488 vs. Huracan 580-2 vs. McLaren 570S | Page 7 | FerrariChat

488 vs. Huracan 580-2 vs. McLaren 570S

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ggonzaga, Dec 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #151 Albert-LP, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    I don't like the 488 GTB rear view. I consider the 488 GTB side air intake not well designed. The car is very good looking except those two details. The Pista fixes both: The rear is great looking and the side air intake is much better looking. Mc Laren design in my opinion is a disaster on the Senna and also the 720 has something strange. 488 standard is a great looking car if compared to those two. As said this are just personal opinion: I like very much Portofino and Pista.

ciao

PS
    when I write "not good looking" means "it could be better". As there aren't (in my opinion) bad looking Ferrari or Mc Laren. Even the Senna and Lusso, the two I like less.

Boomhauer likes this.
  2. sfcorsa1

sfcorsa1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2017
    Full Name:
    AVN
    488 is a beautiful car and I wouldn’t mind owning one but there is the looming question of whether it’ll be as fun as my 458 (coupe and spiders was).

As far as Mclaren goes I have a 675LT and it’s completely different from Ferrari. Each brand has its own special feel and sense of occasion. The Ferrari is classy (and classic) and will always give you that feeling that you’ve achieved something. There is no other feeling in the world like it. The Mclaren is an exotic surgical weapon. My LT does things that I would normally classify as defying the laws of physics. Driving position is phenomenal and the power delivery is unbelievable.

If you’re curious about Mclaren, you gotta try it out. It will be worth your while and you can always go to Lamborghini or back to Ferrari. My thing has always been not to be so blinded by other people’s opinions. If you’re curious, you should own one and see how you enjoy it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    View attachment 2645817
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #153 Lukeylikey, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    A friend and I swapped 488 Spider and LT Spider over a mountain this summer. The differences were very interesting. The LT was really about that amazing front end with masses of grip, great turn in and lovely feel through the wheel. Unfortunately there were a couple of drawbacks that meant the Ferrari was still my preferred steer. The Ferrari felt softer and less ‘hewn from one piece’ than the McLaren and although my friend has been let down on numerous occasions with the LT, it felt solid.

Neither of us held back in each other’s car and we both got a good understanding of the other’s car. We are also both Speciale owners. The LT drawbacks were firstly that you can’t select normal suspension mode and track/sport plus transmission and throttle mode. The hard suspension setting was just too stiff for the mountain road meaning I had to settle for a more laboured setting for the throttle and gearbox which probably exacerbated the other issue on the car compared with the 488, the engine. It is just not as nice as the 488’s motor. It has power but it also has very noticeable lag. Viewed in isolation it’s fine but driven back to back it is the main differentiator to the Ferrari.

There was one other thing, the Ferrari has that ‘Ferrari feel’. One of the things I love about Ferraris, even cars like the Speciale, is that they have a sort of ‘deft’ feel. They feel light and delicate in their responses and something about how the suspension works is very appealing to me (light feeling applies to the mid cars). The McLaren does indeed feel like a very purposeful and focused tool, very different but not necessarily bad just preferred less by me. In the end two amazing cars, both trade blows but I found there are a couple of fundamental points that diminished my enjoyment of the LT. I didn’t ask him but I think my friend probably preferred his LT although he has also ordered a Pista which arrives soon.

sampelligrino and Napoli like this.
  4. Trent J

Trent J Rookie

Aug 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    TRENT JUNKER
    Reading through all of the posts in this thread has been great and very informative.

So, I'd like to pose a similar but different question. I'm planning towards my first super car. Currently in a 2015 Z06. Have never driven any of them, and I know in the end, all that matters is what I like, but I would love to hear some comparisons from all of you, whom are so much more knowledgeable than I.

458, Gallardo or 570s? Those all seem to be more in the similar price range that I'm shooting for.

Forgive my ignorance.

5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Trent- where do you live? Best thing is to find a local independent dealer that has all 3 and drive them.

For me- Gallardo is out. Too old of a model.

570- cheaper than 458. Lots of turbo lag in the lower rpms, much better as you rev it up. Faster tha. 458 but is the Mclaren “entry level” car. Depending on the year can find one under warranty most likely.

458- naturally aspirated- lots of sound and soul. Not as fast but is often described as one of the best Ferrari’s made. Likely out of warranty but they have been bullet proof from what people say.

But at the end of the day- go drive them. No amount of internet blabber can replace the experience of actually getting behind the wheel of one.

Eric Kurtev, Lukeylikey and Trent J like this.
  6. Trent J

Trent J Rookie

Aug 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    TRENT JUNKER
    I'm in Portland, OR. We have a Ferrari dealership here in town, and I believe a Lamborghini one a few hours north in Seattle, WA area. I've been watching fora while, and it seems I will likely have to go out of state to buy. Would prefer a certified preowned from a dealership. Local one had a 2011 458 with 20k miles that sold for $155k a few weeks ago.

7. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’m in’scottsdale. We have a independent dealership here www.luxuryautocollection.com. Likely similar ones in your neck of the woods. They carry everything. And I bought my ferrrari from there after test driving everything - 650, 488, huracan, Aventador etc etc.

Take only what you can from reading as often people here are passionate but sometimes not applicable to your circumstances.

At the end of the day- but what feels good to you behind the wheel- not what some magazine review or internet poster says. Good luck with the hunt!

