever got it