Sealed the deal on a 360 needing some love. | FerrariChat

Sealed the deal on a 360 needing some love.

Discussion in '360/430' started by AuthenticRebuilds, Feb 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
  2. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    congrats! I thought about buying that one to strip out and convert it into a track car but ultimately decided against it.

gluck with it

3. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Congrats and good luck with the project! Pics as you go along is always appreciated here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    wait..what?

THAT was a $100k???

Need more details

5. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Looks like he paid $45k.

6. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    Best of luck with your project!

Please post up pics as you go along.

Cheers

7. brookliner7

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Oh thank god, sorry, I saw the main listing that comes up which is the red convertible, the silver coupe auction is tiny link and up at the top.

$45 not too bad since it's gated.

Strange to me though...IF "all it needed" was the front bumper fixed and a radiator...and they never fixed those too cheap things in almost 3 years? that sounds odd to me...even for a diesel truck dealership. Hopefully it doesn't need much... but, with those repairs, and other common things like a clutch, 3yr full service, catalytic converters,brakes, rotors, etc, fuel pumps, you could easily get up near $20k, and still haveh a no beuno title car for close to $70k

There's a red gated spider here that's clean for $70k just as a measuring stick.

Good luck, really hope the gamble works out! Please update us and let us know how it works out!

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I hope you have fun with it!
    Be careful that the left front frame is OK (in front of where the front shocks attach to the body).. have it checked out when you get it. I'd hate to see someone get a car thinking they got a deal and have a car that might be compromised in a future frontal...
    this pricing makes me very happy with my gated! :)

9. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    Ill probably be doing video as I work on this after I get it home and post it on youtube. Ill be doing all the work myself which is the part I like aside from that first drive after bringing a hurt car back to life. I am curious to get into that corner of the car and see how Ferrari goes about things. My Porsche that I rebuilt has radiator assemblies on each side that have the radiator, ac condenser fan and air duct all put together and I was really impressed how one side was very damaged but caused no problems with the body structure of the car. The Porsche was damaged alot worse than this car when I got it, its a 2007 Cayman and is alot of fun.
    I have to say while looking for my first Ferrari Ive been surprised how many out there are extremely out of date service wise. Dealers stating only two or three thousand miles since the last major service but when I see a receipt it was over a decade old. Ive also been disappointed with how many dealers or sellers are slow to respond if they do at all or cant tell you anything about the cars.
    Im pretty paticular about my work as I started in aviation and Ive done automotive and for the past 7 years have been working on automated storage and retrieval equipment in an industrial setting.
    The listing had a buy it how of 45 though I got the car through best offer and Ill leave it at that. I like that I can inspect the car before handing the money over as in the past Ive bought various cars, campers and other toys through copart. If anybody would like tips about buying on copart I could do a seperate post on that subject. There are currently two ferrari 360s I wouldnt touch listed on copart. One is a flood car thats been used as a submarine and the other has a euro dash with a crappy sticker to get mph readings that has much higher milage reportings a few years ago. I think I got a pretty good deal considering another 360 on copart has a much higher bid, has alot more miles and alot more damage. Its also an F1 car, plus copart has alot of fees on top of the bid.
    In all Im excited to have a new project. From what ive read on Ferrari chat it looks like there is alot of support in the community and people who arent affraid to wrench on their cars which is great. When Ive rebuilt some previous Mercedes AMG cars that wasnt the case.

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Red gated spider simply isn't a gated coupe ;) Even if he is in it 70 he's ok.

AuthenticRebuilds likes this.
  11. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Awesome. Looking forward to seeing your progress. I considered going this route in the beginning of shopping, but went for a higher mileage clean car instead.

KC360 FL likes this.
  12. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    For a salvage title? Nah. I'm glad he got a better deal than was stated, but I would hope he can stay around 50-55. DIY saves a ton of $$$

AuthenticRebuilds and dm_n_stuff like this.
  13. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    But at $70K it's still a branded car with a rebuilt title. If most feel like the gated cars are the only ones (not the F1 cars) that will become "collectible" than I doubt there will be any ROI.
    But if that's not an issue... truly, best of luck and have fun with it.

14. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    Uh, no. A half dead coupe from Billy Bob’s Diesel Repair in Florida is not better than a red/tan clean history 6spd spider.
    Looks like a fun project, but let’s hope he’s in it less than 50k when he’s done.

brookliner7 likes this.
  15. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
  16. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    The rear unibody/sub frame is tweaked as well. Look at the engine lid, left rear fender, bumper covers at the exhaust tips. You will need to pull this a bit to get the mounting points realigned. It can be done. Just be ready. The sad part about light weight performance cars... once you hit something, you have to check all of it.

17. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    That engine bay looks horrible too. Make sure it's not a flood or hurricane car. Good luck.

18. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    unibody cars are more rigid than most people think. In all with it being ebay if its not represented well and I find more wrong in person then I can walk away. If you bid on something on Copart once you win your stuck with it even if copart does damage with the forklift after the sale. When it comes to a branded title car no matter the condition there are always some who will turn their nose at it, but there are also alot of people who will see the value of a great car to drive and enjoy. It does suck that some people out there will cobble together a car any which way they can though. Personally I look at it as a good time to get a car completely sorted. Remember with a clean spotless history car you need to be just as critical as if work is done but not reported, well it wont show up. Just good for thought.

Texas Forever likes this.
  19. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    For a race car, track a car, or fun street hot rod, a salvage title car is fine. If it goes straight on hard acceleration and hard braking, and does not have any odd torque thrusting I don’t personally see any problem. That said, there is a definite cap on what a salvage title car is worth regardless of the brand. Based on your user name I’m sure you already know that. The engine bay looks horrible on that car and the exhaust looks like it is punched in on the passenger side. All of this can be fixed and the car will be very cool when it is done. Personally, I would turn it into a street monster and strip every ounce of fat off of it. Embrace what it is and don’t even bother trying to make it something it is not because even under the best of circumstances a Ferrari 360 is a difficult car to sell. It will never be a “nice” car, so make it a “mean” one! Good luck!

AuthenticRebuilds likes this.
  20. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    You might get some inspiration from this hit 458 rebuild video series...

21. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I have enjoyed the series, however I personally dislike the body kit they want to add to it. The unique part of this 458 is it still has a “clean” title, and it appears the guy is planning to keep the car. For the amount of miles the car has he might save a little, and have a really cool video series that will make him some dough. For a regular joe probably not a reasonable project.

For the 360 the op is working on is a little different. As a gated car if sorted properly is probably worth repairing though it will never command the prices a clean car would. It’s also not like there aren’t plenty of parts floating around for a 360. The op can pretty much do what he wants and enjoy the car and be well under what non story gated manual cars are going for assuming the damage really is as advertised. Good luck to the op, I look forward to your videos on the project.

22. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david

What this guy said! I think branded cars are great for driving the snot out of. I was surprised how clean my Porsche Cayman was when it was delivered and it had a lil more damage than originally thought but in the end I had 12 grand in a 22k mile 07 cayman and it looks mint! That car is so much fun to play with in the mountains and even branded ive had strong offers but Im affraid if I sold it I wouldnt find another in as good of shape. Id have no illusions of commanding some crazy price but when you do builds you want to keep it low enough that if you had to sell your not loosing your ass in the process. If I wanted to loose my but I could just buy a one or two year old corvette with a clean title lol.

A friend did notice the back left wheel is tweaked. I called and he promptly went to the car for more pictures and to check things out. Ive been told that the subframe isnt damaged so im thinking of going through with it or not for a few hours as its an 11 hour drive one way. From what I see suspension parts arent as expensive as i thought they were, even a subframe is on ebay for under a grand. The prices are almost as cheap as porsche parts prices which Ive thought of a 996 turbo as a fun big hp build but I already have a porsche...decisions decisions lol. Im still kicking myself for not acting fast enough for the 360 that was right down the road with high miles but gated manual and clean title for 50k =/. Im kinda debating sticking with a 348 since its such a simple car, Id go with an F1 360 but I havnt seen for certainty yet that the launch 431 can do everything needed with the transmission.

23. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Looks like the car’s back on ebay

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. brookliner7

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Not sure I'd trust them when they say this...

When this car was hit in the front the radiator and front bumper were damaged the radiator
    is LEAKING water.
    The work that needs to be done to this Ferrari is all cosmetic apart from the front bumper and radiator.
    As you can see in the pictures this car has very minor damage to the front bumper area.

And as you stated, the pics show the the passenger rear wheel looks tweaked and cambered in positively and the rear bumper is smushed (spun and hit a curb?)...that's a pretty obvious problem, and if they can't see that, imagine how much else they are missing.

the engine bay looks like its been rotting/drying out for those few years without turning the engine and lubricating them...if that's the case...good luck with the all the hoses in there...

this is just the oil cooler system...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    Ive decided not to buy it. There is another post on here which may have been a harder hit but it jacked up alot of stuff dealing with the subframe and body. I really dont want to have to put an aluminum car on a frame machine to straiten things out. I wouldnt want those thought running through my head at over 150mph,,,,,. He was very strait forward with getting more pictures to me, ect so I didnt waste an 11 hour drive hotel, ect to find this out the hard way but,,,,but, its relisted and this extra damage isnt in the new listing. Its been altered, well the title has as it now states 6 speed manual with the description but it still says in the listing that its only cosmetic damage.
    I have to say the ample tech data online on ferrari is great and a huge help to people like myself that like to do all their own work.

On another note my experiences with some higher end dealers has been disappointing. It seems when I ask for pics of major service reciepts they dont want to return calls all of a sudden. You ask for history and theyre just like, its a 360 or a 430 and it looks and drives great......... Im not weathly with a bottomless bank account but would like a nice project but just because I can do the work doesnt mean Im paying retail for something that needs engine out service and so on. Ill continue to be patient and find my right fit. I drove a 348 that needs a lil love a couple weeks ago and it might be the winner. We will see.