F430 aftermarket wheels, 20"/20" or 20"/21" setup? | FerrariChat

F430 aftermarket wheels, 20"/20" or 20"/21" setup?

Discussion in '360/430' started by A_Scuderia_F430, Jan 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A_Scuderia_F430

Oct 31, 2012
    SE + DE
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #1 A_Scuderia_F430, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Hi,
    I'm going for a aftermarket set of wheels for my F430. I was quite sure that I wanted 20"/20", but I have got second thoughts..

235-35-19 --> 245-30-20 (Height +0.7 cm, +1.0%)
    (225-35-19 --> 245-30-20 (Height +1,5 cm, +2.3%))
    285-35-19 --> 325-25-21 (Height +1.2 cm, +1.7%)
    285-35-19 --> 325-25-20 (Height -1.2 cm, -1.7%)

Most people seem to go for the 20"/20" setup with 245-30 and 325-25 tires.
    To get the car to look good, that must mean that it has to have a lower rear suspension setup than intended, which changes the rake ratio and looks.
    But for example, I think that Ronnie's yellow F430 with 20"/20" looks great with his suspension setup, even with the changed rake ratio.
    Will this +1.0% front and -1.7% rear sizes interfere with the F430 ESP/eDiff etc? I know it can be a problem on Lambos.

A 20"/21" setup would be more like original and thus more or less correct rake, but thankfully without the OEM "Donald Duck profile" on the rear wheel.

I'm unsure of what I think of a bigger wheel in the rear VS the front, when it comes to looks...
    You guys that has got 20"/20" or 20"/21", how was your thought process when deciding?

2. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I have 20" all around, lowered, no issues... I think 21" too big.... maybe try 19" front & 20" in rear if you want that look

3. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login I have 20s all the way around also. I was not going to lower it originally but after the wheels were on, the gaps were too big and bothered me. I lowered the car and had a 4 wheel alignment. All good and no issues. Here are pictures of the before lowering and after.

4. Buzios

Buzios Karting

Aug 5, 2018
    I’m sticking to 19” on my new wheels for several reasons:
    1. It avoids any ABS/e-diff/other issues that we all know the FCars are finicky about;
    2. I think the brakes look better in 19” wheels. I have the CCB option on mine and they look awesome inside 19” wheels. They could still be ok on 20” wheels, but I think the standard steel brakes look tiny with a 20” setup;
    3. I don’t think the lower profile tires are a great idea in general (I have them on my other car and all I can say is I’m so glad I have tire and wheel insurance);
    4. The Italian engineers picked 19”, so I’m sticking with that.

Obviously, to each their own - just sharing my perspective.

Good luck and please post some pics once it’s all done!

5. A_Scuderia_F430

Oct 31, 2012
    SE + DE
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ok... Your reply did not add anything useful at all. Just your personal opinion that 19" is enough because Ferrari say so and you don't like low profile due to comfort and bad roads. That was not the question. Read my initial post again.
    Or do you mean that the 245-30-20 and 325-25-20 will cause trouble with ABS/e-diff? Do you know that for a fact?

6. Buzios

Buzios Karting

Aug 5, 2018
    I’m sorry you feel that way. You’re clearly new to the community, so you might want to take the time to understand both (1) the value of people offering a different perspective vs. what you were originally thinking, and (2) the idea of common curtesy with members that are trying to help you and/or others who might search this thread in the future.

All the best in your search.

7. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    bocaf430 and A_Scuderia_F430 like this.
  8. A_Scuderia_F430

Oct 31, 2012
    SE + DE
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #9 A_Scuderia_F430, Jan 5, 2019
    Sorry if I offended you or the whole community.
    I'm not used to get off topic answers to specific questions, in the communitys I use daily. That would cause some problem, if all topics went off topic.
    Sorry.

I really appreciate the pictures and info from you guys above that run 20's. Thanks! Hopefully more will post their experience.
    Maybe I should have been more precise in my initial post, I guess I just thought I was.
    I should add then that I'm looking for other peoples real experience in choosing 20" and/or 21" wheels (only) wheels for the Ferrari F430.
    My roads are flat an without potholes, so no problem there. I run at lest 20" on all my cars, I want to feel the road. Comfort secondary.
    The new wheels are lighter than the Ferrari ones and I know all about unsprung weight, offsets, tires and fender modifications needed.
    Thanks.

Buzios likes this.
  9. BCS

BCS Karting

Aug 28, 2007
    NJ/NY
    Full Name:
    Bill
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Im running 20/20 ADV.1 5.2SL with 245/30 front and 325/25 rear.

I have no issues with ABS, etc. I drive in Northern NJ and yes the roads are not the best but Im very careful and havent had any issues w/ bent rims, blown tires, etc. (KNOCKING ON WOOD)

I am experiencing rubbing issues b/c I lowered on stock springs and my rears are 12.5 wide and sit flush with the outer well. I will most likely have to roll or better yet, get new springs as lowering on stock springs supposedly has the opposite effect of better handling/performance. Lowering on 20s with such a low profile tire is a must. If you dont lower, it will look ridiculous with a tremendous amount of tire/fender gap. Trust me, you have to go lowered with 20s.

