Picked up my Portofino Yesterday | FerrariChat

Picked up my Portofino Yesterday

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by JJ97, Jan 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JJ97

JJ97 Karting

Apr 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Joe Nocera
    When I picked yesterday for pick-up the 7 day forecast showed the best weather of the week in Chicago. Unfortunately, I woke up yesterday to freezing rain/snow. That said, I had already blocked out the afternoon from work and decided to pick up anyway.

First impressions, love the look of my spec and interior. The ride was super comfortable and this can very easily be a daily driver (that is a good thing in many ways, but I also would say it didn't feel as special or "fast" as my 430).

I didn't really get to drive it very hard or fast given how poor the weather was, so I am looking forward to a day soon where I can get it a proper drive to better compare with the 430. Overall, I would say I love it and I am glad I got it. I will definitely drive it more frequently.

That being said, I already miss my 430 and I could see me eventually buying a 458 so I still have that special sports car feel to drive from time to time.

Here are some basic pics, didn't have time to do too much given the weather.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

red308, stavura, Bandit23 and 6 others like this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Beautiful. Congrats. Which red is that?
    T

3. JJ97

JJ97 Karting

Apr 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Joe Nocera
    It is just the straight Corsa Rosso. It amazing how much this car's color can change based upon the way the light hits it. The styling of this body is just awesome. I love the look of this car.

4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks. Aha, now I see RC on the plate in the trunk! :cool:
    T

5. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    How long from Red 10 to delivery of your car did it take?

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations!!! Yes, you are giving up some of that sports car feel of the 430 to get a more rounded car in the Portofino. When you get the chance to really dig into the driving experience when the weather warms up, you will see its still very much a Ferrari :)

7. JJ97

JJ97 Karting

Apr 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Joe Nocera
    Deposit went down May 25, 2018.

Production spot opened up last week of July. Then the factory shutdown for august.

I didn't think it actually went R10 until Sept.

First production picture was mid October, came off the assembly line end of October

Made it to my dealer on December 22nd.

It was a long and winding road!

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Actually I liked the F430 spider better than the 458 spider.

The Port is a real GT daily driver. They may be made by the same manufacturer but they are still apples and oranges.

I really like your spec!

9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Very nice car, I have said this a few times before I have a Calf T, and if you drive it like a sports car (mine does not have the handling package) it will behave like one. Most of this it is a GT stuff is just in your mind because of what you have read. Off the track and not trying to loose your license the Porto will do the same thing the 430 did maybe even better in that spec. Enjoy.

ferrari52000 likes this.
  10. marathon guy

marathon guy Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    paul
    I preferred the F430 to the 458 as well, felt much more connected to the driver and great sound (I think it looks better as well but that's subjective)
    Problem with both cars is you really cant really use them as a daily driver, but a Cali / Porto you can

11. JJ97

JJ97 Karting

Apr 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Joe Nocera
    I know I am going to regret selling my 430 someday. I am super happy with the Porto and know I will get more use out of it. But that 430 was damn fun to drive. Just wish I had more storage space as I ran out of room in the garage. Hard to justify paying year around in Chicago for extra storage. I really need to look into buying a garage in the suburbs.

12. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    ....And its gorgeous out here in Chicago today (Cold but not a cloud in the sky). Hope you are out enjoying it this afternoon.

13. JJ97

JJ97 Karting

Apr 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Joe Nocera
    That is exactly what I was doing. I looked out my office window at 12:30, checked the temperature on the weather app and took it for a 3 hour drive (mostly up and down Lake Shore Dr). I must say that I love the gear box and this car’s ability to get torque onto the road. The turbo’s kick in at just the right point and the response is great. Huge fan of the power.

I even put the top down for a few minutes and the sound did get better. Still not sure it “sounds” as good as a 430 or 458, but it certainly is fun to drive.

Overall a huge fan and totally fun 3 hours. I am sure I will get tons of enjoyment out of this. Here is a pic with top down

Image Unavailable, Please Login

red308, BHMSOCCER, tifoso2728 and 7 others like this.
  14. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Awesome! Looks great

15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Well, all of those are subjective. Objective is anything that is independently quantifiable, i.e. numbers!!! Even though I love the 430, the 458 ran rings around it...

Jamie traina likes this.
  16. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Beautiful car

17. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    IMHO I don't think that there should be a comparison of the Portofino with other F cars, except the Cali.

The Porto is designed to be a completely different car to a 430, 458, F12, GTC Lusso etc. However, it should, and IMO has the Ferrari DNA.

It is designed to be an exciting everyday GT car with usable space. I quote the first line of Ferrari's Portofino Product Information 'The Ferrari Portofino is the most versatile model in the range, a Ferrari that can be used every day and can convert from a coupe to a spider, making it perfect for any occasion'.

Ferrari themselves compare it to the Porsche 911 Turbo Cab, Mercedes SL63 AMG and Bentley Continental GTC V8S. Not any other car in their range. Test drives for journalists were not on track and road, like the 488 and 812. They were on roads only.

The Potofino's / Cali's use are as an everyday town and city car that can be used for getting away for weeks and weekends with a partner and even small children.

The 430, 458 and 488's use are more a car for special events and days out, but can be used during the week.

Texas2step and tomc like this.
  18. Zisky

Zisky Rookie

May 12, 2018
    Long Island NY
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Its a great looking car!! Congratultions, will be looking to upgrade my Cali in a few years.

JJ97 and Bandit23 like this.
  19. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    Congratulations, similar to Zisky's comment -I too will look to upgrade in few years
    Beautiful car lovely color options....

push it hard :)

best wishes

JJ97 likes this.
  20. NZCREW

NZCREW Karting

Nov 20, 2018
    Any pics of the Daytona seats please?

21. JJ97

JJ97 Karting

Apr 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Joe Nocera
    I don't have a great pic as its in Winter Storage until I get a nice day to get it out again. Going through my pics, this is the best one I have that sorta shows the pics:

Can get a better shot the first time I have the car out of storage, but might be a few weeks here in Chicago.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. BHMSOCCER

BHMSOCCER Rookie

Dec 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brett
    My Portofino must have been on the same boat as yours. It came in quicker than I expected. Due to a pre-planned vacation and then weather, I have not taken it out for a spin. Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Very nice. TdF blue? Congrats.
    T

24. JJ97

JJ97 Karting

Apr 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Joe Nocera
    Love that color, man this car looks good in just above every color there is.

25. NZCREW

NZCREW Karting

Nov 20, 2018
    Looks good. I'm thinking the Daytona seats are a key option to get. Keen to see more shots later! :)