Has the elusive 150k 458 been found yet? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Has the elusive 150k 458 been found yet?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SeaNile, Jan 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  2. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Yes, here's another Ferrari 458 for under $150K with under 25,000 miles. Cars are out there! Only thing, it's yellow.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=466236254&zip=94080&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D94080%26startYear%3D1981%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceASC%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Don%26endYear%3D2019%26modelCodeList%3D458ITALIA%26makeCodeList%3DFER%26searchRadius%3D0&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&modelCodeList=458ITALIA&makeCodeList=FER&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=FER&modelCode1=458ITALIA&clickType=listing

3. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Nothing like buying a used Ferrari at a place called Roadrunner Auto Sales ;)

unreelviper, Afonsolaw and jm2 like this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    As I said previously, in Wayne,Michigan.
    Good luck with that.

5. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I don’t know why but I don’t think I would ever want the cheapest 458 out there ... if it’s the cheapest it’s for a reason... and that’s why these cars are sitting something wrong with them and no one wants them. If you can’t afford a nice 458 just buy a 430 then upgrade in the future when you have the means ... I would rather own a pristine low mileage 430 than a 458 that has been trashed . Just my 2 cents.

ZA3879, v35, unreelviper and 2 others like this.
  6. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    There are a lot of cars out there price higher and sitting for several months. Even some low price cars are sitting on the market. There's a black 458 in Texas on Ebay for under $150K with 25K miles sitting for months now. A lot of cars aren't selling. Sometimes people don't want to wait around for their cars to sell because they have their eye on another car, just can't afford them or don't want to wait months for their car to sell. With any high end used car, get a PPI.

ZA3879 likes this.
  7. arkone

arkone Karting

Nov 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Mo
    I will be listing my 458 for sale soon. 10k miles, $280k+ MSRP before extra carbon fiber bits I've added on. Going to be around $150k cause I had to replace the front bumper cause I rear ended an Altima a few months back.

Finding a PERFECT 458 under $150k right now with decent miles (+/- 10k) is still not possible.

SeaNile likes this.
  8. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor

Attached Files:

Viperjoe likes this.
  9. Ivinsea

Ivinsea Karting

Sep 7, 2016
    Southern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ivin Seabrook
    I agree with the comments that buying a 458 near the bottom of the market is not the best idea.

Perhaps the OP's question "Has the elusive $150K 458 been found yet?" should be followed up with "If yes, then be prepared to pay another $20K to $30K to buy a really nice one."

10. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    The only reason things don't sell is because of the price . I don't care what it is. If the price is right it will sell . That being said these are not necessarily cars with issues but they are probably less desirable for some reason . I've looked at about every 458 for sale on all the different sites and I'm amazed at how many of these cars sit and sit and then sit some more . It's pretty apparent that some of these cars are not worth what the people or dealers are asking for them and the secret here to get the deals is patience . Highly optioned ones will eventually make it to 150k at some point.

11. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
  12. ZA3879

ZA3879 Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Z
    I’m from MI. Not to bash any local business but I agree with the diamond and pawnshop analogy.
    Plenty of sketchy small time dealers around.

Platinum motors in Birmingham, MI is great. Check then out.

13. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I believe if you make enough offers you will get a decent 458 at 150k. My thoughts are based on what I sold my no story 2012 spider 20,000 mile car in February for. Best , Kirk. If you want the details pm me.

14. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    How do we PM? Lol!

15. toshiba

toshiba Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Santa
    if you seriously want man... just go post a wanted ad.. say here's what I'll pay, what do you have... get in line for the newest thing after the pista.. sell off your "old" car before it depreciates more, or stocks tank..

then wait and see... hahaha

16. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    That is funny !

17. AFLA

AFLA Rookie

Jan 9, 2006
    Washington State
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Anyone know about this dealer/guy? He tells me it only had slight rear bumper damage. Has a rebuilt title. He has a bunch of these that he’s fixed up.

18. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #45 noone1, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Insurance companies don't total and cut checks for $200K cars for slight rear bumper damage. That car was likely extensively damaged.

Besides, it's not even that cheap. So you save $20-30K buying a damaged car. Well, you also sell it for $20-30K less than a non-damaged car, so it's proportionally a lot closes in true cost of ownership to a good car. And to make matters worse, you have to deal with the risks of further issues and selling it.

So really, all you gain is having to invest less capital in the car. You don't really save money when it's all said and done and you open yourself up to extra risk and hassle.

Don't buy wrecked exotics.

19. AFLA

AFLA Rookie

Jan 9, 2006
    Washington State
    You’re right. I needed to hear it. I know better. I got excited and lost my mind a bit.

20. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    #47 azlin75, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    I’d be wary simply because it seems unlikely the car was totaled for a minor collision and the photo shows a Speciale. If someone wanted to inquire more it would be a good idea to ask for photos of the damage and rear of the car before and during the repair and modifications. While it’s not unheard of to have a car totaled for somewhat minor damage there are too many red flags.

Also on cars that are no story and priced higher it wouldn’t hurt to offer 10k below ask especially if the car has been sitting a while. Worst they can say is no. It’s been my experience that a lot of exotics are marked up 15 - 20% or in some cases more. While I don’t begrudge someone making money on a car sale it seems excessive especially if the car has sat for a long time. Dealers are in the business of selling cars not collecting them.

It’s also not neccisarrily a “bad” thing to buy a car with known issues since there is no guarantee another more expensive car could have issues lurking as well and the issues can and have slipped by ppi’s. It really depends on what the issues would cost to correct. And in no case would it be wise to buy an overly abused car unless it is going to be used for race/track purposes.

21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The photo does not seem to show a Speciale, considering the vents near the headlights (which look like those of an Italia, the Speciale has vents extended on the bumper) - more like some kind of body kit.

22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Quite a few under 150K USD in europe. Some well specced ones, too. Black on black, red stitching, all the carbon, racing seats....130K euro. Great value.

23. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Perhaps it would be fair to say it’s not a stock 458 Italia front end or hood at least. I’d suspect it’s had significant front end damage and was replaced with easily accessible after market kit parts. Would be different if it was marketed as such and disclosed with a price point to match. Problem with collision cars is you never know how well the repairs are done when purchasing them. The problem is compounded with these type cars making them a pariah.

All that being said if I had the time and resources and planned to never sell the car and price was right I could see buying a wrecked car and repairing it. Mostly for the experience of it. But there isn’t anyone near me I’d even remotely trust to straighten one of these cars frame out and salvage ferrari’s tend to sell pretty high due to parts recyclers buying up salvage cars for inventory. It amazes me how much some of these salvage cars bring on Copart and IAAI. It’s certainly better to buy a clean title car even in need of some work then a possible basket case. Cheaper cars are a different story.