2019 Cavallino Classic | Page 7 | FerrariChat

2019 Cavallino Classic

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Nov 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    The journey to Cavallino Classic 28 with the Ferrari 348 GTC LM

Finally we made it - Platinum and two (!) major awards:

-Platin Status (min. 97 points)
    -Ferrari Spirit Cup
    -Ferrari Competition Cup

Many thanks again Bennett Logan for your great help and Support

Full report and story: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/the-journey-to-cavalino-classic-28-with-the-ferrari-348-gtc-lm.592682/

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Lol, I hear you. Imagine that, that didn’t dissolve in the rain. ;)

Dave rocks likes this.
  3. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Christian.Fr likes this.
  4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Looks like the crowds were sparse, yes?

Beautiful photo.

6. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Thanks.

But actually it was pretty crowded. This was just at the end, and it was raining quite a bit, so most people were inside.

7. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It was crowded while I was there, from 9-12:30. Rain was off and on, and it was mostly sprinkling when it was raining. I heard it started getting heavier after I left though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I love the Cavallino Classic. It's without question my favorite concours and it remains the greatest in the world. Having said that, the Cavallino Classic has a major problem that's been evolving for years and it needs attention soon. The event does not appeal to younger generations. It doesn't attract younger enthusiast and it isn't drawing newer Ferrari's. Any business knows that this a recipe for disaster. Like it or not, Cavallino IS NOT just a vintage event. It is a celebration of the entire Ferrari marque. Even with the weather as awful as it was yesterday, the front lawn was full of incredible vintage competition cars, yet the lower lawn was rather thin. There wasn't a single LaFerrari, not one TDF and so on.

I'm not suggesting that the show should have any less representation or celebration of its great vintage and classic models, but it needs to develop a concerted effort to being the most respected Ferrari event for all Ferrari fans. And, for those who only have interest only in a certain era, then by all means focus your time and attention enjoying those cars at the concours. But, the show should be packed from one end to the other of cars from the 166 to the Pista, whether for judging or just to show. It should be loaded with admiring teens and twenty-somethings drooling over 812's and LaFerrari Aperta's just as much as those who love 250's and 275's. If not, sit back and watch its slow decline.

635CSI, Jasonberkeley and HotShoe like this.
  9. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    MalteseVA and Dave rocks like this.
  10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    BlackBird007 likes this.
  11. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Totaly agree, really love Cavallino, thats why I bring every year cars from Europe. Younger cars ofcours, I like them.

BUT thats true, the spotlight is somewhere else.

I’m sure there are a lot of people they are also highly interested in cars form the 90s plus...

This year I got 2 (!) major awords with my young car, racing car, so the understand how important also these cars are.

I’ll be back :)

Jasonberkeley and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Great seeing your cars.

Ferrari 308 Vetro likes this.
  13. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Thanks a lot !!!

14. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Jeff, Palm Beach is a retirement area for older, wealthy people. That's the reason. Nothing to do with this show. It's an area demographic.

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Agreed but the problem isn’t on Cavallino’s end it’s the owners.

Unfortunately the newer car owners tend to be not as “enthusiastic” as the vintage guys. A little rain and they get bent out of shape and don’t show. :) Lol, that and they generally don’t like paying to enter I’m told. ;) Granted there are exceptions but I’ve noticed over the past twenty years I’ve been attending that the modern car attendance has drastically dropped off

Concours aren’t their thing IMO. They’d much rather meet at a club or restaurant and sip cocktails in some VIP area while their cars are roped off. It’s more about the status and show then it is about the history or provenance. They could care less about being judged. They have no desire to bring out their Portofino or 458 to be judged. Lol, I also think deep down they don’t like being in the back of the field. After all, who likes being upstaged? There are exceptions of course but as a rule I’d say it just comes down to a different culture/mentality. Blue blazers vs. flat rimmed baseball hats. Puccini vs. Cardi B or whatever the hell her name is. :)

In fairness though we do have an event practically every single weekend here. It’s very hard to draw cars when there are just soooo many options. Most are free and they are well attended. Completely different crowd though. If you go to the palm beach cars and coffee you see an unbelievable amount of cars of all varieties and mostly young people. Again, they could care less about concours format events.

Just my two cents based on my south Florida experience.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

The cars and the attendees come from all over the country and Europe. Communities like Fort Lauderdale, Boca and Miami are all very close. Not to mention, the Breakers parking lot was full of late models. There are ways to grow the event and make it more appealing to a younger group of both owners and attendees. It's a necessity for the health of the show.

17. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Most young people don't have the means for these cars. Sure, there are exceptions but as you see from the turn out, not too many cars in the less than $100K range. In general, this is a hobby for more established men with means.

HotShoe and Texas Forever like this.
  18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Dave - those who own LaFerrari's, Pista's, Speciales, TDF's (I can go on and on) have plenty of means. People want to see the high-end of the brand, both old and new. In fact, many of those who own the multi-million dollar cars at the front of the lawn also own newer cars. The Classic needs to evolve to stay relevant. There were many cars on the field for just show, not judging. I'm talking about what the show needs to do to grow not what it already is.

19. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Really agree with alot of the points stated here. I’m 24 and most people assume I like the new stuff - I do, but I absolutely adore the vintage stuff that I saw on the field yesterday. I even took pictures of the placards with all the serial numbers to add to my personal database of sorts (something I didn’t do with the modern cars).

This was my third year in a row to go to Cavallino, and it’s already become an annual trip for me. It’s truly wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HotShoe, Back'n'Black and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  20. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Great to hear. The shows is precisely that, a celebration of Ferrari. It's the greatest in the world. Personally, I'm a bigger fan of the older cars as well, but for the good of the show, there needs broader representation. I'd love to see a dozen LaFerrari's and Apertas out there (not to mention more Enzos, etc.), . Who wouldn't? There are plenty in south Florida.

HotShoe likes this.