Omega Speedmaster | FerrariChat

Omega Speedmaster

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by ronfrohock, Dec 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Our oldest son is more watch crazy than I am......
    For the past few years, he had been completely infatuated with the idea of getting a Speedmaster. He graduated from college and purchased one about six months ago. About a month later, he noticed that one of the push pins had fallen off. He sent the watch in for repair and about six weeks later received it back.
    Now, a second push pin has fallen off.
    To say he is disappointed is an understatement!

Any thoughts on how to handle this?
    I’ve read that this is a fairly common problem.

The watch is about six months old and he has a desk job. He treats it like is is made of glass, making sure that it doesn’t get a nick or scratch. He is obsessive.

Any recommendations would be welcomed.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    If the watch is new it should be under warranty. I'm not sure how the Speedmaster chrono pushers are held in place but it's usually a screw on the inside. If that screw is loose it just needs to be retightened but that involves taking the movement out. Not as much work as it sounds like but still a bit.

3. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
  4. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Omegas have a five year warranty.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Is this a common problem? I've asked my local boutique to let me know when the 50th anniversary Apollo 11 watch is announced for next year and if I can get one. I rather not pay that much (well above a "regular" Speedy and no discount at the boutique) if this is a common thing...

I've been wearing my Tag almost daily for 17+ years and it's been 100% reliable and I am not super careful with it.

ronfrohock likes this.
  6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

My 30+ year old speedmaster still keeps perfect time, has never missed a beat and has been cleaned once, about ten years ago.

On the other hand, my two year old Bulova (which is supposed to be accurate to 1/10 of a second a year, isn't.

luck of the draw, I guess.

D

HobbsTC likes this.
  7. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I’ve been told that it is a common problem and it can be remedied if you use a small amount of super glue when you press the replacement pin back into position.
    I’m not comfortable doing this.
    We’re going to send the watch back again and have it repaired by the factory service center. I’m hoping they can fast track it for my son, in recognition for the inconvenience of the second repair needed in six months.

I should add that I have worn my Submariner daily for the past twenty plus years and I am not careful with it at all. It still looks new and runs perfectly.

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I'm not gonna say it.

ronfrohock likes this.
  9. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Sad truth for me. I had a Schumacher Speedy in about 2000 and was (stupidly) too much of a watch snob to wear it more than 3 or 4 times. I even put a matching blue croco strap with a deployant buckle on it to make it a little different than my other watches and that didn't help, so I flipped it. Been bummed about that for a while now and have been thru 7 or 8 Omegas since.

It was this one.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ronfrohock likes this.
  10. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think these are held by a c-clip on the inside. The most common ways to install a pusher are friction, threaded, or c-clip. Usually if there's a screw on the inside, it is to adjust the pusher distance to the movement.

I really doubt that.

ronfrohock likes this.
  11. Chadwick Ferrari

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chadwick
    Sell it. No point in wearing it if there is anxiety about it breaking. There are many rock solid chronos you can pick up at that price point.

ronfrohock likes this.
  12. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I agree. He really wants a Sub but it’s a bit to rich for him right now.

13. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
  14. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Looking at the Omega forum, there are posts that suggest that they are pushed in place, friction fit. Some have posted that they use a small amount of cyano with success.
    I can’t say that I’d agree but I also question whether of not a friction fit design is robust.

15. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    hmm, makes sense now.
    I thought it was just poor luck that one of the push pins came off on my 15 yr old Mars watch that I rarely wear. Just dropped it off , 6 weeks & $500+ it will be. Argh...

16. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I have that watch with a NATO strap; I've never gotten as many compliments on a watch as I have for that one. It's the dial I think. It's sitting in my safe now because I'm wearing a slightly larger IWC. My biggest complaint with it is that it's kind of hard to read the date since the watch isn't that big and the dial is quite busy.

darth550 likes this.
  17. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I was thinking of the Rolex Daytona and I believe those have a screw keeping them in.

18. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    What info did your Omega Boutique give you about the Apollo 11 50th anniversary? I am quite interested.
    Thanks.

19. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    That was my situation too. I had just gotten a R/G Portugiser Rattrapante and I couldn't take it off.

20. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    All they said was that they would notify me when it is announced. No one seems to have any other info on it. I hope they do it special like the 35th Apollo-Soyuz meteroite dial. I think the 45th ann of the Apollo 11 doesn't look good.

Edit: And Swatch will not be at Baselworld in March so nothing Omega will be there either.

21. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I'll try to find something out after new years.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  22. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Thank you to both of you. And Darth, I look forward to hearing what you may find out. The last I heard from my OB was that it may be announced at Baselworld, and as BMW..... states, looks like Omega won't be at Baselworld.

Happy New Year to all!

23. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You're absolutely correct... it's been a while since I have worked on one, and I was thinking about some of the replacement pushers. The Daytona pusher body is screwed in to the case and the pusher itself is held in by the shank which has a slotted head.
    As far as the friction fit, lots (likely millions) of chronographs have friction fit pushers, as well as friction fit tubes without failure. I think it was Rolex who invented the screw in case tube for the oyster. It's still pretty common for other manufacturers to use a friction fit.

flat_plane_eddie and ronfrohock like this.
  24. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    The news is that Omega has spent a couple of years digitally scanning and reproducing the 321 movement using Gene Cernan's 1972 model as the sample and are bringing it back for the 50th anniversary.

BMW.SauberF1Team and 375+ like this.
  25. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Excellent news. A little more info on that development: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/omega-resumes-production-caliber-321-speedmaster-movement

I really hope I can get one. I've heard there will be 3 versions. A very limited version, which my complete guess will be like the 40th anniversary with 69 platinum versions. Then a "limited" version and I'll guess 6,969 or so (40th anniversary steel was limited to 7,969). And then rumor is a third version will not be limited, but I have my doubts on that.

If they use a lunar meteorite to make the dial like whatever meteorite they used for the Apollo-Soyuz I'm going to go lose it...lol. It's already going to be hard enough to get from an OB even if all it had was a 321.