458/488 Need Different Sections on Fchat | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458/488 Need Different Sections on Fchat

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Eilig, Jan 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I never felt that, as a 458 owner, I had difficulty finding 458 specific topics.

Splitting up forums is risky because it can end up hurting activity in both sub-forums by prevent threads that are relevant to both cars from being successful. The 458 and 488 are similar enough that universally relevant threads are frequent.

An excellent example of forum splitting that ended up killing all the "children" is McLarenTalk.

Shadowfax and Ash Patel like this.
  2. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #27 Ash Patel, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Good point, maybe that's why mclowners (only owning mcl and no ferrari) tend to hang out here more then often lol :)

I do not think either splitting up is a good idea but understand if 488 owners want to as there are some bashing going on from 458 owners. Have to admit I am a 458 owner but still reluctantly have to say that we all must agree that the 488 is better in all measurable aspects, and then the sound is just matter of taste

Shadowfax likes this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The basic tenant of the forum for production cars has been same chassis same section. This request seems to come around when a refresh model has been out for a while and the older model is less talked about. Still doesn't change the refresh from being the same basic car. The other time it came out I remember was when folks feel their car is too special to be mixed in with the common dregs as was the case for the 599GTO suggestion to be put in the hyper car section. As if there is no 599 in 599GTO. When cars are so similar in composition it makes most sense they will have the same issues and questions will help owners of the same series the best. It hasn't been about annoyances or favorites. Putting a marker in the thread title might help those that only want to hear about their specific car but I wonder why limit your insight.

4. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    This from a man who’s owned both cars. Great response, Kirk. I share your enthusiasm and am likewise grateful.....Thanks, Bill

5. speedy pete

speedy pete Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    darkside of the moon
    Full Name:
    Pete B
    I think we should just set up a Go Fund Me page for all the 458/488 owners. Then when we get enough cash together we just purchase the missing 458/488 for that unfortunate enthusiast who is missing the 458/488. Now of course since this was my fantastic idea, I believe its only right for me to receive the first 488 Pista Aperta purchased to rectify my 458/488 "problem". I encourage everyone here to help me spec it out properly. Thank you all for your support and generous donations. I'm REALLY looking forward to my new whip. In the meantime I'll just sit my 458 Spider and keep smiling....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

iloveferrari and Cigarzman like this.
  6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Majority of mclaren owners I know either own both brands or have owned both brands. But come one now- this is a fight between 458/488 owners- why bring “Mclowners” into the mix. :)

7. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Bingo. Owned 458 and loved it. Owned Huracan and enjoyed it. Owned GT3RS and loved it. Owned 720 and best car I've owned (yet).

As a former Ferrari owner, I think 720 is hands down a better car. But all I can go on is MY experience of ownership. 720 blows away everything I've owned. But again, I've owned the cars I'm comparing them to--not just reading magazines. My conclusions, my money.

No right or wrong or fanboy of anything. Just buy, own, enjoy--rinse and repeat.

xfrgtr and Gh21631 like this.
  8. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I’m relatively new to the forum, the 458 being my indoctrination into the ‘supercar’ world. Out of curiosity, what makes the 720 a hands down best car to own? 90% of owners of these cars, including me, probably use less than 20% of their true potential.

9. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #34 IPO1, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Comfort, technology, looks, speed, DD supercar, wow factor, doors, visibility, etc, etc, etc.

Again, point being I've owned the brands I'm commenting on. I LOVED my 458--amazing car--amazing sound. GT3RS amazing sound amazing track car--but not a DD. I just prefer 720 for so many reasons, but primarily it's a car I could and would drive 300 miles and not think twice about it.

720 changed the super car category IMHO. Probably 90% of the 720 owners I know owned or still own a Ferrari. Many people (myself included) appreciate ALL brands and draw conclusions based upon that.

I'm just one guy with one opinion.

10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    There are so many great cars- any of the brands produce wonderful machines. Like IPO said- drive, enjoy, rinse repeat.

11. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I agree with splitting the two. I miss my days in the 355 forum where people talked about wrenching their cars, upgrades, sharing fixes and hints, etc. Most of the threads in this forum are not the least bit interesting - people talking about what colors they're ordering or just posting pictures of their cars, yawn. Having a 458 specific forum would take all that noise out of the 458 forum.

Plus the 488 isn't a very nice looking car...

xfrgtr and Dave rocks like this.
  12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yeah. It’s hideous. Ferrari should be embarrassed by the effort.

jm2 and LVP488 like this.
  13. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

jm2 and SoCal to az like this.
  14. speedy pete

speedy pete Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    darkside of the moon
    Full Name:
    Pete B
    That pure ********....Hideous? Are you guys drinking early today? ..no that word is reserved for McLaren models only. 488 is a nice looking ride. Lower it properly, stick some beautiful wheels on and get it in gross black and smile every time you lay eyes on it.

Avia11 and Ash Patel like this.
  15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I take it you don’t appreciate sarcasm. That’s my car in the pic.

Gh21631 and IPO1 like this.
  16. speedy pete

speedy pete Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    darkside of the moon
    Full Name:
    Pete B
    ohhh didn't get that....anyway nice 488....love it in white too!

Avia11 likes this.
  17. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I see that you didn't park in grandma mode either!! Lol.

SoCal to az likes this.
  18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Pretty sure you'd be close to being on your own with that one - like a billion likes to one dislike.

Viperjoe likes this.
  19. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Viperjoe, Avia11, IPO1 and 2 others like this.
  20. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Hideous Kirk ;)

Black is hot.

Gh21631 and Cigarzman like this.
  21. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Lol, that's so fugly!!! Gosh!

Did you take out the roof yourself?

Gh21631 and Cigarzman like this.
  22. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    In the spirit of why this thread was started, my comment was made as a joke that you guys apparently didn't get.

iloveferrari, Gh21631 and SoCal to az like this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Well played sir! Well played. You got me. lol

Cigarzman likes this.
  24. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I prefer red, but would take any of those cars.

25. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

No man , what do you think I’m crazy ? I had it done by this guy at a his high quality shop .