Should I avoid high mileage California? | FerrariChat

Should I avoid high mileage California?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by bigapple331, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigapple331

bigapple331 Rookie

May 9, 2018
    Seattle
    I am looking for a California now, and found this: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/753425314/overview/

Good exterior and interior colors, but with 55K miles on it, should I avoid it? It seems most owners only drive a few thousands miles on Ferrari because they are weekenders. I want to keep it longer, but I am not sure how long it can last. It seems Ferraris with over 100k miles is pretty rare.

55K is almost on the border of the New Power warranty because it requires the car is less than 90k kilometers (~55900 miles)

The dealer mentioned its retractable hardtop was fixed before.

2. JohnBradleyDaniels

Oct 16, 2011
    Spartanburg SC
    I have seen one or two Cali's with over 100k miles on them. I believe the dealerships share service since 2010 and all records in an accessible database so you may be able to get the service history. With those miles I'm sure quite a lot of parts have been replaced and it hasn't just been sitting. Records would be the most deciding factor, as well as rotors and interior leather condition. Just my 2 cents.
    Cheers!

3. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    On other models it sure seems owners don’t drive them but the California is a bit of a different story. FYI there are users here that are nearing the 100k mile mark and the cars are still going strong. If I recall correctly there was one user that had accrued over 120k and was still driving strong. All that said so long as you aren’t overpaying for the car I don’t know that I’d be afraid of it other then overpaying.

4. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    After I posted my previous post I looked at the car in your link. If you pay attention to the photos there is an obvious issue with that car. The rear windows are down even with the top up. I suspect there is an issue with the rear windows. Likely there are other lurking issues.

Also I know some people that bought cars from that dealer, though not Ferrari’s, and let’s just say that they don’t have the best quality inventory and don’t really disclose issues with cars.

There are other cars that are slightly more with 20k less miles. A good example is the black car that Jumbo has for sale. Next red/tan car is also 20k less miles and is just under $90k. There are several cars inbetween that are also less miles. If you go after that car at the taverna collection hopefully you can talk em down, since your gonna have to put some money into it.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    If it were me, I'd reach out to F-chatter Raj (computersystems). He's got a Cali with 95K miles.
    Many of us can speculate about high mileage Calis, but Raj is living it. There are also
    others here who are likely in the 55K range on their Calis. I HOPE to get there some day, but
    I'm only @ 21K & counting...T

6. bigapple331

bigapple331 Rookie

May 9, 2018
    Seattle
    Thanks guys, very helpful and valuable. Cali is the first daily driving Ferrari I think.

I think I will bypass this car since the dealer doesn’t have good reputation. I prefer red/tan colors, there are several in 20k -30k miles.

How about this one? https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Ferrari-California-daytona-seats/283365103893?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=62cb79962a6749b3a502372bf45f4d9a&pid=100675&rk=7&rkt=15&sd=382766339995&itm=283365103893&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:0b7b5c28-2b51-11e9-9ab7-74dbd18046fd|parentrq:cb229c3c1680a860ef4e0932fff90bff|iid:1 The seller just purchased the car two weeks ago. He said he buy and sell for money, but he is not a dealer.

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    What price range are you targeting? Red over beige @ an authorized dealer.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/761993380/overview/

T

8. bigapple331

bigapple331 Rookie

May 9, 2018
    Seattle
    Yes, I talked to the sales about this car. Lots of used Ferrari from authorized dealers come from warranty, but this one is not, because it is under consignment for a client. The price is a little higher for a 2011 model with 30k miles

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Authorized F dealer will usually be higher based on my research when I was shopping. Good luck in the hunt.

T

10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I do not think Ferrari dealers automatically share service info, I remember this from a few years ago. Unlike BMW, MB, Porsche, they have to opt in and most do not.

JohnBradleyDaniels likes this.
  11. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Not sure if this relates but I bought my 2010 in 2017 from a dealer who was selling it for a client on consignment and I was able to add the New Power warranty. Renewed it last year. Probably won’t again. 19k mikes (bought with 14k) and no roof or DCT issues.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. biotequity

biotequity Rookie

Jun 22, 2012
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Michael Taylor
    21k miles on a 2013 cali30 w HS. Zero problems so far.

tomc likes this.
  13. biotequity

biotequity Rookie

Jun 22, 2012
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Michael Taylor
    And frankly only by the 2013-2014. More power, slight mower weight, better handling. And all the gremlins worked out.

tomc likes this.
  14. JohnBradleyDaniels

Oct 16, 2011
    Spartanburg SC
    I personally check Jameslist occasionally for Fcars being sold out of Dubai and Abu Dhabi . There are two very reputable sellers and the inventory over there is for better appointed then US inventory. Every one I've seen is custom ordered and lower miles. I would fly to verify the car and I am also familiar with shipping via containers. You do have to make sure you purchase a US spec car. UAE market has Euro spec and US spec vehicles. Anyways there are plenty of cars available stateside. I happen to find a 2009 California from an individual that was an early release and fully loaded with carbon fiber for a fair deal.

I also noticed you were in Seattle. You could look in Vancouver BC and see if Ferrari of Bellevue could help you acquire it. Just a thought.
    Cheers!

15. bigapple331

bigapple331 Rookie

May 9, 2018
    Seattle
    Yes, Cali30 is perfect with Handling package, but it seems currently there is no such cars (red/tan colors and handling package) available on the market yet. I will keep watching...

16. bigapple331

bigapple331 Rookie

May 9, 2018
    Seattle
    Good point John! I didn't know Jameslist before, seems a good place to check.

JohnBradleyDaniels likes this.
  17. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Look in Ferrari ‘s for sale thread , long-standing FChatter Jerry has one with 33k miles for ~80 k. Best , Kirk

Piper likes this.
  18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  19. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Goes a long way to buy from a known member of the community. You never know what a dealer is trying to put past you, much as they can usually. Jerry is going to give you the straight story and stand behind it. He's in Vegas with a number of other Fchatters and you won't have any trouble getting multiple opinions on the car if you want, great local dealer there for a PPI. FWIW, the handling package is overrated IMO. I've had a bunch of sports cars, incl several fcars, currently own a Cali sans handling package and it handles as well as or better than any of the others F430, 599, etc.

Cigarzman likes this.