Looking for info on 3500GT Frua #101.1496 | FerrariChat

Looking for info on 3500GT Frua #101.1496

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Michele, Jan 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michele

Michele Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    The Hague, Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel Mulder
    Hi all,

Greetings from Holland! Long time not been online here (only reading) since I lost my login, but recently found it back.

Currently I am working on an article about Maserati 3500GT # 101.1496. One of the four Frua coupes. I stumbled upon this beauty during the new year's meeting of the Maserati Club Holland.
    After a short photo shoot of the car last week, I have talked to the current owner and found lots of sources, including the paperwork and original pictures that come with the car, but some things puzzle me:

1- When was the backside altered? before or afrter it arrived in the USA?
    2 - why did Frank Mandarano switch the carb-engine for an injected one?
    3- Why didn't Duly have the newly installed engine stamped with the correct number?

Any help would be appreciated!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Michele likes this.
  3. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I never changed the engine.
    Ciao,
    FGM

Michele likes this.
  4. Michele

Michele Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    The Hague, Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel Mulder
    #4 Michele, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Hi John, Thanks for the pictures. Nice to see the NY plate.

Article will appear in the Dutch Maserati Club magazine and I am busy with another (international) magazine, but publication in that mag depends on drivability of the car. Currently, weather conditions over here are not suited for classic Maseratis.

johnei likes this.
  5. Michele

Michele Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    The Hague, Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel Mulder
    Update: my questions resulted in great reactions online and via private email, thanks everyone! Below you see the updated questions and answers. I can now write my article with all the correct info about the car.

Q 1- When was the backside altered? Before or after it arrived in the USA?
    > Update: the backside was indeed altered sometime before 1976, with a smaller rear window (which was actually just a piece that had been added inside the existing window frame, as can be seen on 1996 restoration pictures), different back lights and a different rear bumper. During the 1996-2011 restoration, the backside of the car was returned entirely to its original look, which was a pretty straightforward operation since nothing structural had been modified. Pictures from the car in 1961 taken in front of the Officine Maserati show that the current backside of the car is identical to the original configuration into the smallest details.

Q 2 - why did Frank Mandarano switch the carb-engine for an injected one?
    > Update: Incorrect assumption, see reply from Frank Mandarano above stating that he never changed the engine.

Q 3- Why didn't Duly have the newly installed engine stamped with the correct number
    > Update: the engine installed by Keith Duly already had an engine number to identify it, so stamping it with the car’s original engine number would be rewriting history.