Home Gym Recommendation | FerrariChat

Home Gym Recommendation

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Derekmson, Oct 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Derekmson

Derekmson Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 4, 2017
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Alfreda Powell
  2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Some of your links don't work because of the way you copied and pasted them. It looks like you highlighted a link in a webpage that abbreviated it rather than from the URL bar at the top of the browser.

Anyway, for $500 you should be able to easily get a used stationary bike, adjustable weight bench, olympic bench, olympic style weights with matching dumbbell and bench bars (not just lots of dumbbells at varying weights) off FB Marketplace or Craigslist.

3. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    What is your current fitness level (age, examples of current things you do, etc.)?

Are you interested in strength training, aerobic training, or both?

For strength training, what is your depth of knowledge?

Either way, what are your goals?

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I just got this: https://www.nordictrack.com/treadmills/commercial-2450-treadmill

I've used it 4 times in the last week and I love it. The iFit workouts are really good and engage your mind so the time goes by fast and it's not boring. My goal is weight loss and overall cardio health and stamina building.

A big part of the price is the screen. This one is fine but a bigger screen would be better. If I did it over, I'd probably spend more for a bigger screen.

5. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    And since Dave busted your budget, I have and Inspire FT-2 and a set of Ironmaster dumbbells. About 5K all in, but works flawlessly, and I'm really picky.

6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I've had an old Bowflex PowerPro since I bought it new in 1997. There is no iron, so it's easy to move. In fact, I used to take the Lat Tower off, fold it up, and it fit under the tonneau cover of my pickup. No joke, I took it on the road with me when I was a FEMA contractor. The problem has always been that 410 Bowflex Rods is not nearly enough resistance if you're serious about getting failure-point strong. So, I got an aftermarket rack that holds 630 rods. With that, the Lat Tower, and the Squat Attachment, I think it is the best home gym of all time. Especially for us older guys, because the rods are super easy on the joints: No inertia to overcome, and no momentum to slow down; those are the factors that stress joints the most. Plus, Bowflex squats are the safest squats you can do. You start out seated with the padded bar on your shoulders, and if you fail the initial standup, you just sit back down. And the platform keeps you from splaying your legs too wide. This combined with the action of the rods - when you are all the way down, the only weight on your knees is your bodyweight and the pre-load, then the resistance increases as you stand up - keeps everything nice and safe. You also don't need a spotter with a Bowflex, because you use grips instead of a bar for bench and military presses. I spend a few hours on it almost every day.

Strength training does not burn fat though. Only aerobics does that, and the duration needs to be over thirty minutes with an 8+ calorie per minute burn rate (About what a fit jogger burns). The reason isn't only that after fifteen minutes your body begins to metabolize a little fat directly, but because aerobics changes the levels of several hormones, notably testosterone and the XXX-21 (Can't remember the exact letters) hormone that actually helps the body regulate fat levels. That's why I was skinny when I was in my 20's and running over 40 miles per week, despite my diet being mostly pizza, beer, and Gummy Bears. :)

I have a Bowflex MAX M5 full body aerobics trainer and I love it. I just put something I want to watch that's an hour long on TV, and then I lose track of the time. It has a calorie burn speedometer and it totals your time and calories burned. I can "feel" what nine calories per minute is, so I just coast. Forget intervals, that crap is just crazy uncomfortable and will turn you off to aerobics forever. There is no replacing duration.

7. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    George, what you said is generally but not always true. I live my life in ketosis, and therefore (AFAIK from the medical endocrinologists and lipidologists I've consulted with) even early on in my aerobic workouts I'm burning fat. Also, what you burn in an aerobic event is partially dependent on what heart rate range you are working out in, because the average person has A LOT of glycogen, and while you burn fat concomitantly that burn ratio depends on many things. I also disagree that HIIT (intervals) are crap. They are really hard, and not for most people. But they are as (or more) valid than LSD (long slow distance) depending on your specific fitness goals.

8. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I did Atkins before it was cool. I lost a lot of fat, but I felt lethargic and run down all the time. I choose not to be miserable.

Intervals are ridiculous, and I did them for many weeks. LSD - long, slow distance - is the cure for many ills, including sinusitis and low-t. Again, there is no replacing duration. If you're really serious about it, go until your sweat smells like ammonia. Long periods of sweating is the only workout there is for your skin.

Humans are omnivores. Carbs are not the enemy.

9. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Are you aware of the medical conditions that can make carbohydrate consumption very deleterious to one's health?

Are you aware of the papers showing excellent performance by athletes in ketosis in endurance events?

Are you dismissing the large body of exercise physiology and evidence on the effects of High Intensity Interval Training?

Please provide peer reviewed references on sinusitis (other than the generic benefit of exercise for health) and please provide more details on sweating and the workout for your skin (I'm a Dermatologist, and anxious to hear).

My issue is not what works for you when presented that way, but you seem to be presenting these things as universal truths applicable to everyone. That in my opinion is dangerous as what you presented are not.

sf_hombre likes this.
  10. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Back to the OP question. If this is a purchase you are sure about and you expect that you will use it for years, raise your budget. If not, look used. You can do great training with body weight exercises, and some household items (a small suitcase filled with books can be used for a variety of weight exercises). But nice used equipment can be done within your budget. I'm not sure you would be satisfied with new within your price range.

