Battery Tender Light | FerrariChat

Battery Tender Light

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Avia11, Jan 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    hi guys

So I leave the 458 plugged in all the time. For the last 2 mornings instead of the green light I get a red light. Please see attached. What does that mean? Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Mine does that too, I believe the tender has some type cycling algorithm.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My Cali would do the same when I first got it with the OEM tender. A few odd error messaged popped up on the TFT.
    Or, if it was green and I used the fob to open doors/boot, it'd go back to red.
    I then got a new battery and a CTEK 7002 tender. Knock on wood, no issues since.
    So, maybe your battery and/or tender may be starting to act their age?!?
    T

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    NEW
    Tom -- its a brand new battery. I bought the CTEK tender, just waiting for the 458 adapter to come in. It should be easy right, plug and play?

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    It should. Odd.
    T

6. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Red usually indicates reverse polarity in connecting. How did you connect to the cars battery? Did you use the factory connection below the dash or did you connect directly to the battery. If you used the factory connection did you or someone unhook it ,, then replace it where you could have crossed leads.

7. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Its connected under the dash. In the morning I unplug it and then when I come back in the evening I just plug it back under the dash. This morning it was green.

8. Lovedriving

Lovedriving Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Eric D'Amours
    Mine does the same. Looks like it charges in cycle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Avia11 and tomc like this.
  10. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Personally have never had red/orange on either the factory ,nor the 7200 unit.@ turn on or charge. The new 7200 unit will show red/orange constantly on the Modality of charge you chose eg snowfake mode. then as your unit progresses up the chain of charge that degree of charge will be red/orange then shut off to have the next state of charge lite up & so forth. Finally the on off light (remains green, final main. state remains green). If the red comes on(on off light) goes on, check that unit is plugged to wall, check your breaker, (occassionally electric may have gone off) and the car fully. I had 1 occassion last yr. @ a storm went out to check unit & every thing was red Remembered elect. went out for brief moment. Unplugged, then replugged & all was well, The green( indicated unit is on) came on etc.Should be an audible click when you insert the male end into the female end. Check that your wire is not crimped in the door or fractured. Remember there is only a small space at the lower PPt of the door where the wire should go and with the door closed it should move freely sideways,& to and fro. Pay attention as to sequence of hookup and unhooking your unit from the car. If the On Off light is Red something is wrong.

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I never ever had that … red= warning imo :)

What did you find out about your red light ? What solution did you make or do Avia11 ?

Sharing these things / info will help other members here when it will happen to them (and it will one day )

12. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Hi guys, Melvok you make a great point. We should share this info. I talked to Ferrari service centers that I usually take my cars too.

On the factory charger there is a cycle that detects the charge and turns it off when the green light goes off, and they say it’s a “yellow” light but to me it looks a little red. Anyway they say that’s how it’s supposed to work. There are no concerns.

The CTEK charger is more special but it’s light display progresses through the changes a little differently. I’m still waiting on the adapter so idk yet. I’ll keep y’all posted once I get it set up.

Is this what other people understand as well? Thanks!

Melvok likes this.
  13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    PERFECT Avia11 (what's your name buddy …. )

14. KappaJack

KappaJack Rookie

Jun 28, 2017
    FWIW, Your Ferrari battery charger is different than mine and different than the one photographed with the other brand chargers. My OEM Genuine Ferrari battery charger looks exactly like the one photographed with the other chargers. I would expect it to work, but I am unfamiliar with the LED lights on yours.

15. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    [​IMG]

See pic. Mine has 4 lights on right now that are orange. They will turn to green when it’s done I assume?

Attached Files:

16. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Red means trouble. Tender isn’t maintaining the battery for whatever reason.

Orange means it’s charging/cycling.

Green is all good: battery has reached its operating charge level.

Orange and green is normal operation. Red means trouble.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

17. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  18. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I have all my toys on battery tenders. They will go to red if it’s really cold

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Jason,

Your tender is newer than mine. I have the previous generation of tenders. It does appear to be fully operational though.

It’s OK to have an orange light, provided it eventually turns green. Like I said, unless it’s red, you’re OK, everything is working as it is supposed to.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Jason B likes this.
  20. Alin

Alin Rookie

Nov 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Silviu Tisea
    Hey, I see this thread was a long time ago, but I have a 2013 California, and my charge light is blinking orange and the green light is kind of faded. I don't know if the charger is bad, because even unplugged the orange light still blinking just like when it was plugged in.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Looks ok to me. Battery light is green and the error light is not lit.
    Is there an issue that caused you to ask the question?

22. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It's floating- goes back and forth between red and green- one would think once fully charged it would just stay green but that's not the case.

Cheers

23. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Need4Spd likes this.
  24. Alin

Alin Rookie

Nov 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Silviu Tisea
    Well... we just got the car and 2 days later the battery died. I was able to restart it and since then I had to keep it plugged in when in the garage, I guess the charger is working ok because the battery haven't died since we been plugged it every night, but we just replaced the battery yesterday, so we shouldn't have to plug it. We do drive it every day

25. andyrichter

andyrichter Karting

Jul 18, 2017
    Oahu
    Mine never reaches step 7 on the LED indicators. Anyone else experiencing this or know what it means? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk