348 running issue | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 running issue

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Will348, Dec 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob.kruiswijk

rob.kruiswijk Formula 3

Jun 15, 2014
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Or grounding problem

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #27 ernie, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    That is the first thing that came to my mind also. I have taken apart 2 fuel tanks and both of the rubber vibration dampeners where disintegrating/disintegrated. If the sleeves on the fuel pumps have never been changed, I would pull both of them and change the sleeves for some new units made out of Viton. I think Daniel has some at Ricambi. The Buna rubber bits can cause the screens around the pumps to get clogged, and if they get into the pump/s can cause them to go bad. Here is the DIY from when I did mine 10 years ago. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/348-fuel-pump-rebuild.224988/. This thread is for removing the tank, but I also show how I removed the pumps. You don't have to drop the tank to get the pumps out. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/348-gas-tank-removal.193188/ And change your fuel filters while you are at it. Regardless of if that solves your no-power issue, it is something that need to be addressed anyway.

3. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    All good suggestions. The "happening while turning" comment from earlier makes me wonder about battery connections. Mine was done with quick connects on an Optima and came loose on my maiden voyage. I just recounted this in the "wheel fell off thread." Young "mechanics" can make boneheaded mistakes.

4. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I am pretty sure I have this problem but I'm putting it off until I do the Major Service. We cannot run our car anywhere near empty. As long as the tank is above half all is well but below a quarter it barely runs. Last time it happened I limped into the gas station spitting and sputtering. Filled it up and peeled out of the lot at 7800RPM tires-a-smokin'.

5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #30 taz355, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    You really are playing russian roulette.
    All people who own these cars need to replace these parts if they have not been replaced.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

These are not unusual circumstances they will all be bad just different levels.

This is what my 99 looked like on the major in 2018.
    Cheap and preventative.

Please note no issues were experienced before this was done so they can be in very bad shape without any problems.

ernie likes this.
  6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    My 348 came in from Canada just over a year ago, where they haven't pushed ethanol nearly as much as the US, nor for as long. When available, ethanol was typically at 5%.

I'm hoping to stay lucky. :)

7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Be sure to keep us posted of what you find when you finally dig in.

taz355 likes this.
  8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think this fix is less dollars than an oil change 50 dollars per pump maybe without filters. If you have caught it early then dont replace filters until major. Before you decide just read Ernies thread on 348 tank replacement .
    You ONLY need to do the pump NOT remove the tank.
    I bel8eve it was 2 connections, and maybe 4 bolts and let the pump out. If its 2 pumps do 1 at a time.
    I have done a lot of maintenance on my car and this was less messy than changing oil because it drains out the bottom.
    I cannot stress this enough. I think if you read about procedure you will see its very simple (I like you was scared) to do this but at least then your informed.

Just thought of another reason to do this now is if you leave it and do it when the engine is out you have introduced another place to make a mistake and second guess why your car may not start after the engine out. This was my exact case for me and cost me a few days of diagnosis as to why the fuel pump would not start and prime the rail.

Talk about second guessing everything you have done.

As usuall it was a totally u unrelated connection, and had I done it while the car was running it still would have been running after the pump fix because that connection never gets touched and would have saved a whole bunch of stress and 2 days time.

At the end of the day its your car so Im out and good luck whichever way you go.

9. Will348

Will348 Rookie

Dec 5, 2018
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    William
    Hello

Sorry for my absence I’ve been abroad with work, Today we found the problem with my car,

A pipe had come off one of the fuel pumps so was just pumping the fuel back round the tank

The first mechanic too look at the car told me it wasn’t a fuel issue, my usual mechanic who was away at the time found no fuel in the line.

I can also confirm all the black rubber coming off on the pump

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    there was a reason why I suggested checking fuel pressure at the fuel rails. Glad that you found the problem.

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    One of these days I'm going to install pressure gauges on the fuel rails (scrolling through this thread).