Alonso, not a F1 great, says Ecclestone | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Alonso, not a F1 great, says Ecclestone

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Sep 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    In the first rain his fastest lap was 3 seconds faster than the next. Some going!

2. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Yessir. That had to be in Nasr's mind when he went wide.

I missed any post race interviews with Alonso. I was thinking he was just trying to put enough pressure on Nasr and wait for him to make a mistake (which he did) but with the unpredictability of another yellow/red showing up the patience could have run a risk of being stuck in 2nd.

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    He pulled a 55sec lead until Milner(CorvetteRacing) binned it causing a yellow only to lose those 55sec's......:(.....oh well, that's racing.

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Nasr was pushing so hard (as he should)...Alonso was really just pushing him to a mistake, it was incredible to watch. Even when Alonso had a wheel lock up he modulated it perfectly and barely lost any time through it. He kept pushing until Nasr made an inevitable mistake and that was that....he kept his pace, Nasr tried to stick with him but didn't have a hope in hell. 2-3 laps later it was 9+ seconds.

Even though the race was flagged early, no doubt in my mind who was the best driver/team combination out there.

5. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Alonso drove great through out the race, i was impressed. He should get a full time gig in sportscar racing.

6. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    BE: The man who couldn't even make the grid at Monaco in the 50's wishes to pass judgement on FA, what a joke..

7. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Alonso's performance in the Rolex 24 was one of the most impressive driving performances I've seen in some time. This is an extremely competitive series that houses some of the best sportscar racing in the entire world and he put in an absolute clinic every time he was in the car. His drive up through the field in the early parts of the night was fantastic to watch as you could see him testing out each car ahead of him to find their weakness. His multiple drives in the rain were nothing short of incredible to watch. I love that we're getting a chance to witness him racing outside of Formula 1 now.

By the way, here is part of the evening/night driving where he drove up through the field. It's a fun watch. He drove from 7th to 1st during this stint.

stever, Boomhauer, DF1 and 5 others like this.
  8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

F1 has lost its best racer for the new season.

Period!

The rest of the racing world will now see him at his best just like Daytona has shown.

Ferrari should removed Vettel. Or Mercedes Bottas. F1 is a gutless managed lot.

Jack-the-lad, 375+ and daytona355 like this.
  9. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Absolutely agree (sorry Pedro, can’t ignore this!), give Alonso our car, even a few percent off the Mercedes, and we have a driver that CAN make up for some of that difference, if not all of it, and maintain a SEASON LONG challenge, rather than the odd race where the team makes no mistakes. Alonso may be older than most, but put him head to head in the same equipment as any of the current crop and he would clean their clocks..

DF1, Boomhauer and 375+ like this.
  10. DF1

Well said - The truth!! Like him or not, he gets the best and more the car can give!!

Jack-the-lad and daytona355 like this.
  11. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Wait didn't Alonso drive for Ferrari already? How many championships did he bring with them again?

furoni and william like this.
  12. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    For what it's worth as an Alonso fan, I agree with you. Ferrari has proven time and time again that they don't have what it takes to bring home the championship anymore. Why return to Formula 1 and experience that all over again? I do hope that this changes as I like LeClerc and want him to succeed. I've never been a Vettel fan.

As far as Alonso goes, he gets to pick what amazing race he wants to race in, work with some of the best teams in the business to set up a drive, then have a legitimate chance to win when he ultimately decides to race in it. That's about as good as it gets if you ask me.

nsxrebel, daytona355 and Nortonious like this.
  13. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Yes. This. Alonso looks like he's actually having fun again (well maybe not when pondering going back on the track during that last hour at Daytona).

The Indy500 will be interesting to watch. I'll be at Austin for the IndyCar testing on Feb 12th. I hadn't seen if FA is coming (seems like he could use the track time, but what do I know).

RWatters likes this.
  14. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    He needs a step stool for that .

Actually, a ladder in most cases.

15. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    just went and watched. walk in the park for Alonso.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  16. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I'm just glad to see Alonso enjoying himself and doing some actual racing instead of parade f1 laps. He put on a clinic at Daytona and was just masterclass.

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Are you serious? He's parading around in that Toyota. There is no competition.

william likes this.
  18. DF1

So being given a fast car and winning is bad lol??? Its up to the other teams to compete. As was noted by Mark Webber during MS big run of titles - if you dont like Ferrari and MS winning - then drive faster.

We need Vettel why? Compared to FA Vettel has much improvement needed.

FA took a dog Ferrari and almost won titles. Vettel takes a car capable of winning a title and loses.

nsxrebel likes this.
  19. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    @ Daytona he was "parading" in a Cadillac and I believe @freshmeat was referring to that race. Alonso and Sainz fighting in the wet was masterclass along with his gaining 2 to 3sec a lap in the wet then losing a 55sec lead before Milner (CorvetteRacing) binned it bringing out a full course yellow.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    You're obviusly referring to Le Mans and yes LMP1 competition has dropped off rapidly. Regardless, I thought his driving at Circuit de la Sarthe was impressive.

And in the Caddy DPi, his first stint duel with Helio and final pressure on Nasr for the eventual win were really really fine driving.

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Not bad. But he is just parading around

22. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Okay. I'm chuckling. Maybe you're right. Damn I wish I had the skills to get offers to parade around for top teams in multiple series. Just last week I had to PAY to parade around COTA...it was, however, quite a well-attended parade. I think I saw a middle school field trip in turn one.

daytona355 likes this.
  23. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Bernie is correct. Alonso is excellent but not in the league of the all time greats. That's not to say he wasn't lacking in skills, but between the scandals and infighting it's nice to see him leave.

william likes this.
  24. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Ecclestone had no great ambition as a driver; he only tried to qualify the Connaught at Monaco for the starting money.

For a team owner, that shows some dedication.