F40 distributor sensors | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F40 distributor sensors

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Red Sled, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    Remember: the logic circuit within the ECU determines that the engine is turning over("running, or trying to"), based on the reluctance circuits of BOTH the camshaft pickup being discussed here-AND-the similar circuit in the flywheel housing(remember those pesky 4 pins in the flywheel?). This combo logic(720 rpms), trips the grounding circuits in the ECUS for the ignition RELAYS, and the fuel pump/injector relays-plural...
    EACH "side of the engine" has its own circuitry, therefore, if one side is "dead", prior to even starting to muck about with: " ECU" diagnostic tools, first verify that you have proper signal generation, THEN proceed to proofing functionality of these relay circuits... ALL controls are hot and triggering is based on switched ground. ECUs have NEVER been bad in my experience-owned a number of them, worked on many more(288GTO is-essentially-the same system excepting for better sensors and more sophisticated actuators-still a logarithmic/speed density system with a primary load sensor(MAP), and a secondary load sensor(TPS)...AND, electronic idle speed control(EEC is another story not needing discussion here). BEWARE of "white plastic cam reluctors-these are 288 parts and went bad very, very, quickly. Your BEST friend in diagnosis in these circuits is a dual trace ANALOG scope....Digital too fast-likely you will miss the fault event onset!
    FWIW-good luck

2. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I have a few of these sensors, brand new.... Contact me if you need them.