Old photos of UK Ferrari | Page 42 | FerrariChat

Old photos of UK Ferrari

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Wheels1, Dec 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    A man named Ian Swift drove to the Castle Combe Sprints in 1967 in a 275 GTB with UK plates "RU 33".
    Does anybody remember which 275 GTB this was?
    I am trying to identify a photo (which I am not allowed to post here unfortunately).
    Thanks for all help.

Marcel Massini

2. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I just learned it is 07173.

Marcel Massini

3. Classic Oldtimer

Feb 3, 2017

4. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    07173 sold new 10 May 1965 to Bernard White,plates BW 111.
    Original color was Azzurro with Nero VM 8500, headliner and carpets light gray.

Marcel Massini

bertrand328 likes this.
  5. 308sf

308sf Rookie

Mar 12, 2016
    Bristol UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ford
    Hi Marcel,
    Ian D Swift (Garages) Ltd was the Alfa Romeo dealer in Bristol UK, from the 60s to the 80s (ish)
    Ian had a couple of Ferraris over the years and I would be very surprised if this isn't the guy to whom you refer.
    Long time no speak since I sent pics and info to you for your 250LM book.
    Regards
    Simon

6. Long-wheelbase

Long-wheelbase Karting

Jul 20, 2004
    Any idea which cars these are? The BBi is interesting as there appear to be only two blue examples in the UK, neither registration dates tie up with an October motor show.(01-08-82 #40415 & 02-08-83 #46639)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    I always thought the 400i was 43375, the first Series 2 demo, featured in "Car" Magazine etc. Sadly the body has now been scrapped after an accident, only the chassis remains.

8. Robert W

Robert W Formula 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    I have no facts to back this up, but to get this full collection of blu chiaro cars together must have been tricky. Does it make sense that the 1-8-82 car was used on the stand a mere 4 months after being registered?

9. Classic Oldtimer

Feb 3, 2017
    Il Cavalieri and bernardo66 like this.
  10. Classic Oldtimer

Feb 3, 2017
  11. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Great Photos, Thanks for posting, but a little confused, [ not hard these days] is the Daytona NE 577 the Swiss peoples car? Its RHD but Euro spec! Very odd.

12. Classic Oldtimer

Feb 3, 2017
    Hi Grant

Dont know -- back in those days we just used to drive them and enjoy it ;)

Looked up my 1980 register _ Robert Abrahams was a fantastic farsighted gent.
    Mr Renaud had Daytona 13917 Neuchatel registration number.

Wonderful event which started over 30 years of amazing experiences -- looking back -- so Lucky

13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #1041 Wheels1, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    It looks like you had a great time, even the weather looks good!
    Thanks very much for looking it up.
    Raab says its a RHD EU car so thats makes it a very rare car. RHD EU spec!
    I wonder where it is now?

14. Classic Oldtimer

Feb 3, 2017
    like always looking back should have taken more photos -- But spent it on the car and events --- and photos were expensive before the digital age --- mind youngsters today wont value their photos and they will disappear with their old hard disks!

15. Classic Oldtimer

Feb 3, 2017
    Start to the Year 1975 -- Robert Abrahams for film show a super day with Bunty's best hospitality.
    I remember going down the A1 in the morning --Sunday 2nd Feb-- and it was the only time I have ever driven for 10 miles and not seen a vehicle in either direction.

bernardo66 likes this.
  16. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
  17. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    While looking for some information online earlier today I came across the Flickr page of a guy called Sumlin who has some great pictures of events in the early 90s. There is some non-Ferrari content (and some non-car content) but hopefully if you move forward from the picture of the Boxer at Silverstone in 1992 at the link below, you will find some great shots:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sumlin/3479792118/in/photostream/

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  18. Robert W

Robert W Formula 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    Where is this photo taken please?

19. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi Robert. Its in the Renaud museum France. There can't be many cars that have not changed since 1975 and still the same owner !

20. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Not wishing to diminish Robert Abraham's input but when I first got involved with the FOC Register, Robert Abraham pointed out that it was actually Geoff Willoughby who had started it off and done much of the data gathering. I'm not sure when exactly but it must have been late sixties or early seventies. Incidentally, for possessors of more than one edition of the FOC Register it is worth noting that some of the details got inadvertently lost between (from memory) the third and fourth editions when the database was converted to a different format. So it is sometimes worth checking an older edition for something that may not be in the fourth edition whilst noting that there may also be corrections in later editions to information in the earlier editions.

21. Classic Oldtimer

Feb 3, 2017
    Geoff and June were good friends of ours for many years -- They worked tirelessly for the FOC in so many areas as members of the small kernel of devoted enthusiasts who are responsible for the Ferrari Club as we know it today. The seniors of the Club in the seventies when it was an independent section of the Bugatti club were all Gents of the highest order to a youngster in his late 20s -- even at the time I knew I was so lucky to be part of a age soon to disappear.
    Peter and Kaye Stubberfield
    Jack and Pam Crowther
    Godfrey and Eve Eaton
    Robert and Bunty Abrahams
    Geoff and June Willoughby
    Ivan and June Bishop
    Jack Perkins, Ronnie Symondson, Hugh Conway, Tony Rippon, Phil Scragg, John Tate, Jack Neary, Wolf Zeuner, David Baker.

With help from Colonel Ronnie Hoare, Sean Bealey Maranello Concessionaires
    Not least the blessing of ENZO FERRARI and Automobili Ferrari
    Factory Tour 1981 -- Enzo in office with about 20 of us from UK on the Monday after the 1 2 result at Imola

Ferrari27 likes this.
  22. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sadly many of those you name are no longer with us.

The Factory Tour would have been 1982 if it was the day after Imola (sorry to be so pernickety). The Ferraris ran 1-2 at Imola in 1981 (with Villeneuve having been on pole) but they didn't finish there.

I remember Ivan and Joan Bishop telling me about that Tour a few years ago. I'm sure you will correct me if you were there but I understand they were initially told that Enzo could not see everyone but the group felt that wouldn't be fair and it had to be everyone or no-one and in the end everyone was allowed in. Joan told me she burst into tears when they went in!