What Is a Reasonable Price Over Sticker To Pay For Pista? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What Is a Reasonable Price Over Sticker To Pay For Pista?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by F355 Fan 82, Jan 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    #26 boobernackle, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Just be patient, the loss on a Lusso hovers around $100K. You're asking for a car with deliveries that have started about 2 months ago, once all the folks who fell for the Lusso/Portofino scams take delivery, dealers will move down the list. They'll come up with the "we got a surprise allocation/customer backed out/Ferrari made an exception" BS to make it feel special. Still plenty of time for Pista production.

There never really was a wait (only dealer hype) for the 812, sales have been terrible and demand hasn't improved, sorry you had to pay well above MSRP and your offer price clearly shows the lack of demand. The V12 assembly line was never running at full production (insufficient demand), so dealers came up with the trick of making customers order Lussos and Portofinos without slowing down Pista production. Lussos (both V8 and V12) and Portofinos (some) don't share production line with the 488/Pista.

Be patient, enjoy your 812 while you wait for the Pista to come along.

Thecadster and SoCal to az like this.
  2. Spider68

Spider68 Karting

Aug 21, 2010
    Switzerland
    In Switzerland , First Pista for sale ; premium asked 180 over sticker...I would wait and see how it looks like in 6 months

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk Pro

3. toshiba

toshiba Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Santa
    or as the story goes....

"JP, can I ask how much that yacht costs"

"boy, if I knew... I couldn't afford it"

the sad fact is I think most people playing the Ferrari game are playing with the hundred millionaires and above also... I myself included...

if you made 30 million a year sitting on real estate contracts would you give a flying F to pay over sticker for the new toy.... NOPE

it just depends man on what you comfort level is.. how much you value cash vs. the newest.. are we all saying they will hold that level over MSRP or actually go up in value... NO ONE KNOWS, anyone who does is looking at the past with a clarity the future can never hold.. once again the past says super cars go up in value , everything else will fall.. then the older they get with excellent condition they rise again.... that's the past...

I myself am not at the level where I think it's right to pay over MSRP, but I don't have millions flowing in where I can justify that because I don't have some super cars or buy every Ferrari that's released I get put special list.... I ain't on the list with the boat load of the majority of us on here. If I was on that list or could afford it... I wouldn't get a pista for the fact it's not a super car from Ferrari.. I guess the only reason I would buy a pista is if I was a collector and could get a 0 mile for my collection and as I have a collection of Ferraris money doesn't really matter, then yes I would pay over MSRP to put in my collection and keep it under some plastic for 30 years..

simple answer, you have money flowing from whatever investments you own and you live obviously a super life and can afford over MSRP and not sweat, sure do it.. if you like the car. if you want it just because it's new and you're not in love..don't do it.

there's a bunch of categories of Ferrari owners: super collector and owns every model they can,, then the super car halo collector that wants the rare, then there is the guys who own maybe one super car then a couple others, then there is the guy who owns one Ferrari because it was his childhood dream and now he finances his car and is happy at the end of the day...... which one are you?

4. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I'm sorry but this thread hurt my head.

5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Bro- 812 is amazing. Drive it. Enjoy it. Wait 6 months to a year and like others have stated, Pista will be readily available. Drive the v12 in good health.

Shack, IPO1 and Thecadster like this.
  6. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Since we are focused on money, depreciation and perhaps forgetting the whole point of the car hobby...

the best Ferrari to buy is the one you can barely afford.

The one that pushes you to your limits so that you will, in turn, push yourself to outperform your current self. Professionally, financially (and then, all areas of your life)

The Ferrari will become your motivation...you will succeed at higher levels faster because you won't want to lose your Ferrari.

If your heart DEMANDS a certain Ferrari and you settle for something else the other car will never last. (My Porsche phase...and Lambo phase) You won't forgive yourself for compromising and wimping out on your dream. Why would you do this? Fear that you couldn't earn the money to deserve YOUR FERRARI. That FEAR quickly dominates all aspects of your life. You stop improving financially (and other aspects of your life) because you start to be someone who is ruled by fear (and ego).

