Updating the Interior on my 355 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Updating the Interior on my 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by U-Boat Commander, Dec 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Those look great. I can see that you also narrowed the shoulder of the seats. That's definitely something I'm planning as well.

2. tcbquattroporte

tcbquattroporte Karting

Jan 31, 2014
    New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I didn't narrow the shoulders of the seats or do anything to the seat frames at all. I just replaced all of the leather and had the headrest supports re-chromed. I don't believe anything else was done internally. As Dave said, the Spider seats are quite different than the GTB/GTS cars. Seat tracks are electric, backrest release is in a different location, seatbelt brackets are attached to the seats instead of the rear firewall, the configuration of the back of the seats is different. I imagine they might bolt into a GTB/GTS, but I didn't try it in my GTB to find out for sure.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    They would bolt on, but they don't slide as there are no power and control signals in a Berlinetta. They have manual lighter seats.

4. U-Boat Commander

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Spoke to Rafi, the leathers I selected are Connolly Vaumol 8500 Black and Connolly Vaumol 3171 Red. These are the Ferrari black and red from the period, and the red just happens to go very well with Rosso Barchetta. I realize that Autolux was used on the 355. I understand that was a thinner, cheaper leather supplied by Connolly. So the leather I'll be using is somewhat of an upgrade.

5. U-Boat Commander

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    I see that now. Had no idea that the seats on the spider were so different.

6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm Pretty certain that is the samples I received. I will check when I'm at my shop. If it is, I'm not a fan.

PS - thicker is not better. It's more stiff then. I have all original leather in my 98 GTS and the quality is sensational. It's far from "cheaper"

MAD828 and INTMD8 like this.
  7. tcbquattroporte

tcbquattroporte Karting

Jan 31, 2014
    New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yeah, these seats are really heavy, much more so than the Berlinetta seats.

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #33 Dave rocks, Dec 24, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    So I stopped at the shop for a couple minutes....Yes, the samples I have from Connolly Brothers are Autolux. I have both beige 4208 and nero 8500. The beige does not seem too bad but the first noticeable feature is the little dots (hair holes). My 98 GTS does not appear to have them, at least not so obvious. Neither sample seems very supple but in all fairness, that could be different when stretched. I really need to take these home and do a side-by-side comparison to my original leather.

I happen to have samples from what CoachTrim used here also and just measured them:

The CoachTrim samples are .050" thick and the Connelly Brothers are .035" I'll see if I can find a location on my original to measure.

9. U-Boat Commander

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Some background I found on Vaumol vs Autolux.

"AutoLux Background
    In early times there were three leather manufacturers that supplied Ferrari Motorcars: ARBO Tan, Connolly and Franzi. Arbo Tan Leather was used in some of the 50’s Ferrari’s but stopped supplying Ferrari after a few years. Connolly however maintained its role and succeeded in becoming the reference supplier to the car industry as well as Jaguar, Bentley, Rolls Royce & Aston Martin.

The early Connolly Vaumol and Franzi leather had a thickness of approximately 1.3 - 1.4 mm and felt a bit harder than the leather used in modern cars. The leather used by Ferrari was made in the Luxan grain, the crushed grain and the classic grade with its darker pores. Later on, the leather factory started to make Autolux Leather. To save money this leather was made a little thinner than Vaumol but it was VAT dyed. Fullgrain hides were used to make Vaumol and Autolux Leather."

http://www.concoursinteriors.net/materials.html

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    So this morning I did a comparison of the Connolly Brothers leather samples to my 95 in which I have many original pieces apart in my house.

While I understand dye lots do vary, the beige is a tad lighter in shade. Also, as stated prior, the hair holes are very pronounced. They can be seen in the original but it really takes looking hard for them. The sample has no texture at all aside from the holes so that makes me think I'm seeing holes created by the process and not the actual hair holes.

The texture of the nero is totally different so I find that strange.

I realize no two hides will ever be exact. In fact, it's clear Ferrari selected better grades for more critical areas as those are much smoother than the leather used on the pillars for example.

My home caliper battery is dead so I could not measure but I did a comparison and the original beige appears to be the same or perhaps .005" thinner than the sample from Connolly Brothers.

INTMD8 likes this.
  11. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    What about a black seat with the tan inserts and tan trim on the door panels? Looks good and enjoy it either way. Too bad the 355 didn’t have the Daytona option originally.

12. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    That is fantastic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Is there a company that sells new leather complete seat cover sets for a 355 ?
    My seat bolster is well worn and needs replacing. Both seats need to be recovered.
    There used to be a company that sold the complete covers. I think they were close to $2 K for the set.
    These would be for a spider.

14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    worlduph
    gahh
    re-originals
    tons of places on ebay too