This is what happens when you sell your cars to rich [] kids like these. | Page 4 | FerrariChat

This is what happens when you sell your cars to rich [] kids like these.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dilusha, Dec 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    This is just perception, not reality. How am I going to get more rock chips at a track than on a 5K mile vacation where I'm interacting with cars and trucks that kick up that kind of stuff? And ALL Ferrari models are developed and tested on the Fiorano circuit; you are not doing any damage to them if you do a track day every now and again. In fact, I take my cars to the track for a final shakedown after I've restored them, to see if anything lets loose and fails. When I did that with my 456M, the seals on the rear shocks went bad (And they had already been rebuilt once). After they were redone under warranty, I drove the car from Texas to Virginia to do the Blue Ridge Parkway. Around 5K miles and perfect reliability. I can assure you, the car was in much more danger on the roads than at the track.

So while the cars that have been tracked may need a lower asking price, that is just a good deal for those who know that these cars are made to be competent on tracks.

All Ferraris can be restored to perfection given the money and expertise.

2. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    That’s exactly what I am talking about. Tracked cars needed more “restoration” to be equal to their non-tracked counterparts.

Also, cars that have been stood-on need more restoration than non-stood ones

Ergo, as far as “damages” are concern, tracked cars are comparable to stood-on cars.

Also, if an owners sell two Ferraris identically spec’d for the same price. One was kept for pleasure driving and other for track days exclusively. Same documented maintenance schedule for both cars because same mileage. you tell me you’d rather get the tracked car?

up4speed likes this.
  3. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I bought my 456M with 7K miles on it, and it had been sitting for several years. It was super expensive to restore it to reliable condition; over $20K. It would have been in better shape if it had been driven more, even at a track a couple of times. I'm not afraid of buying any Ferrari that has seen a track a few times. The super low mileage examples that have been sitting most of their lives are the ones you have to watch out for, especially if they are much over ten years old. That has been my experience, anyway.

High mileage cars are another matter. With them you need some service history.

4. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    As far as the rock chips are concerned, most track cars have sticky tires that pick up pebbles and spit them at other cars following 10 ft behind going 100mph.
    Most Ferrari driven on the street is driven on a Sunday where road etiquette tells the car behind yo keep a “safe” distance. If the following car gets too close, the leading car simply pulls aside and let following car pass. Much less chance of rock chips

5. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Good point, forgot about that.

6. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hence why I don't track my car, nor stand on it!! LOL

7. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It depends on where you live. If you are on LI and don't have PPF on the front, you will pick up rock chips almost every drive, even if you keep double the normal distance to other cars. Our roads suck!

8. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    This is not an issue for me, as beginner and intermediate classes are all street cars on street tires. There is often a hundred feet between cars. Much less traffic than a freeway stint.

9. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    because it's not a problem for you it's not a problem?
    why are you arguing that tracking cars place them at more risks of damage (accident, wear/tear, rock chips) than driving them occasionally on the road? it's a well-known fact.

10. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    that's my point.
    tracking, from a certain viewpoint, is as "damaging" as standing on cars. Yet some folks demonize only certain behavior.
    let them stand their cars. they can fix it.

anunakki likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think all the people are demonizing the behavior lack context. I think we all agree, it's not the smartest thing to start walking on any car (your own included) - nobody is debating that.

This is not a 'Jackass' move by a couple of knuckleheads 'just because.' I think we all agree if a kid just goes out and starts walking on their car for no reason..no bueno.

These are YouTube vloggers - and the photo makes perfect sense within that confine, logic dictates they got shoes fresh from the factory with no grime/dirt/rocks. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut chamois shoe sole shaped pads and taped them to the shoes before this 'stunt.' Even if they did damage their cars, the amount of attention and reaction the photo got proves they got exactly what they were looking for - and they can pay for any damage from the exposure the photo creates.

It's sort of like the cover of albums, some are purposely designed to be controversial and elicit a reaction.

Negative feedback is similar to criticizing the faux pas of this album cover.

Attached Files:

anunakki likes this.
  12. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The track is not a problem for me, so it's not a problem. And I don't drive my Ferraris occasionally, I drive them a lot. You also need to read the definition of fact. It is safer to be driving on a track with competent drivers who know the rules than it is to be on the roads with assorted morons. Track days are not racing. This was one of the best days I ever had driving. Then I went on a 4K mile week long vacation in the car. Many more dangers on the open road.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    If you don't want to do track days, don't do track days. But stop spreading misinformation that they will damage the car, because they don't. Every Ferrari model is developed on a track.

13. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    You can do track days if you want. Your car. Your decision.
    You can stand on your car if you want. Your car. Your decision.

You can believe whatever you want. However, insurance and the market believe tracking is less desirable for cars for a reason.

14. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yes, and as I pointed out that reason is an unreasonable misperception.

15. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I just wonder if the kids have not photo shopped themselves standing on the cars. Pretty difficult to tell if the job is well done.

16. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I don't care if they earned the money to buy these cars are not. I wont let anyone even touch my car, these guys are idiots..........now standing on a Porsche........... :) As it has been shown again and again money cannot buy taste or intelligence

up4speed and daytona355 like this.
  17. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Absolutely, the pair of em are acting like total ****s. It doesn’t matter how much money you have or haven’t got, why wantonly damage any car, especially your own?

Just makes me laugh that these guys are today’s youths heroes, whereas back in the day when I was at school, *******s like them were laughed at and despised, and often wedgied and worse, just because they were wierd...... how times have changed. These days, Biff Tannen would be the hero of back to the future because of his videos of lighting his own farts and flushing nerds down the toilet while wafting dollar bills around

Makuono likes this.
  18. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Did they? photos?

19. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Can’t imagine standing on them does much good do you? Maybe bring yours over, I’ll stand on it, we’ll see :)

20. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I hope they did that.

21. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    ha, that would be me allowing you to wantonly damage my car. Why would I do that?

22. Remember the alamo

Dec 9, 2014
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    YouTube isn’t that profitable for those who make videos.

‘Ads are only run on a minority of videos shown. Roughly, a video creator will earn $2,000 for every million views. "And then YouTube takes 45 percent," the Times notes. (The IRS will take its cut of the remainder, too.)’

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    So now you are saying they would damage YOUR car by standing on it, but not THEIR cars? Sounds reasonable :)

24. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Wrong if u monetize ur video u make what i mention. Plenty of videos and information. Ads are running IF ur account is approved for monetization AND u choose to monetize the video. Without ads u dont nake that much but once u are eligible and choose to do so u kake 7-8k per million; just ask doug demuro and his stupid video that just got him a ford gt.
    Also hoovies garage was recently in the forum and confirmed those figures he made on his testarossa videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Automoblog

Automoblog Karting

Jun 21, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Gino
    I'm happy they can afford such great cars, but nothing for me at least will ever excuse standing on a performance machine like those cars are. It's gross.

daytona355 likes this.