EGO = FEAR.

Worrying about depreciation, worrying about who paid what is a sign that you are in a battle with your ego. You can't honestly justify the never-ending chatter about depreciation etc as simply trying to mitigate the downside financial losses. That makes no sense. Buying virtually ANY car is never a smart financial decision.

Skip a few steps (compromised place holder cars) and make yourself uncomfortable. Terrified even. What Ferrari takes YOUR breath away? Like when you first saw your spouse, when you first 'met' your child...that level of love.

WORST CASE...the economy crashes and we are all Zombies. Sell it. Lose money...WHO CARES. You will lose money anyway.

How will you benefit becoming the person who thought big and actually TOOK ACTION and acted bigger. Vs complaining about prices.

Every Ferrari collector I know has used 'the next one' to propel themselves to succeed at the next level. I have had that very conversation with many Ferrari collectors where they told me all about the Ferrari they were currently chasing and what they were doing to 'afford it'. Afford it means different things as you become truly wealthy. Its not just about writing a check. Its about knowing you truly earned it.

If your heart loves cars and you deny yourself your passion you will quickly allow yourself to be complacent.

I WISH SOMEONE WOULD HAVE TIME ME THIS WHEN I WAS A KID.

bigsquat, VAF84, Shadowfax and 6 others like this.
  7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Or, you know, you have family and a million other things that push you to succeed personally and financially, and you just don't feel like burning $150K?

The OP can obviously afford $180K over and so can most owners on the board. It's not about that, it's just about not pissing away $180K for no reason without looking into the matter. You could have said the same thing to a 911R buyer paying $500K... well, that guy got burned just like everyone said. Had nothing to do with drive or passion, it was just a bonehead purchase and he wasted $200K for really no reason other than overblown hype.

OP simply doesn't want to jump the gun paying way more than he has to. The sensible and intelligent thing to do regarding buying a secondhand Pista at the moment is to wait 3-6 months and see what happens. It's not like anyone is expecting to be dead in 3-6 months and has a Pista on their bucket list.

8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    That, or there were simply more cars available than "preferred customers".

wrs likes this.
  9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    for sure

SoCal to az and wrs like this.
  10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    u located in the USA?

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if pista follows speciale pattern the answer to this is probably MSRP as roma suggested. if there are 2 more variants etc then it cld be less. in general there are too many "special editions" being put forth so who knows what happens

IPO1 likes this.
  12. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    True story:

Last year we attended a major Ferrari event, mostly top tier Ferrari clients (and us :).

On display were all the best of breed modern Ferraris. Tailor-made cars mostly.

Several gentlemen (owners of cars on display) were talking about allocations.....

The bottom line is that the manner in which Ferrari decides who gets their limited cars has changed. FNA sets the rules.

Every owner regardless of their history, perception of self-importance, financial ability must own all the modern production line cars to be considered for a special car. Lusso, Port, 812, 488 coupe and/ or spider. Tailor-made is a plus. More the better. You had to own them for at least 6 months. You didn't necessarily have to own them concurrently. Make sure all appear on your owner profile.

THEN add all the other things that contribute to your priority status. Events etc.

One of the guys there was taking the stance that because he currently owns several special cars that somehow he was entitled to be offered a Pista. He had a TDF at the event..he was the first owner. The same guy also owned 2 60's Ferraris. He believed that with his history he shouldn't have been held to the same ownership history that his buddies were complying with. His buddies all had Pista Spider orders in (BTW, none were permitted to own a Pista and Pista Spider..I asked) and he had no Pista allocation etc.

So the rules changed, he chose not to participate. All good. He still owned multiple epic Ferraris.

Shadowfax likes this.
  13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Thanks for the insight Tim. That is very interesting info. For sure die hard fans with unlimited fund have no problem buying every production car but I wonder how many just say meh, I don’t want a Lusso and move on to something else. Whether it’s the secondary market or another brand.

Obviously Ferrari knows what they are doing with their strategy so this is well thought out for them and will work in a booming market but I wonder if this strategy still works during an economic downturn.

