Love/Hate with boats | FerrariChat

Love/Hate with boats

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by BoulderFCar, Jan 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's that time of year. I'm doing all the annual services- One 5 gallon pail after another of Mobil 1 and gear oils. More filters than I can count and a haul out coming next week for the bottom job. That's the bad part. The good part is planning all of the fun trips to the islands with kids and our friends. Rough seas, boat problems, beautiful waters. You'll laugh, you'll cry.. Ahh boating.... Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You're breaking my heart. :rolleyes:

SCFerrari and BoulderFCar like this.
  3. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    32G for the motors and 10G for the transmissions. Worth it!
    Will follow up with reactions when lightening is dancing around the boat with no land in sight.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You may know this, but that’s the opening line to. Randy Newman song that goes like this:

You’re breaking my heart
    You’re tearing me apart
    So **** you!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Actually, I’m partial to outboards because as you know servicing inboard motors is a PIA. My dad used to run charters in a 36 ft Chris Craft with twin Volvo diesels. The boat is currently working in Panama City, Florida. I’ve told the owner to let me know when he sells, but... I don’t know. Chartering is so much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That's what everyone says right before you have to abandon ship! :)

7. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I've chartered but I'm a hands on guy and enjoy the navigation and technical requirements of running the boat. Sick I know.

Wade and Texas Forever like this.
  8. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    2 most common refrains about boating (both of which you know by heart I'm sure....:D
    B.O.A.T. Break Out Another Thousand ......and....
    "The 2 happiest days of a boat owners life;......."

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I should have been clearer. That's 32 Gallons on engine not G's. Not as bad but it's still a lot of oil for an oil change.

10. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I spend every moment I'm not on my boat, dreaming of the moment I will be back on her again. Every night during the off season I go to sleep the same dream...first the sound of the water against the hull as we make our way out of the marina, slowly through the no wake zone...clear the marina, out past the bay, into the mouth of the inlet...then... point the bow to the distant open ocean, tell the family to settle in, open the throttle, set the trim, and sit back and watch as the shore and all its drama and nonsense fall further and further away. Nightfall return... nothing but stars and distant lights as we meander our way through the bay, pull gently up to the marina dock, tie the lines, shut the motor....and just enjoy those few final minutes of peace before real life comes marching back in.

It may be an expensive hobby... but there is a peacefulness to being on the water that can't be found anywhere else...and what is that worth?

View attachment 2660265

Attached Files:

Hoodude, Island Time, JL350 and 2 others like this.
  11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I thought you were talking about what you spent on replacements (motors and trans). ;)

12. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    128 quarts of oil for the engine? Wow! I thought most of those boats were basically big block car motor or diesels, with water cooling. Assuming the motors water cooled, what’s the other 120 quarts of oil for???

Curious...

13. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    I think they're a bit bigger......like 1,000's of cubic inches bigger......;)
    MAN? Cummins? Other?

14. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Doesn’t a semi truck take 10 gallons? Perhaps the boat has 3 motors? Not doubting it, just seems like quite a bit of oil. Wow.

15. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The motors are 24.2litres each. Oil change is about 14-16 gallons each. Transmissions are 5 gallons each. Each motor has two oil filters and 5 fuel filters. It's just a lot of oil at this time of year.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  16. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Makes my single 14 liter V-12 sound puny.......:)

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    On the ridiculous/sentimental scale, one of my boats is a 21 ft checkmate with carbed merc 200, owned since new in 1990. Its lived in Fl its whole life and still keeps on a chugging. The boat is probably not even worth 1k, but I spent 3 k on maintainance last month, its become a thing with me to run it untill something blows. I've replaced the steering wiring etc numerous times, but the compression is still good so we keep going.

18. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I beg to differ. Your boat is art at the highest level.

Hoodude likes this.
  19. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Thanks for making me feel better.

This is one of those times I really like having gas engines on my 37 Express Cruiser. 7 quarts an engine (454) and 2 for the generator. A little more than 4 gallons of Mobile One and 3 filters.

Of course burning 35-40 gallons of gas per hour....brings back things back to reality.

20. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Ha, the sick thing is 32g's for motors in that thing isn't even a close estimate. I forget the specs, about 50-55'? Maybe 1000hp a side and 110k per engine? Not including removal and install. Not in my league, just taking a total guess.

Gotta love boating, it makes Ferrari ownership and the associated upkeep feel like pocket change.

21. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I think mine takes 55 gallons each -

22. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You'll be on a entirely different level. The big Motor Yachts I've been on like yours have huge capacity and then at least 1x that on the boat in new oil so they can change while on a trip.

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    New Merc 300 Ob is pushing 20K, The Yamaha 425s are 45K, I'm guessing a 1000 hp diesel is +200k.

Carniegie famously said of his yacht when asked the price, "if you have to ask you cant afford it."
    Th corsair was steam powered because Carniegie prefered the cadence of steam to an Ic engine.

24. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    As you point out, outboards are just nuts. There's a high end Seven outboard based on a GM V8. I think they're 55K each and I see boats on the water with 4 of them. Just crazy.

SeaNile likes this.
  25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Yeah Ny boat show had 50 ft centre consol for 750k and a friend just bought a grady white CC with 3 outboards for 450K. You can buy a real boat for that price.
    These outborads are also really high etc and new tech, how long will they last.

But people love em, even some new cruisers up to 50 ft have em, i think Hinckly has one now too.