Some Corvette owners' wet dream of a Ferrari killer under $100K | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Some Corvette owners' wet dream of a Ferrari killer under $100K

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Dilusha, Sep 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Apollo mission Astronauts drove Corvettes. I think they are infinitely cooler than some badge snob puttering around the country club.

2. Thehawaiiangecko

Nov 22, 2017
    Wow, me shallow, perhaps. Poser? Think not. Troll? Not even sure what that's supposed to mean.
    You guys are such softed skinned you can't stand an opposite view point of your beloved car. You like it, great for you and your buddies. I don't. And I gave you the reasons I don't. I'm not asking you to agree. If we all liked the same thing the world would be a pretty boring one. I will leave your talk so I won't upset you more.

Sent from my SM-J727T using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Midnight Oil likes this.
  3. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^^
    First, the expression is THIN skinned. You are welcome to YOUR opinion. But, when you come up with "punk", "comb over" etc, you're not talking about the CAR, you're talking about the OWNERS, and that's the problem.

4. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

The ironic part is the car he drives is the one which Ferrari made for the american market.

5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You just got me musing about my hours standing at Smithsonian Air & Space looking at Apollo stuff, and watching Apollo13 movie something like 5X...jeez damn those guys were some truly heroic badass sons 'a *******!
    I think if I had the good fortune to meet one of those pioneering astronauts I'd act like a googly-eyed teenage girl.
    Mad respect.

anunakki, ForzaV12, jm2 and 1 other person like this.
  6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Well they were given vettes by the dealers, started witht he mercury guys. There were far less other fast car options then. The vtte was American which was important, and they drove mostly C2 vettes, which was an era when a vette was arguably as good as european stuff.
    Bill Mitcchell had a BB which he toured in, he designed those classic evttes, but he had excellent taste in ferraris.

Boomhauer likes this.
  7. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    This is so laughable. How many people have driven C7Z's. I just spent 150 miles driving one today, the car is STUPID fast, sounds amazing with the top off, and outlaps the 458 at nearly every track. I've driven a couple modern Ferrari's and don't understand the "character" of them at all. The C7Z is a superior car in every measurable aspect.

Trent J likes this.
  8. Trent J

Trent J Rookie

Aug 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    TRENT JUNKER
    So, some info first, as I'm a very new member here.

I'm 43, live in OR, much more broke then probably 90+% of all of you. Never owned a Ferrari yet. Never tracked a car, only had a motorcycle on a track.

I used to own a 1994 C4 and a 2001 C5. At this moment, I own a 2006 C6, a 2009 C6 and a 2015 C7 Z06. I love most all cars in general, and basically just things with engines. I ride motorcycles (cruisers and sportbikes), and have had some of the fastest ever, and quads.

I love Corvettes, but that doesn't mean I can't want a Ferrari and a Lamborghini also. The day I about my C7Z, I also looked at a 2004 Ferrari 360. It was just a few thousand more, and though I'm hunting the goal of Ferrari ownership, I still chose the Z. The whole package for the price was better for me, and wouldn't have the same spendy maintenance bills. My goal is to break into the Ferrari life with a 458, but a 430 would sure be an easier task. We will see.

People everywhere chase status and numbers. There are a ton of highly modified cars with extreme #'s. No one will ever win. The real goal, to me, is to just enjoy your choice. Very few of us will ever use any super car anywhere near its potential. Its the same with motorcycles. Love what you love and know that no matter what your ego thinks, there is and always will be "better" out there. We can argue stats all day, and confine/tweak the rules so our choice can win, but does it really matter? Let's all find more money and buy one of each :)

Hoping to join you all in Ferrari ownership soon (yes, even if I have to trade in my Z). Thanks for allowing me in this group.

Fiat2Ferrari, Tenney, Eric R and 5 others like this.
  9. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Trent, you sound like most of us! And welcome to the group.

Fiat2Ferrari and Trent J like this.
  10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Good choice! You never want to stretch into a Ferrari because one repair will bleed you and sour the experience. In racing, the purchase of the car is the cheapest part! In Ferrari ownership the cost is somewhere inbetween a normal car and a racecar. I say this from the perspective of I race a C5Z06. It is such a great car that over a decade later it is still competitive! I have owned 6 ferraris and still have one.

I hope GM's woes won't further delay the already delayed C8. It will be a giant killer.