09Scuderia likes this.
  14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    This isnt true - there are no set rules. I havent bought any of the latest production models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCal to az likes this.
  15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Lol- the plot thickens...

16. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    you have a TDF, correct? I believe you specc'ed it.
    (looked at your pics, dream car for me)

Did you own any other modern Ferrari's before the TDF?

You also own other epic Ferrari's if I recall correctly. F40?

17. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    To be clear I have literally seen the rules in an email from FNA sent to the dealers. There are rules. Granted, the rules I was shown (and not allowed to take a pic of) were regarding Pista/ Pista Spider.

18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The expected production number for Pista / Pista Spider is probably more than 3000; if all 3000 customers would have to have bought each a Lusso, a Portofino and a 488, that would have absorbed more or less the whole Ferrari production. So Ferrari would live only on these customers as new cars buyers, which I believe does not add up.

19. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Tim, I have seen the FNA rules and you are correct as far as the US goes. Of course there can be exceptions. Modern history of Ferrari purchases includes both V12 and V8 versions and some that are not Big sellers (FF/Lusso).

09Scuderia likes this.
  20. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    you keep saying that, over and over. 3000 Pistas. Where is this published by Ferrari?

It is a well-educated guess, correct? Probably a good guess, but a guess none the less?

I don't want to insult you or get into any sort of debate, just asking...source?

Ownership HISTORY vs current ownership. If you HAD owned a CaliT, 488, Lusso and you had expressed interest in a Pista (depending on your dealership...that is a HUGE factor. Your profile must show you having owned all the current cars (past tense) for 6 months. Check your Modis profile...MrFerrari.com

Your dealer's list of eligible special car owners may significantly exceed their allocation. Your only shot at a special car in these established markets is if someone higher on the list hadn't owned the current crop of production cars).

21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    When you are talking Ferrari, there will always be exceptions. So I don't know if there's any real hard set rules, more like rules of thumb/ guidelines. Guess what? Owning more cars and engaging with the brand helps! Is this a surprise?

My advice to the OP: either buy the other car you need to buy- Portofino or GTC4 Lusso- or just wait.

Waiting means you don't get to spec the car and you will have to wait and see where values go, but odds are you will be able to buy it for less than the amount over you are talking about. Of course, you will have to wait.

Buying the Lusso or Portofino does mean you will take a loss if you ever go to sell it, but it also means you have this other car in your history with Ferrari. And so if that loss is about what you'd pay over sticker, which I think it would be lower, and you get the extra of having the car on your history, then this is the better path.

I would also like to say the Lusso and Portofino are fantastic driving cars. Especially the Lusso with its screaming V12. You might think long and hard about letting it go!

Ferrari will never tell us how many they will make, but my GUESS is they will make less Pista coupes than Speciale because they have less time to make them. I think they will make some more Spider than Aperta but it appears the Spider are still very hard to come by.

ttn27, Bundy and Thecadster like this.
  22. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    totally agree....the Lusso and Port are amazing. Its funny how some speak of them as Pintos. I will go as far as to suggest that the Port if the best overall modern Ferrari. Best in that it can be driven and enjoyed like a sports-car Ferrari and yet it has the ability to be a GT.
    Our Port is here next month. Our Pista is in the barn. If I had to choose which one I would use today...Portofino.

BaronM69 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes i have a tdf i specced and an f40 now for 10 yrs. the last production car i bought was a cali t for the tdf allocation. I had to buy a regular cali for something else but i dont remember what. i have not bought any of the latest production cars. i bought a bunch of new cars in 08 and 09 when no one was buying cars. for 4 or 5 years i also paid my dealer more than anyone else in service revenue. i only sell ferraris that im forced to buy - everything else i keep. 80 percent of the ferraris i currently own i have had for 10yrs+/.

24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Very nice! I would say the same thing for the Lusso.

25. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    For what it is worth my info us that one Pista has sold in UK £150k over list.
    One other is being advertised at about the same premium.
    I hear $150k to $200k over list has been the premium paid for the cars that have sold in US,

Shadowfax and 09Scuderia like this.