DIY: F430 Stereo System Upgrade | Page 3 | FerrariChat

DIY: F430 Stereo System Upgrade

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Apr 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well I decided changing the door speakers will be less work, going to use the same 2 ohm speakers I put in the 360. They are a lot more expensive but taking the whole dash apart and running the leads from the 5 channel is a lot more complicated.

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Morrie, our stereo system is only 2 channel. Left and Right.
    We have no rear speakers. So why did you choose a 5 channel amp?

3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    • I spoke to Crutchfield and though and it was the term they used for the amp, told me they had sold these to many owners of 360 & 430's. The amp I had was small and I was trying find something to fit in that location, though now that I have decided to change out the speakers I hopefully will not need the amp.

4. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    whatheheck likes this.
  5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Nice!

As I mentioned, the stock speakers, amp, head unit, subwoofer, everything on the F430 is just crap.
    Upgrade each component and you will hear huge difference in sound quality.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

cpep likes this.
  6. psb1013

psb1013 Karting

Feb 4, 2017

I can just see Enzo Ferrari reading this from above, shaking his head and saying, "Sound quality?! Speakers?! *!$*%#^%$*!!! Mama Mia! Who gives a sh*t?! ….When the driver steps on the gas, I want him to **** his pants!" Lol.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Here we go again....................

Yes, I know about Ferrari Engine Car Sound and that is all we need.
    But there are times Im parked by the lake, relaxing & enjoying the beautiful northwest and I want to listen to a high quality stereo music and that's why I upgraded my stereo system.

Ferrari sound? Yes indeed.
    Here is my set up

Zcobra1, I'm 360 Canuck and cpep like this.
  8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Mine is all done now, I car is really loud so it will never be much more than background noise, but it is enough for me. That whole just listen to the engine thing has been going on a long time, granted with most of todays music I'd rather listen to a toilet flush. To each his own.

whatheheck likes this.
  9. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    What don’t you like about that Clarion?
    I checked one out in a store...what struck me, was how weak the motor to pop out the screen seemed, and the interface seemed dated. So I didn’t buy it.

10. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I admit I'm not a huge fan of the clarion unit but I like having the nav and the touch screen. The back up camera is handy also. Most of the time I'm just listening to music through the Bluetooth so I don't even pop the screen out. It does have a lot of adjustments to get the music just how you want it though.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  11. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    You don’t find the screen blocking the air vents annoying or too intrusive?

12. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I don't really pop the screen out that much. When it is out I'm using the nav or adjusting the sound so it really doesn't bother me.

13. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I dislike the screen interface, it's slow and not sensitive. Even the volume buttons are slow or I find myself hitting them continually just to get the volume to change a little.

I can't stream music - it breaks up and craps out, it can't keep a stream then I'll get piercing feedback. Maybe it's my galaxy s8 not compatible, i read somewhere that there are issues with some phones.
    If you think I may be doing something wrong or if I need to just change a setting please let me know.

Whoever had the unit installed did not get the sirius tuner or back up camera so that means I'd ave to find someone to do that & frankly I'm exhausted trying to a find reputable place nearby.

If I'm going to keep this car , I have to do something , bc I am missing listen to music.

14. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    I’m trying to decide what head unit to get and whether it makes sense to get a pop out unit or not. Getting a system from Scuderia Audio. Will update this thread.

15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    My experience with the pop up head unit is the same. (I had the pop up head unit on my 360 Spider.)
    Slow response and it covers the center dash vent when its up so I went with a single DIN head unit on my F430.

I went with Alpine head unit and I am 95% happy. Bluetooth is flawless with my Samsung S8+.

Dan

16. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    Good to know. Seems like your alpine unit is no longer available according to crutchfield.

17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Kevin,

There are many single DIN head unit out there that are really really good.

Reach out to Crutchfield for recommendations.

Dan

18. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    I also have an Alpine and it works really well w/the bluetooth.
    I really enjoy driving listening to both, normal music, and the music the exhaust makes.
    With the alpine, and just replacing the subwoofer/resonator for a set of REAL small subwoofers, the quality sound was night and day.

