Michael Lynch | FerrariChat

Michael Lynch

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Jack-the-lad, Jan 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Doug Nye is reporting on Autosport.com that Michael Lynch has died. I have searched but have been unable to find any verification. I hope this is not accurate but Nye is typically a very reliable source, especially about such matters. Can someone confirm one way or the other?

Christian.Fr likes this.
  2. Pierre Coquet

Pierre Coquet Rookie

Mar 3, 2005
    F - 21340 Baubigny
    Full Name:
    Pierre Coquet
    Found yesterday on Facebook :

Alexis Lynch
    11 janvier, 14:35 ·
    Today the world lost one of its great story tellers and car aficionados. My dad moved on to the big race track in the sky.

My dad was one of those guys with such classic stories. He talked his way into Harvard, and then made money by writing people’s papers for them with a keg next to his desk. And his telling of it all never got old. He went on to eventually become a well-respected and loved car historian and author.

He was lucky enough to pass peacefully with the love of his life on one side of him and me on the other. And I was lucky enough for him to wait to go until I had achieved the important life milestones of a tremendous kid, career success and overall happiness I wanted him to see and be proud of. It feels trite to say I’ll miss him, but I really really will. Love you, Popsy.

And thank you to Vicki Lynch, his life partner for the past 27 years of marriage. She truly made him a better person and has been by his side through every difficult health crisis he faced over these past years. Not everyone finds their Vicki, and my dad is so damn lucky she chose him. (As am I.)

3. Ferri

Ferri Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hugo Garritsen
    Very sad new. Sincere condolences.

Hugo

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Michael T. Lynch just finished his new NART book end of last year.
    May he rest in peace.

Marcel Massini

375+ likes this.
  5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Very sad news indeed, Mike was one of the good guys. I'm happy to hear that he was able to complete the NART book. Rest in peace Mike.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  6. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thank you, Pierre.

Sincere condolences to the Lynch family.

7. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    I am really glad he was able to finish the book, as I knew health issues were building up over the last few years.

8. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    This is a huge loss of talent and knowledge to the Ferrari historian world. Michael and I had a one year overlap at the Harvard Business School in the late sixties and ever since we have exchanged dozens of e-mails concerning various aspects of early Ferrari trivia in search of the actual stories. He judged for many Concours until he lost a few friends for being an honest judge, in the earlier years he and Vicky graciously hosted annual get togethers at their home in Carmel during car week. His writing were always interesting to read and always well researched. Here in Santa Fe he led the special memorial to Denise McCluggage. When HelenAnn and I ran into them on the lawn at Pebble Beach this past August, we both commented on how good he and Vicki looked, all dressed up in classical Pebble Beach spectator attire. Our most sincere condolences to Vicky and Alexis, we will truly miss him.

Robert

375+, Bryanp and Jack-the-lad like this.
  9. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Additional information on the book from a source who spoke with Luigi since Michael's death:

It is close but not ready for print. There is at least one chapter/appendix to be added and it hasn't even been developed beyond a concept.....It will be definitive.....The book will definitely fill a major gap in Ferrari documented history.

Let's hope that these sad circumstances will not delay publication by too much. It sounds like the book will be a fine and lasting legacy.

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    A lot of special people are leaving us this winter....it seems the book kept him going until his work was done...it was an honor to speak with him and listen to his wisdom at Cavallino and Pebble as well as a few times on the phone, years ago, RIP Sir.

375+ and Jack-the-lad like this.
  11. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    Christian.Fr likes this.
  12. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Very sad. He was a true gentleman. Sincere condolences. Rest in peace Michael.

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I know Adolfo and recognize the gentleman at the other end. Can someone supply the names of the 4 on Adolfo's right?

14. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Possibly Winston Goodfellow on the far-right.

15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Absolutely not.
    And Michael Lynch is #2 from left.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats Adolfo Orsi

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thanks Marcel

18. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    From the far right to the left:

Mr. Adolfo Orsi
    Mr. Alfieri Maserati
    Mr. Tim Considine
    Mr. Michael Lynch
    Mr. Robert T Devlin

If i'm wrong, please correct me

Maarten

19. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Michael T. Lynch was also a very much respected member of the old Maserati telaio and posted numerous contributions. All with great knowledge.
    He also helped me with my first book.
    What a loss!

R.I.P.

(PS.: ...and one of this persons listed is -in my humble opinion- definitely NOT a Gentleman!)

Abi2612 likes this.
  20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Thank you. I thought the gentleman opposite Adolfo was Bob.

21. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss

22. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Does anyone know Lynch's proposed publisher? I read a NART Book recently that was very unsatisfying, a mere recounting of which cars they ran where and nothing really revealing about the personalities involved and all the intrigues.
    Here's the review of the one I read from Amazon.com. I'd say not worth the paper it's printed on....

N.A.R.T.: A concise history of the North American Racing Team 1957 to 1983Hardcover – December 14, 2015
    by Terry O'Neil (Author)

Most people with an interest in motor sport will be familiar with the acronym N.A.R.T., yet few people profess to know too much about the North American Racing Team.

Starting in the the second half of the 1950s, NART existed for three decades, during which it experienced successes on the tracks of America and Europe. It also suffered financial difficulties, and arguments with track organizers.

This book explains what NART was, how it was formed, and what it achieved over three decades of competition. It wasn't just sports cars that were entered into races, NART entered Formula One cars and Formula Junior cars as well.

Never as financially stable as his rival team owners, Chinetti did deals with Ferrari to purchase the latest specification sports cars at the end of a season, in order to attract the best drivers to drive for NART. It was also an opportunity to lease the cars on a race-by-race basis, an arrangement that appealed to some of Chinetti's clientele.

Whilst success on the track was significant, problems were never far away. Working on the cars with a limited number of staff, and not receiving spares from Ferrari on time, NART always appeared to be in a state of crisis.

No matter ... despite the difficulties, the formula worked well for Luigi Chinetti, and the acronym N.A.R.T. has rightly become legendary.

18 Used from $26.9521 New from $44.06

23. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    With cars dealers my friend , this is tough territory!!

24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    David Bull Publishing.

25. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #25 Jack-the-lad, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    When I go to the Bull web site I get a "private" page, password required. I wonder what's going on.

The FB page has an entry saying they are unable to fill any orders.

I know they were looking for a buyer about five years ago. This does not sound good.

This makes publication of the Chinetti/NART book seem even less certain.....