Access Panel | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Access Panel

Discussion in '308/328' started by shashi27, Jan 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Easy if you have a lift but for people who doesn’t have a car lift and has a history of lower back problem, access panel is a plus and I still know that access panel is still better than no access panel, it may not be original but so what?

2. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Just to be sure that we are all on the same page:

Creating an access panel behind the seats that does not remove the horizontal structural member that is part of the frame will only show the lower 1/2 (2/3 ?) of the engine. Anything that you could access through that panel will be hidden behind the exhaust as I understand it.

Rifledriver likes this.
  3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    ill agree with rifledriver on the front header removal. the rear is way more difficult. but I also have a lift.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Don't confuse this situation by applying logic.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Lift or no lift it will not matter.

6. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Story of my freakin' life. ;-)

7. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I'll disagree with you on several points. First, the question of whether there would be anything gained on a 308 by having possibly easier access through a bulkhead panel isn't really a matter of opinion - there are only a few components in that location, they could be accessed from above, below, or through a panel - it's not an opinion that there are exhaust manifold bolts, a starter, a dipstick tube there, it's fact. If those can be easily accessed from above or below, then access isn't easier through a potential panel - also fact, not opinion.

Second, I'll disagree with your suggestion that Rifledriver should take his input elsewhere just because you don't like his manner of presentation. His input is invaluable to this forum, even if he presents it straight, doesn't pull punches, is rude - however you want to call it. I'd rather have a professional with 40 years experience on these cars giving me a rude correct answer and guidance, straight up, than worry about my feelings getting hurt. I have been on the receiving end of a few Rifledriver corrective posts - and rather than getting offended, I consider them learning opportunities, as a DIY person trying to learn the right way to maintain this car. I'd love to have an opportunity to buy Brian a beer as thanks for his participation in the forum - we're all the better for it.

It's not much different than the machinist who ran the machine shop in our engineering faculty when I was studying mechanical engineering - I learned a huge amount from him about operating all the various tools and machines correctly, that wasn't part of the formal engineering curriculum. I'm no machinist, but I know how to use a lathe, mill, etc etc, and if he saw someone doing something incorrectly and called someone a f'ing idiot, then chances were pretty good that the person was actually being a f'ing idiot - and after calling someone out, the machinist would then explain and demonstrate what he was doing wrong, and the right way to do it.

8. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Now I remember why I stopped posting to this forum. The holier then thou attitude of the purist that felt if you weren't doing it the Ferrari way, you should be beaten in to submission. Or in this case trolled to death.

9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    The first time I saw such an access panel on a Ferrari was on the 288 GTO. I found it charming, doing a cambelt or waterpump job from inside the passenger room.

When it's cracked or has spit out out the sniffer plugs since their inside threads rusted away.

Regarding 'rifledriver'.
    Here we go again! :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Jonny,

There is no holier than thou attitude here. Just us who have done it before. It is your car, if you want to cut a hole in it, please do so. Then come back to tell us what you have learned. I'm happy to listen.

Best wishes,

11. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    some urraco and jalpas have an access panel to get to the front set of plugs easier. its also an transverse v8. I haven't personally worked on one but the fellows that do appear to prefer going through the bulkhead rather than over the top.

12. shashi27

shashi27 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2006
    Long Valley, NJ
    Full Name:
    Shashi
    Guys. It’s was just a question. I thought the topic had more or less been closed a while back so a bit surprised it has continued to be discussed.

Some see value. Others not. Its all good. I value all the input.

It’s not like I am challenging the external timing belt question. .