Eric R and Carnut like this.
  11. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I tell anyone that will listen that I had more fun driving the C5Z06 on track and around town than any car I have owned. The ZR1 was an animal on track but got more enjoyment with the C5Z. Around town the ZR1 was a PIA with all the ground effects. There is a reason they call them splitters and it ain't because they cut through the air. Every speed bump, entrances into parking garages or gas stations, debris on the road. Really takes away from just driving the car.

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Eric,

Same goes on the track. I race the C5Z in a stock class. Other friends moved to a wings and splitter class. Yes their lap times are lower in the new class but now they keep plywood splitter cutouts in their trailers because the spliters get ripped off during off track excursions. They used to be carbon spliters but at over 500 bucks a splitter they got wise fast! I just drive my stockish C5Z in the dirt like it is an SUV! My racecar leaves for the EastCoast for the entire year and my only spares are brake pads and a set of rotors. The C5Z is the best racecar ever. It only needs gas and oil.

Eric R likes this.
  13. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I envy you! The C5Z is what I went to driving school with and got to learn how to drive using that car on Pacific Raceways which is an unforgiving track. Being so, I really paid attention to what the car was telling me. I got to know almost everything about it, how it would react and when while at the same time learning every little bump in the track. When I got the ZR1 it did everything great but did not have the feedback that I could get from the C5Z. Plus there were a couple of times I got over confident with it and damn nearn wadded it up. I attribute that to not getting the feedback that I needed and being isolated because of technology built in. No doubt great car but I sold it for a reason.

14. fga4

fga4 Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry Cellilo
    There are things about the Corvette that make it better than a Ferrari and things about a Ferrari that make it better than a Corvette. Several of us are blessed to be able to make those comparisons. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

15. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    I own a few Ferraris and have another on order. I daily drive a 911 Turbo S (and have had four 911s before that). But I'm also looking at getting a ZR1. Why? Because it's an awesome car and I love cars. If you're too much of a car snob to allow yourself to own and drive one of these great cars, then it sucks for you and only you.

16. My AZFerrari

My AZFerrari Karting

Sep 16, 2018
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Sean Thompson
    I have an 09 C6 ZR1 and an 08 F430. I bought the Corvette because of how it compared to other Corvettes and what it stood for. I bought the F430 because it’s a FERRARI! Why do some people tear one make down for the benefit of the other? I love and drive both of them

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    What I find most interesting (and this can also apply to things going on around us) is how easily people will categorize a car, a person a place, based solely on information they either read, see, or hear. They do this without any personal experience of their own. My neighbor (and forum member) who probably would have never bought a Ferrari if he had not met me recently said to me, "I cant see you keeping the California T it is a girls Ferrari" ) I just turned a gave him a look, he admitted he has never driven one, but his words sounded like others (on this forum and reviewers), and if he had driven a Calf T (and pushed it), he would have realized it was not what he thought at all. Just like a Miata is not a hairdressers car,the Boxster and Cayman are real Porsche's, and not all Corvette owners wear gold chairs and their shirts unbuttoned. Nothing against you normal brained people but if there is one thing I am glad about with the way I am is I am incapable of seeing these things or caring what others think (I do listen to my girlfriend but after all this time she knows I just do what I want anyway), so whether it is politics, cars, food (what does a restaurant reviewer know about how I like my food), I never judge anything till I experience it, or know all the (real) facts. I bet things would be a lot better right now if more people did the same. Okay I'm done!

Dragster, CK7684, anunakki and 2 others like this.
  18. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
  19. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^^
    Wow. A Corvarossa. Very rare and highly sought after. And a convertible at that....

20. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Have you ever posted a personal comparison ? Would love to read it

21. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    And while at it let's hear a comparison of a Vette vs Porsche, Porsche vs Ferrari, and on and on and on. Like Sonny and Cher sang, And The Beat Goes On........

22. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Ill buy the c8. I dont know if its its better than a ferrari but i do know i want to own one.

Should make a great daily driver

23. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  24. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    You think it is bad for Corvettes and Ferraris, try being a fan of minivans!

anunakki and Carnut like this.
  25. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    An fchat banable offense ;)

Take your love for mini vans to the vett forum please,where you will fit in better j/k

As silly as this thread is, it’s quite charged with energy and very entertaining!