Trent J and Albert-LP like this.
  8. I will co-sign everything @SoCal to az said and add that you might also consider exotic car rental places for a test drive if you can’t find a dealer or the dealer won’t let you test drive.

Good luck with your choice.

Trent J and SoCal to az like this.
  9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    There are many car manufactures as everyone has his own taste. I want to tell you a story: It's not about actual supercars, it's about vintage (or just old) sport cars, but it's the same point.

After 30+ years of dreaming I got a Lamborghini Countach (a 5000 S) and I had it properly restored also in the details. The car was not so good as I imagined for 30 years and I learned (by owning it) that wasn't suited to me: very demandind driving, fragile, with very low reliability, bad handling and so on. A great car, but not for me: I liked it a lot, but just when it was in the garage. As the car was not so much reliable and very delicate (and very expensive to fix), I got also another car to attend the classic car meeting I like a lot. My idea was: I will keep the gorgeous and important Countach at home, will drive her lowest mileage possibile and I will do the classic car meetings with another car, the most reliable I can find. After some search I realized that one of the most reliable classic sport car was the 911 SC and 911 3.2 Carrera. I didn't like that car: it was so ugly, not Italian, not with mid engine. I had never considered to buy such a car. But I told myself: It's disgusting, but it's a vintage sport car too, easy to resell and very reliable, so I will close my nose and will buy that scrap just to save the Countach. So I got a 911 3.2 Targa from 1987. It costed me 34 k euro (2012), versus the Countach cost of 190 k (purchasing and full restore).

And just then I realized that the 911 3.2 is (for my judging criteria) the best sport car ever made.

So: there is not a best car, but there is one that is the best for you.

Go for that: the only difficult thing is Learning which it is!

ciao

10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You can go try all 3 but I’ll bet dollars to donuts that you will prefer the 458.
    The 458 is an epic Ferrari in every sense, and an absolutely superb first exotic car to own.

Eric Kurtev and Trent J like this.
  11. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wouldn't get a Gallardo. Too old, outdated. Might as well get a 2nd gen R8. They're really cheap and essentially the same as the Huracan.

NSXLuvr and Trent J like this.
  12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Glad you kept the Countach!
    Interesting, I feel the same about most 911’s....did you consider a classic Ferrari?

Sent from my 16M

13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    After having a dozen 911s from 993 C2S, Turbo, to 997 Turbo, Turbo S Cab, Gt3, boredom from the appearance and the entire driving experience eventually terminated my desire to ever own another one.

Super car ownership must go beyond driving a car that is capable, highly competent and reliable. Excitement, adrenaline inducement and awe while driving should be the sensation generated. The simple gazing at the car should create goosebumps . There should be a sense of occasion and wonder when sitting in the driver seat. If the above does not describe your super car ownership experience, you own the wrong car.

14. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    at the end it finally found a balance: Sold the Countach, sold the Porsche and got some Ferrari 3X8 series. Cars that mix emotions, beauty, drivability and reliability. They are the good ones for me: everyone has his own

ciao

Gh21631 likes this.
  15. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g

16. 06viper

06viper Rookie

Mar 31, 2019
    NM-AZ
    I currently have a 2018 570s with the "track pack" (bucket seats, light wheels, louder exhaust, carbon bits inside and out). before purchasing the 570, I drove a new huracan lp-610 for a while but ultimately decided to go with the 570 for a couple reasons. The huracan felt cheap on the inside, lots of plastic. I had a Gallardo previously and felt that the Huracan was a step down in terms of looks. It was 4 wheels drive and didn't give that fun factor a 2 wheel drive car can (Lp-580 probably takes care of that though). Everyone has one, for every 10 huracans you see, you see 1 Mclaren in my opinion. Also, the 570 felt like a "race car" while the huracan felt like a "fast road car" if that makes sense. Just my opinion though!

17. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    While I agree to an extent there are lots of plastic trim around my 580-2's center console, my shiny, gloss black trim looks a lot better than the cheaper, grayish trim on the base model. I have the Unicolor Sportivo alcantara interior with deviating stitching and it looks nice with the Branding Package. I thought my 458 Spider's interior looked way cheaper and less modern. I like the virtual cockpit on the Huracan, it frees up the clutter on the center console. The 580-2 is more spry and lively than the 610-4 I owned previously. It makes for an excellent daily driver, very modern and comfortable. Rear visibility through the Transparent engine bonnet somewhat compromised over the lower third of the field but better than my winged GT3.

I've never driven a Mac but I don't think you can really go wrong either way.

18. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    I had huracan 610-4 coupe, mclaren 650s spider and now 488 spider.

If you want attention - huracan. mclaren ranks second and the 488 gets the least amount of looks.

Performance - I rank them about the same, mclaren feels structurally more rigid than the 488. But had turbo car characteristics, turbo lag and explosive acceleration. 488 and huracan both are very linear in power delivery. Huracan steering felt artificial, 488 feels more natural, but mclaren has the most road feel.

Reliability - 488 and huracan both were bullet proof. I never had one error message from the huracan. Mclaren had tons of issues, big and small.

Feel/emotion - 488 feels the least “ exotic” but it’s fun to drive. huracan was a bit boring to drive but the look and sound makes up for it.
    Mclaren feels exotic because of the doors but i can’t say it’s fun to drive.

Overall 488 is my favorite out of all 3 cars, it’s fun to drive, reliable, practical and I hate to say it, it’s a ferrari.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwissChris and sampelligrino like this.