I need a car in EU for 6 months | FerrariChat

I need a car in EU for 6 months

Discussion in 'Europe' started by 11506apollo, Jun 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Hello
    If I were to spend six months in France and taking trips to different places by car, what would you suggest I do in order to have a good car during these 6 months?
    I think a conventional rental car company is out of question,
    - buy used and try to sell it at the end of the trip?
    - find someone with a spare car willing to rent it to me at a much lower cost compared to Car Rental firms
    - Lease one and then "dropp" the car and the payments....if not illegal
    -?
    any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The main problem for all these short-term non-resident ownerships (and taking the car on an extended vacation) is insurance

Most major car hire companies will hve short-term lease / long-term hire divisions to help

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  4. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I once rented a Renault Megane Coupe Turbo Diesel for 94 days for just 900 or so euros. It was through autoeurope.com.

The other well know choice is Renault Eurodrive short-term lease. http://www.renaultusa.com/

11506apollo likes this.
  5. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Thanks Flavio

6. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Buy a LHD car in UK ( there's tons for sale) ( registering a car in UK is extremely simple)

Pay the road tax and add insurance ( a company called admiral, will insure US license drivers in the UK and the insurance also covers you in europe)

Once you've bought the car in the UK, drive over to Dover, take the ferry to France for under a couple hundred quid and you're good to go.

I would work out an arrangement to sell the car back to the dealer you bought from after 6 months, you'll obviously take a hit, but it'll be way less than the cost of a rental and you'll get to drive some much cooler cars. ( one example I bought a nice diesel mercedes for under 10k, drove it for 4 months and sold it for more than I bought it for, currently am driving a 2010 Range Rover and I'll lose less than 5k on it)

This idea isn't conventional, but it's what I do about twice a year.

Shahaf likes this.
  7. Shahaf

Shahaf Rookie

Jan 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Shahaf Galil
    Any websites you can recommend for searching?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app