ABS Pump Rebuild Service | FerrariChat

ABS Pump Rebuild Service

Discussion in '348/355' started by Timo04, Dec 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Timo04

Timo04 Karting

Jul 2, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #1 Timo04, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Greetings,

Does anyone happen to know of a power brake service that rebuilds these ATE ABS booster pumps for the F348/355? If you do, please post the name and contact information. Many thanks!

BTW: I checked with Karp's Power Brake Service in Upland, CA and they won't touch 'em

A Happy New Year to all!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
  3. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    What is the issue? Pretty easy to fix. Typically a new pressure pod and the green “switch/valve” replacement is the repair that solves the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I was going to say same thing. If motor is gone likely just brushes so you can fix those as well

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Or you can buy a rebuilt one from a place in the UK. Don't try to buy one off a junk yard. They want a lot for … junk.

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yup that works too

7. Timo04

Timo04 Karting

Jul 2, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tim
    What is the name this service in the UK? I agree to avoid the junk yard ones for sure.

Thanks for the all the tips gentlemen.

The issue with one pump is that it has leaky seals, although it runs OK, it leaks. I have not been able to source the correct seals, and want to make sure they are of good quality. The issue with the two other pumps is that they do not run, hence they probably have bad motors with worn bushes and possibly bad armatures.

With regards to a faulty or non-functioning Tevis Mark II ABS typically if the pump motor runs well, and there are no leaks, replacing the accumulator (the black ball) with a good, brand new one, will solve a whole lot of issues (as mentioned above). Or replacing the pressure switch will also resolve a lot of issues as well (also mentioned above).

I am aware that much of the time a worn out accumulator is the main issue. Worn out accumulators will make the motor and pump work harder and thus shorten their life as well. I have found that the accumulators typically go bad long before the pressure switches go out. This is due to the membrane (or bladder) inside the accumulators. When they are not even being used, they have a limited shelf life too. When sourcing a new one, the build date should be as recent as possible. I look for ones that are no older than three years. Of course, the newer the better.

If I can source good seals, and electric motor parts I will attempt to rebuild these pumps myself. So far no success on this on this front. For now, I will reach out to Matt Sweetings: http://www.powerbrakeservice.net/index.html

Thanks again for the tips!

8. Timo04

Timo04 Karting

Jul 2, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Happy New Year!

In answer to my own question, so far I found these two services based in the UK:

http://www.bba-reman.com/us/index.aspx <<< has a USA location, Global HQ is located in the UK.

https://www.autotronics.co.uk

I have inquired both to both services to see if they will repair or rebuild the Tevis Mk II ABS motor/pumps.

9. dlb1988

dlb1988 Rookie

Oct 16, 2017
    Jackson Ms.
    Full Name:
    Dedric Bingham
    What place?

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Does anyone know what other cars use this pump and accumulator? I bet an xref to another car would be cheaper and can probably get a whole new unit for 1/2 price maybe less than fixing the Ferrari #70000530 unit.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ford super coupe Thunderbird from the 90's. However, good luck finding parts for those either. Although I have not tried that route in a while, maybe things have changed.

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Must add, it was also used in Jaguar, and Lincoln models.

carnutdallas likes this.
  13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  14. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    And Alfa Romeo Milano/75.

15. khcompt

khcompt Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2013
    Halifax, Canada
    Full Name:
    Ken Compton
    Gents:
    A related question to the ABS pump rebuild / replacement
    I own a 1999 355 F1 Spider. Included in my LONG CANADIAN WINTER maintenance program I changed the brake fluid. Initially I had a lot of travel in the brake peddle and a lot of fade. I bled the system several times according to recommended procedures and the fade is gone, but there is still a lot of travel on the peddle.

The brake system bleeding procedure I used was to bleed the system starting with the caliper the furtherest from the master cylinder (rear passenger side - rear driver's side - front passenger side - finally the front driver's side, keeping the reservoir full at all times, and running the engine while bleeding the rear calipers.

Late last summer the ABS light came on intermittingly, but before putting the car away for the winter the light went out.
    Since changing the brake fluid the ABS light has remained on. I have tried shifting from normal to sport mode several time but the ABS light remains on.
    There are no leaks in the system, and I used DOT 4 fluid.

My question - might the long travel on the brake peddle be due to a fault in the ABS system?
    - if yes what is the recommended trouble shooting procedure to determine a fault in the ABS system.

Thanks.

Ken