Ducati finally got it right | FerrariChat

Ducati finally got it right

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by FerrariF50lover, Mar 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I gave the Ducati V4 a ride in Florida on Wednesday. Finally after all the years Ducati made a superbike that rode well on the street and wasn't painful! My biggest complaints about the the past bikes were they were so uncomfortable to ride long distances on the street. The ergonomics feel very much like my S1000's or the RSV4. If you're thinking about picking one up, don't hesitate Ducati knocked this one out of the park!

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Nice. I wonder when they'll bring out the V4R.

3. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I believe thats what the Speciale is. It certainly is priced like an R.

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    It is absolutely not an R or anywhere close to it. It's not R spec and it's just a V4s with a lot of Ducati Performance parts on it and a special paint job. The V4R will be WSBK spec and be unveiled in Oct/Nov. It will be 999cc's and have all the necessary homologated parts for SBK competition.

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    The V4R is gonna be bonkers.

BMW.SauberF1Team and sherpa23 like this.
  6. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Thanks for confirming the V4R. I wasn't sure if it was confirmed or simply rumor given the R series Ducati has been doing with each gen.

7. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Interesting. I wish I could have tested one out before I declared my hatred for Ducati. I had a 959 for about 5 months and despised practically every minute of it. HOT, uncomfortable, engine braking, etc etc BUT it looked cool. I tried so hard to like it but finally gave up. I literally pissed on it and took it back to the dealer.

I wholesaled the POS back to the dealer at a $5000 loss. I'm back on a lowly Honda CBR 10000. Couldn't be happier.

Make sure you do a long test ride if you're considering that marque.

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Granted, the 999 isn't for everyone. Nor is Ducati for that matter. ;)

I had a 1098S and a S4RS, both phenomenal bikes. And the Monster was the most comfortable of any bikes I've ridden. Too bad I live in central FL, which is why my biker days are over. Otherwise I'd have a xDiavel for sure (with rear-sets).

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Forgive my harsh rant. No need to kill anyone else's buzz. I wanted to like that bike so much but I was very disappointed.

Anyway, the new V4 does look great.

FLORIDAsnakeEyes likes this.
  10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I'm not sure where the talk of the 999 came from but I have every generation of Ducati Superbike consisting of the SP, R, and SL versions from the early 90's to now. I have spare parts in the basement that I gathered up as far back as the late 90's. New bikes are kind of lost on me but I have yet to ride and work on motorbikes as spectacular as Ducatis.

The 916 generation of bikes remain my favorite, fwiw. They made three homologation specials: the 916SPS, 996R, and 998R and they are all truly special machines even though they're about 20 years old at this point.

Ducman491 and Texas Forever like this.
  11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Bumping up an old thread. The V4R was announced since we last talked about it.

With race kit it has 234 hp and dry weight of 165.5 kg. Without the kit it's 221 hp and 172 kg.

https://www.ducati.com/ww/en/bikes/panigale/panigale-v4-r

Edit: $40k USD and should be available March 2019. Revs up to 16k or so. A steal...

LVP488 likes this.
  12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Wish I was 20 years younger for this bike.

Don't think I've ever seen wings (spoilers or airfoils) on a production bike before.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  14. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    The 2000 Kawasaki ZX-12R had “winglets.” They were stock. They were also on my 12R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G. Pepper likes this.
  15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Good to know, thanks.

"The whole of the bike’s styling apparently owes itself to the pursuit of speed: the winglets on the fairing (to help separate smooth, upper-fairing airflow from the lower, turbulent air whipped up by the front wheel); the small radiator opening; the raked windscreen; the weirdly shaped, ’68 Camaro-style mirrors (which buzz and fuzz the rearview); the smooth fairing sides; and full-length belly pan. All do their part to ease the bike’s passage through the atmosphere."

https://www.cycleworld.com/kawasaki-ninja-zx-12r-sportbike-road-test-motorcycle-review

16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I'm looking for some encouragement here ;)
    Having saved money by not going for a Pista, I registered to take part in the Caterham Academy... and I still have some leftover, so I seriously consider replacing my Monster 1100 evo by a Panigale V4 s - any thoughts?

17. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Theres quite a few left over 18 S for deals. I rode a base last year which is why I started this thread. The bike is honestly a ton of fun, insanely fast, and has great ergo. The bike is a 1000 percent improvement over the 1199/1299. I would for sure go for one.

18. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca
    I couldn't agree more about the 916 generation. The most beautiful sport bikes ever made. Never is a long time but nobody will never make a sport bike that can match the looks of the 916.

I currently have a 14 Multi Pikes Peak and I think it is the best all around motorcycle I have ever owned. Every day I pray that they will put the V4 in the Multi.

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Just spent a day riding a freinds hypomotard. It was a revelation, its all there.

20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Now that I ordered the F8, the Panigale V4 is going away - it would have been more selfish also, since my GF would not have had any benefit from it...
    I'm still fascinated by how (relatively) limited money could get you the best of the best of motorbikes, while for cars the best of the best is completely out of reach for me.

21. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    What’s the MSRP on this -$40k?

No thanks, I’d be more inclined to go for the 1299 or 959 given budget and limited ability to manhandle 200+ hp on a street bike.

22. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The V4R and the F8 are perfection. I would buy either one just to have in my office.

I sometimes stash my RSV4 in my lab just so that I can be close to it. I don’t ride it much but I will never get rid of it because it’s so damn beautiful.

These things a this level are art pieces.

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I agree. The D16RR is still a bargain for MotoGP tech and goes for less than $50k. That plus a V4R as the WSBK equivalent would be the best combo.

24. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    View attachment 2154806 View attachment 2098373

I was at Colin’s shop yesterday and he took me back to see the V4R. What a machine. He said I could put the winglets on my RSV4. No thanks I’m not sure what to make of them. But the bike is two wheel aststetic perfection.

25. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    About time. I've never cared for their bikes. I an quite bias to MV and Aprilia..

Wouldn't mind test riding the new one

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk