AEI500C vs AEI500E Ignition Coil? | FerrariChat

AEI500C vs AEI500E Ignition Coil?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by MaseratiMike, Jan 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm looking to obtain a spare ignition coil for my Euro (non-cat) 1986 Testarossa, the original coils are an Marelli AEI500C.

Have been looking at all the previous threads on coils and alternatives, but haven't really helped.

Will an AEI500E coil work and does anyone know the difference? Beyond paying silly money for a Marelli AEI500C coil, is there any suitable alternatives....

Thanks in advance

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    What is the Ferrari part number. That is the only guide I have.

I really see no reason to carry a spare coil. I own one and have worked on them professional since they came out and have not once seen a bad coil. The transistor module on top goes bad and I can see having a spare one of those. The module can be bought separately and cheaply.

Do not get caught up with the cat/no cat thing. The parts book is wrong and the cat cars used the same coil as the non cat cars. The only difference is in late production, I think mid 90 they changed coils.

3. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The numbers on my coil are: BAE209BK80, AEI500C. The Ferrari part number is: 124276

I hear you on the module and already have a spare which is the same for my Mondial. I like to keep a small selection of spares where possible, before they go completely NLA or where you need a small mortgage to buy them (I learnt from restoring my Mondial to grab some parts while you can).

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I hope you mean 124273. There is no 124276.

I understand your concern and I do the same. Still coil is one of the last things I'd have money tied up in. Put it in rubber and plastic parts. Those are the ones that get hard to get and not replicated or poorly replicated. I know of no car in the history of the automobile that was sidelined because no ignition coil was available. I have a TR and a 328 and have been in this business a long time. I have boxes of parts stashed away for them both and plan on keeping them a long time. I have several modules and several crank sensors but getting spare coils never crossed my mind. A TR is a lot more likely to be sidelined by a transmisson issue than an ignition coil.

Shamile likes this.
  5. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    124276 has been superseded by 124273.... Looking at past threads on FC, there has been some coil failures.

That's a fair comment and view, I'm just hunting around for various spares and cross-reference parts where applicable.

As I know the AEI500C coils are going for around £350-£450+, really wanted to see what alternatives are available if any....

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    124273 was the part number used in 1985 and it is the part number used in 2019.

People diagnose and replace a lot of parts, doesn't mean they are bad.

7. TestaDDS

TestaDDS Karting

Sep 6, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    RM
    https://www.ebay.fr/itm/New-NGK-Ignition-Coil-For-LANCIA-Thema-2-0-ie-Turbo-1985-87/361291509588?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649