I even made these carbon fiber rings to match the interior.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

PKIM, klointheridge, cpep and 2 others like this.
  19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Very nice!

Dan

20. Doug2D

Doug2D Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    I have the Clarion Ferrari head unit and I agree that it's slow and kinda sucks, but I like having a screen. The only other 1-din unit with a pop-out display is from Pioneer, but it's super low resolution as well (800x480). Pioneer just released a capacitive touchscreen unit with high-res (2540x480), but unfortunately it's 2-din :(

On the plus side, at least the Clarion unit sounds somewhat decent and feeds very nicely into a JL amp. The admittedly limited EQ isn't terrible.

whatheheck likes this.
  21. Aeroman

Aeroman Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    DFW Texas
    Dan,

Do you have any photos of the back side of the tweeter housing/side view mirror cover? What modifications did you have to make and how did you mount the tweeters. I'm trying to install the same speakers in my Spider and would like to minimize cutting on things, if possible. Also, were you able to find a socket to mate to the factory audio harness? I've had no luck whatsoever.

Thanks,

Phil

P.S. Doesn't look like we're going to make it up there any time soon. When we do, I'll try to look you up.

22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Phil,

I replied to you twice last night but looks like FChat was having server issues as I dont see my reply posted here :(
    So here it is again.

The OE tweeters are simply glued on to the back of the triangle bracket using hot melt glue so I did the same thing to mount my tweeters.
    So, remove the OE tweeters by cutting the plastic out, then make your aftermarket fit inside the OE tweeter housing.
    Once you are satisfied with the fit, go ahead and glue your new tweeters using hot melt glue.

Dont worry about cutting the OE tweeters out as the cut wont be visible from the inside of the car.

Note, for better stereo imaging point the tweeter towards the seats.

As far as tweeter connectors, no I was not able to find mating connectors so I just used RC Power Connectors that I purchased from eBay.
    See photos below.
    Hope that helps.

Sorry to hear you wont make it here to Seattle anytime soon.
    No worries, when you decide to come reach out to me. I will meet up with you and lunch or dinner is on me.

Dan Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. 00 550

00 550 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    FL
    Full Name:
    That guy
    Thanks to Dan L. (Whatrheheck) for a fantastic write up of the DIY. I bought some alpine 6.5 inch door speakers, a couple of focal speakers from crutchfield for rear hi fi box and the exact same pioneer amp Dan recommended. I started with speakers and despite a better sound....it was still garbage. The amp was the key. Just finished install and it’s night and day difference. Tight bass and no distortion whatsoever at pretty high volumes. I bought a new head unit and I will replace it to see if it makes a diff. But I am not messing with the connector to back of Becker unit in case I want it for resale purposes or interior aesthetic reasons down the road. I bought the adapter from scuderia audio so I can seemlesly go back to OEM head unit if I don’t like the look or appreciate an improvement in sound from new head unit. Anyone who enjoys listening to music at all should spend the $300 in parts for door/rear speakers and an amp. 4-5 hours total time to do entire job. It’s a fun and straight forward DIY thanks to the detailed info from Dan L. Thanks again!

24. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks very much for making the time to show appreciation.

I'm happy to hear my post helped you with this project.

It is really a big sound improvement replacing the amp and speakers. It will sound even better when you upgrade the head unit.

With the use of the connector adapter it should be an easy swap out and reversible.

The icing on the cake id the addition of the Scuderia Audio subwoofer. Whoooaaa!

Enjoy!

Dan L.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

25. 00 550

00 550 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    FL
    Full Name:
    That guy
    I have completed install with the exception of radio antenna. It doesn’t fit, and I’ve searched high and low for an adapter but cannot find the correct one on line by pictures. Can somebody help me? I have attached pics of the head unit and OEM antenna wire. Not sure if I’m getting old and stupid or not... this should be the easiest part of the upgrade.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login