Ferrari 599 dash install | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 599 dash install

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tcw, Apr 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It appears from you photo the HVAC panel is sticky (Sorry - occupational hazard). If you wish to discuss refinishing, send me an email or give me a call. You have so much work into this it would be a shame to have to do it again...

2. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    Dave, you are probably right but it is not that sticky yet. Some parts in the interior are getting close.

3. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    #29 tcw, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    #30 tcw, Apr 21, 2017
    In any case, the center console is installed relatively simply withe 5 hex bolts and several phillips head screws. The emergency brake handle has a cover with a zip tie and a bridging strip of metal which had to be removed the taking it apart. The console also has to be rotated into place, hence the reason to remove the seat(s). Make sure you have passed all the connectors and wiring past the center moulding first.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    #31 tcw, Apr 21, 2017
  6. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    #32 tcw, Apr 21, 2017
    It was at this point that I had to diverge from my goal in installing the dash as some one had been here before and modified the factory wiring harness. There was a few extra connectors in the radio harness for who knows what along with a bluetooth device. I followed wires under the passenger side floor to find another rat's nest of wiring for a remote radar detector, laser shifters and exhaust valve controller. These were items I didn't know were in the car before now. Since I don't have much need for them they were removed necessitating removal of engine panels, front grill and all of the trunk panels. I still have to put the car on the lift and remove the rear under tray to remove the after market cable to the exhaust valve and reinstall the factory connector. Who knows what I will find there. If any one is interested in these parts let me know or they are off to eBay.

7. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    #33 tcw, Apr 21, 2017
  8. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    #34 tcw, Apr 21, 2017
  9. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Nice work, trust you're suitably pleased with results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    Thanks for your comment. While of course the results are important what I really enjoy is the process.

11. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    #37 tcw, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Next I moved on to finishing up with the rest of the glove box. I attached the 3 hinge screws and shock strut. Then the locking mechanism was adjusted and the locking motor connector hooked up.

Looks like I hit the limit on attachments so no pictures :(

12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Wow, fantastic write up!

13. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    #39 tcw, Apr 25, 2017
    I wanted to finish this off so I had to become a member and pay some dues to get a few more photos posted.

This completes enough of the dash that I could install the side trim panels which includes a panel over the door on both sides from the dash to the B pillar, the B pillar panel which includes the shoulder seat belt tensioner ( a real pain to position) running from the roof to the floor, and the door seal. This is the domino effect or chain reaction effect. In other words, to get the dash out you have to remove these two panels, which requires removal of the luggage shelf panel, which requires removing the rear quarter light and speaker panels, which requires removal of the rear bulkhead panel….. you get the picture.

The first picture is of the frame over the door exposed, followed by a back side shot of the covering panel, one of the panel over the B pillar showing the seat belt mechanism (by the way I only partially removed this panel to get to the screws for the over door panel).

14. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    Thanks for the kudos Nospinezone.

15. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    #41 tcw, Apr 25, 2017
  16. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
  17. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    #43 tcw, Apr 25, 2017
    I won't go into all the hassles I had with some of the problems that I had with the removal and installation process due to the previous aftermarket device installer(s) but that did add about 10 hours of extra work I had to do to execute some restoration repairs. I think I would think twice before letting ever touching my car to put in a stereo or radar detector, or what ever.

Once all the trim panels were in I assembled the binnicle display and installed it with its 2 multipin connectors, 2 screws and two tabs. The dash was really starting to look normal at this point so I decided to turn on the battery and check it out by turning the ignition key. Big mistake. I got all kinds of error codes with a transmission fault, tire puncture warning, air bag failure…. Bottom line, as I later found out, is that you need to have all your connections done to the seats and switches in the center console first. Otherwise you will only worry, wasting time and effort trying to look for missed connections in connectors that you can't see anymore or something else.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the binnacle installation....

18. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    #44 tcw, Apr 25, 2017
    With the binnacle in place and fingers crossed that I had not done any wiring snafus, I went ahead and installed the, door seals, seats and hooked up all the remaining connectors except the radio which I am trying to figure out some one's misdeeds with the wiring harness. Fortunately everything seems to work now. Just a selected number of remaining photos to wrap things up....

First shows the door seals which are just pushed into place (except for one push pin at the A pillar).

Next shows a shot of what I think is the most important point I can make about installing or removing the seats by protecting the leather with a padded blanket or rug so the 2 guide pins on the mounting bracket don't tear it.

The next shot is part of the progression of putting the seat in. I found it was easiest to put the seat in forward and then turn it into position, dropping it into place.

The last pictures are of the Ferrari dash cover plate. I wanted to show it so you can understand how it fits in place with the 3 clip pins because in my case I didn't. I had to remove it from the back side of the center cover because they clips were in too tight. I might have tried a little harder if I knew that was all that was holding it in place but did not want to break anything.

I went ahead and put in the air vent diffusers, 2 of which I had to replace since a couple of the little plastic tabs had been broken off. I also installed the plastic cover halfs over the steering wheel column which clip together top to bottom and have 2 screws and one nut on the underside. The radio will probably go in next week.

I think I'll call it a wrap for now. I know I posted a few more details than just the dash but you should also know what else is involved in removing/installing it. Excuse me if I have been a bit long winded. Hopefully this will help some one else in the future in their endeavors with their car. I am amazed in the engineering that went into the design of all the little pieces that make up the dash. I also hope I can just look at the face of it for now and never have to see the back side again!

virendra likes this.
  19. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Yeah, that is a big no-no... You will need to visit the dealer to get the airbag light turned off - requires SDx, or Leonardo... Battery reset won't do it.

20. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    I think I got lucky as everything seems to be ok now :).

21. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    tcw, this was an awesome thread that I just read through. I wanted to resurrect this thread and ask how you removed and installed the binnacle in post #43. I need to repair the leather on this part and was trying to figure out how to remove it. Thank you in advance.

22. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    Nice and informative. I did mine a few months ago but still have not put everything back together. (The speedo pod and the passenger glovebox need to go it. Left them out as I am struggling with 2 cables. In the speedo pod area found a BLUE connector that seems to be a blank with nowhere to go. Do you recall any such dummy test connector around the half way mark of the speedo. The glovebox also has what seems like a connector for the loom and not sure about its layout through the light and the switch for the light. Would be nice if some one has a circuit wiring diagram for the 2009 model in RHD.

23. michelwitte

michelwitte Rookie

Jun 3, 2011
    Hello ridege55, did you find a response to your questions. I have the same problem and I hope that we do not have to dismantle the whole dashboard to get the binnacle out. I have enormous respect for tcw’s Thread. Thank you in advance for the answer

24. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I sold my 599 before getting to it. However I did find out the steps to remove it from the WSM. Let me see if I can find those pages and post it. The whole dashboard does not need to come out.