No clutch 87 Testa | FerrariChat

No clutch 87 Testa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by uzz32soarer, Jan 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Got one of my Testa's running today that hasn't been started for a year or three.

Needed new fuel pumps and hoses, so got all that done and it started pretty much straight away. Seems okay but no clutch at all. I mean, nothing, just springs straight to the firewall and stays there. It's on a two post hoist so I can't even get the door open. Any clues?

You can stick a toe under it and flick it back up, but there is zero pressure or feel. Car is in neutral, back wheels turn fine, so clutch doesnt appear to be locked in.

2. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    A reasonably simple system - is fluid in the master cylinder reservoir (shared with the brakes) or a puddle of brake fluid under the rear bell housing?

If the clutches are pressed against the flywheels for a long enough time, on occasion the slave cylinder seal can pop before the TOB moves.

If all that checks out, try pressing the clutch in and opening the bleed screw on the slave cylinder at the bell housing. If nothing comes out (i.e. no hydraulic pressure) - the clutch master cylinder is likely the culprit.

In neutral, there is no way to diagnose a clutch problem by turning the wheels.

uzz32soarer likes this.
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    robert
    was it easy to push the pedal 1st time or even as normal? I think first time when you pushed the pedal it was hard then the piston in the master cylinder was going to the front but not coming back again. this then is a sign of rust in the cylinder.
    but when you pushed the pedal 1st time and it was easy then I think the seals in the master cylinder are broken. typical when long standing and not moving.
    the brake fluid level is ok?
    I send you a mail some weeks ago. but you not answered? or do you have a new mail?

4. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Hi Romano. No, still on the same email. Are you in Thailand again?

It feels like the pedal isn't even connected to anything. I'm going to have to tow it off the hoist then get the doors open and inspect the pedal and see what's going on. Something strange for sure.

I collected my Pantera a while back from a storage facility after three years and it did the same thing. The clutch had fused to the flywheel. I screwdriver through the access plate and it popped off and has been fine since. Don't know if I can do that with a Testa though.

Thanks JohnMH. I'll try and sort this in the morning. Going to need the wife around to stick her paw on the clutch whilst I check out a few things. Seems odd the feel though.

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    just now in germany, but in 11 days I will go again for 3 month

when the pedal has no pressure then it is not a problem of a tight rusty clutch disk at the flywheel. so I don´t think that at your pantera it was equal with no pressure on the clutch pedal. but may be that you will have this problem also after you checked the hydraulik system. may be 2 failures?

6. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    I'll let you know what I find. Hope you still have my CW and P tucked away somewhere. Probably should post that one day.

7. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Had the same thing happen on my 91, clutch master cyl bad. Replaced it and only use the ATE dot 4 that comes in metal container now.

Started exercising the clutch a little more in the off season and haven't had a problem since.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

turbo-joe and uzz32soarer like this.
  8. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Pulled it off and apart. Seal were gone, but worse, the spring was broken in half!

Clutch master out of UK was 125 GBP, but local dealers supplied one for not much more. Still waiting though as it's coming out o the UK.

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the master cylinder? the spring inside is nothing special, same as VW, BMW or Mercedes has, but hard to get a single spring. you may go to a junk yard. it is no need to use exact the same spring