To Major or not to Major | Page 2 | FerrariChat

To Major or not to Major

Discussion in '348/355' started by PBRacer, Jan 18, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    I was in your position 5 years ago. I had a pristine 95 F355 spider, black/black with 15,000 miles. It needed the major and my previous major at a dealer set me back $13.5k. Over the next 4 years I had spent $20k (including the major at $13.5k) on service and repairs and was ready to move on. I could not give it away needing the service so I traded it on a new Mercedes (E350 4Matic) and the dealer gave me $50k trade in value. This turned out to be a good deal as the car at that time was realistically worth about $58k, so at best I would have broken even if I did the service myself. Turned out the dealer eventually had the service done at an independent for $8k then sold it for about $60k. so they didn't make much on the car and I got a pretty good deal consider the sales tax I saved and got a new $65k Benz (including sales tax) for only about $18k.

2. bballto

bballto Karting

Mar 10, 2014
    I agree.

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Since there has been a lot of speculation about the cost of a major here I though I would post this. I borrowed it from the posting on BAT of the black 99 spider that just sold for $111000. Note that the $9400 total includes what I'll estimate as $2400 for a new clutch and T/O bearing ($1950 parts,$450 estimated labor). So, it looks like w/o the clutch work this major would have cost around $7000. That seems about what I would expect. The previous major was done in 2010 according to the posted records, and nothing much is listed for in between.

Image Unavailable, Please Login