As for the comment on steel brakes on 20s looking small, it's all about the spoke pattern, etc. While the Larger calibers and ceramic discs look awesome, Im content with the look of my set up and think my brakes (which are steel) look so much better in my wheel set up vs the stock ball polished wheel.
    [​IMG]

A_Scuderia_F430 likes this.
  10. Chux360

Chux360 Rookie

Aug 14, 2017
    Golden, Colorado USA
    Don’t forget, if you change the wheel and/or tire size it will affect the accuracy of your speedometer. If you care about that, it will need to be recalibrated. Of course, Ferrari speedometers are well-known to be inaccurate already.

Sent from Chux iPhone

A_Scuderia_F430 likes this.
  11. DARIES

DARIES Karting

Aug 16, 2011
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is my 20 / 21 set up with 375x20x21 in the back, unfortunately Pirelli doesn't make that size anymore. I Had to modify inside of the fenders to have no issues with rubbing. I love these sizes on this car really feels up the fenders. I try to modify my cars with a very OEM look, but aggressive using a lot parts from the challenge racing cars. At the end of the day, I love the way it looks, and gives me a smile everytime I Look at it and that's all that matters.
    And remember, if you don't look back at it at least twice while walking away from it, than it still doesn't look right ;) Enjoy!

12. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Those Novitecs for sale won’t help you then— 19” front and 20” rear.

13. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #14 unreelviper, Jan 5, 2019
    I”m one of the few owners of a F430 that took a chance of going with a 20/21” wheel combo on my spider. I have no ABS problems. I have a 20x9 front(245/30/20) and a 21x12.5 Rear (325/25/21). I love the rake that the car has with the staggered offset. If you see my car in person, one would think that my wheels are a 19/20 setup(I get that all the time). I added a Big Brake kit as well because I think that the car looks weird with some of the bigger wheels and the small 4 piston brakes and rotors. I also lowered my car slightly on the stock springs and had the car realigned. I didn’t lower my car to the point that I had to roll the fenders. My car has never bottomed out nor has the wheels rubbed after going over a bump. I’ve always installed bigger wheels on my sportscars( just personal preference). I believe in personalizing my cars to my liking without going overboard. At the end of the day just realize that everyone isn’t going to approve or like the way that you mod your car,however, it’s your car so you do what pleases you. Good luck with your decision.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. A_Scuderia_F430

Oct 31, 2012
    SE + DE
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Big thanks for all the pictures! Looks great! :)

DARIES and unreelviper like this.
  15. F1fletch

F1fletch Rookie

Nov 21, 2019
    Pacifica
    Full Name:
    Darren Fletcher
    Which wheels are these, look like HRE’s?
    What width and tire sizes...love the look!

16. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank you!
    The wheels are Modulare B18
    Front tires are 245/30/20 and rear 325/25/20

ferrari 4404 and unreelviper like this.
  17. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Definitely go with the 20"/21" setup.

Nice.

unreelviper likes this.
  18. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    I think it really depends what your future goals are with the car..........

Own a Ferrari , don't modify and go about your merry way......20" / 21"

Modify it slightly but not really looking to break land speed records.......20" all around

You want an awesome track car or highly modified street monster.......19" all around

19. SparkyF-Car

SparkyF-Car Rookie

Sep 1, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Joel Padama
    #20 SparkyF-Car, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    I recently had a set of 20 inch Avant Garde M650 put on my 2005 F430 Berlinetta. I had the shop drop the stock coilovers down 8 turns on all four corners (to keep the stock rake) and they do a 4 wheel alignment. They are 20x9 +25 (235/30ZR20) and 20x11 +30 (295/30ZR20) with no rubbing during normal driving. I have not driven the car aggressively yet, and if I get it to rub, I will report back.

As far as my thought process, I initially purchased 15 mm Hill Engineering spacers/extended bolts (for sale by the way, with less than 100 miles on them - PM me if interested) and mounted them on the stock wheels. It looked really good and I thought I would be satisfied, but then I started looking online for all the different styles of rim/tire combos. After weeks of searching and reading forum posts, I had my local shop contact Avant Garde to confirm the correct fitment. I have been modding cars since my early years and as I have gotten older, I only do basic items now (wheels, suspension, and exhaust). My #1 criteria was NO RUBBING... I am too old for that stuff now! :)

I hope this helps!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sam Saraf, GTuned, F1fletch and 2 others like this.
  20. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    what front bumper is that? How involve is it to install them. Just the bumper or you need undertray etc

21. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    I actually went down to 18”
    Front 18x10.5 with 265/35/18
    Rear 18x12 with 315/35/18

going to fit 18x11 and 18x13 next just because this is the size I run on the vette and with same size wheels and dual bolt pattern I don’t have to have too many extra wheels for track day.

Attached Files:

Sam Saraf and unreelviper like this.
  22. DARIES

DARIES Karting

Aug 16, 2011
    ts the racing GTC front bumper and the front lip which is adjustable. same installation as the regular bumper.

You can get it at ANSA Motorsports in Miami

23. Sunny Moran

Sunny Moran Rookie

Jan 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    sunny moran
    Can you share wheel brand and model? they look great in your car