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If you are looking for free weights check out Weider stuff. It's relatively inexpensive.

Check out Walmart for a weight bench.

And you can get a stepper which, trust me, is can work you harder than a tread mill.

And then get an step and a couple of step aerobics DVDs and you'll be set.

Nothing fancy. It doesn't have to be expensive to work you hard. I've had trash like this at home for 25years, weights for 40, and it all still works. Heck, my aerobics workouts are on VHS tape. :)

Now, if you need motivation, forget the home stuff and join a fitness center.

12. marathon guy

marathon guy Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    paul
    My opinion is a pair of running shoes and dumbells and barbells .
    Your muscles have no idea if you are lifting shiny weights on a fancy machine or rusty pair of dumbells!
    Same with running , much more pleasant out in the countryside then a dreadmill!
    Take the Rocky approach over Ivan Drago!

rampante550 likes this.
  13. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Funny you should mention Ivan Drago. When I first saw that climbing machine he used, I really wanted one. When I discovered the MAX M5 full body aerobic trainer, I thought it was even cooler than his climber. :)

14. marathon guy

marathon guy Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    paul
    That's a very expensive looking clothes hanger / drier!

15. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I spend over twenty hours a month on it. I used to run over 40 miles per week, but now I view running as primitive and harmful to your joints. It's also an objectively inferior workout in terms of range of motion, and this exercises your arms as well. Running is so 70's. :)

16. marathon guy

marathon guy Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    paul
    Nothing wrong with 70's running

Attached Files:

autobrains, lagunacc and G. Pepper like this.
  17. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That's when I started running! I graduated high school in '76.

18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Intervals by far better than distance.
    Is more in tune with how humans have evolved also.
    We are not by design long distance runners.
    Read, lots of studies. Cheers.

19. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Just get a Concept 2 rower and go!

rampante550 likes this.
  20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    autobrains and BOKE like this.
  21. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    Go free weights, dumbbells, barbells and etc .. forget about the machines! And you will get results ;) I'm a professional model and I practice ever since I was little child. Good luck with your new GYM , best wishes ;)

22. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Did you do it long enough and well enough to get your body used to it? Atkins is a brand. It was ketogenic before during and after the Atkins fad. And It’s probably only low carb. Low carb sucks. Your body and brain never get used to it. Go under 20 carbs a day for a while and you get into ketosis and it’s great. “Low carb is like an alcoholic being allowed one drink on Friday. Torture. Carbs definitely are the enemy if your trying to get to a higher level of fitness and or under 15 percent body fat

23. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Someone already mentioned the concept 2 rower.

24. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    My home gym was about a thousand, although a third of it was elective/cosmetic because I wanted a certain vibe. My top requirements - 1) facilitate compound exercises 2) do not lose ability to park a car in the garage.

All started with nearly buying a free-standing boxing station at a yard sale, which then turned into finding wall-mounted and seeing that I needed to mount a couple 2x6s for the installation. That morphed into running them between two windows, then expanding them along that whole wall, then adding a second wall.

I wanted a power rack, but really didn't want to lose the garage space, so had the idea to have murphy-style squat and bench height catches that could store away. I use posts there to support the weight and the brackets support far more than I'll ever lift (750 lbs).

I was missing row exercises, and saw the free-standing landmine at a gym in VA. Took forever to find one. It's basically a steel home plate that fits nicely in the corner. Can use it for a half-dozen exercises and it provides a clean storage place for the bar when the catches are flipped away.

Overall, I like what this turned into. This was my first home and realized quickly I never use our front door or really see the foyer. Now coming home is a little more visually eventful :)

Here's the cost outline:
    • $50 - Heavy bag & wall mount (new mount, used bag)
    • $35 - Speed bag & wall mount (new mount, replaced new bag with used leather bag)
    • $280 - 205 lb in bumper plates (new, didn't want to put mats down, so wanted bumpers and there wasn't much price difference vs. buying used, wanted made in usa)
    • $50 - 45 lb olympic bar and clips (used)
    • $60 - brackets for bench
    • $180 - corner landmine (new, couldn't find used)
    • $20 - used firehose (saw at antique store, had idea to use for ropes, looked up, turns out people use them for that)
    • $250 - wood & stain (mostly elective, but I figured make it a feature)
    • $100 - lights and pleated flags (great vibe)
    • $0 - use a wood bench I already had for bench exercises (actually not that bad without padding)
    • $0 - old jump rope
    I have a concept2 rower from when I coached, but usually keep it in the house. If I had a basement, I probably would have built a wooden power rack. I might add a pull-up bar next year.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

autobrains, ReyMond45 and Nicolas21 like this.
  25. AlexLuck

AlexLuck Rookie

Jan 16, 2020
    Full Name:
    Alex Atkinson
    I think, there are lots of options for fitness equipment, but you have to know which type of exercise stress you need.