Gearbox Intermediate Cover Leak | FerrariChat

Gearbox Intermediate Cover Leak

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by spence88mph, Jan 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spence88mph

spence88mph Rookie

Apr 9, 2011
    Melbourne
    Hi All,

I have searched high and low for a thread on this, my apologies if it does exist.

The intermediate cover is leaking on my 1990 UK spec TR, the leak is very slow but wreaking havoc with my OCD. It looks like I can remove the cover (after draining the gearbox) with the engine in the car. The problem is I can't find a gasket part number, maybe it's sealed with a compound instead? Anyone had any experience with this?

I've attached an image of the leak location (the image I found is not my car).

Cheers

Spence
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    there is no gasket, only sealing compound
    but before you remove this cover you may clean all and put some silicone sealing outside. this mostly helps and when the engine is out for service you can do it right

spence88mph likes this.
  3. spence88mph

spence88mph Rookie

Apr 9, 2011
    Melbourne
    Oh, so you're saying attempt to seal from the outside and see how it goes.

I have a hoist, it looks like i can get pretty good access to it with the engine in, I'll have a go this weekend.

Is there a sealing compound you'd recommend? Also a gearbox oil that works well in these cars?

Thanks so much for then input.

4. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I use Threebond 1211 sealant, has always worked well for me. Redline gear oil

spence88mph likes this.
  5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I always use RTV silicone from wuerth ( not know if available in the US ). they also have clear silicone so you not see at first sight.
    in my competition I use castrol syntrax limited slip 75 W 140

spence88mph likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sealing externally never works' it just makes a mess. It is not that hard to remove the cover after all the long studs are removed. In my experience RTV is a poor sealant for that. Use Locktite/Permatex 518. It is the equivalent of what Ferrari suggests and being anaerobic you have literally forever to get the part in place.

75/140 is inappropriate in every way for a street car. Stay with a 75/90 or an 80/90 the way Ferrari and the oil manufacturers tell us.

spence88mph and ago car nut like this.
  7. spence88mph

spence88mph Rookie

Apr 9, 2011
    Melbourne
    Thanks so much guys, really appreciate it

8. TestaDDS

TestaDDS Karting

Sep 6, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    RM