50 years of Ferrari Dino celebrations 30th of June 2018 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

50 years of Ferrari Dino celebrations 30th of June 2018

Discussion in '206/246' started by GermanDino, Nov 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maxlouis

maxlouis Rookie

Oct 27, 2011
    I would like to add my congratulations to Matthias; an amazing thing to pull off and a great day - thank you and well done!

This time last week I was blasting along the autobahn at naughty speeds, having left Lake Garda via Innsbruck to drop my co-driver at the airport. I had intended to do the trip in a 246 but the gremlins necessitated a GT4. What transpired though was no disappointment and the trip made me appreciate what a truly impressive car the GT4 is. 2,384 miles in 4 days was effortless and apart from swapping a sticky cooling fan relay, I had no problems whatsoever and she performed faultlessly. Between 6pm on Sunday night and 7am Monday morning I did almost 900 miles and that included 3 fuel/coffee stops and a 30 minute snooze. A 246 is more beautiful and a Fiat Dino Spider 2400 is more exciting (a Stratos is more bonkers) but the GT4 is a really mature and very capable motor car that just eats miles in the most refined and relaxed manner. The aircon works (well, sort of) and whereas a modern Range Rover would have left me aching - those GT4 seats really are properly good. All in all, a very memorable and enjoyable dash that included a detour via those fabulous Dolomiti passes and howling through the tunnels.

And, whilst washing off the travel grime this evening, I glimpsed elements of Stratos, Maserati Boomerang and Countach. Proper 70's 'prototipo' and bloody marvellous! I realise now how fortunate I am to own one of the truly great Grand Tourers.

But don't take my word for it - find a good one and wring its neck. I guarantee it's life affirming - and all for the price of a dull Audi...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

synchro and francisn like this.
  2. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    synchro, 4re308, red tommy and 4 others like this.
  3. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    The oddball serial number and characteristic purple color of this very early 206 portended some significance in DINO history when our family owned it many years ago. I wonder where it is now? I scanned the videos and pictures in this thread and did not see it. Hidden away in a Japanese collection somewhere I suspect.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    correct… somewhere in Japan....

5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    S/N 10523?

6. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    yes, 206 GT prototype....

7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Mark,

Perhaps it is time to consider purchasing the Dino Compendium.
    Every time you've been over to my house and viewed it, I see that you've enjoyed my Dino Compendium. Danny mentioned you're over to look at his Dino Compendium for your restoration of 03656. If you like it and you're using it then why not pick up a copy?
    Sure, it costs a bit more than other books, but the research is worth it and why skimp on research when you're in a $50k+ restoration?

The Dino Compendium was the launching pad for an amazing amount of passion I saw in Maranello. A full moon weekend.
    Thank you Matthias for such a monumental gathering.

Attached Files:

9. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Uhh, thanks for the advice, and that's VERY OLD NEWS from Danny. I have had a copy for several years and in fact, I bought several, and gave them away as gifts, and my mistake was in not reading the introduction carefully enough.

10. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    We just completed our trip, fantastic time in Italy and we stayed with and saw many Dino friends around Europe/UK.
    3800km traveled in 3 weeks, our Dino is being cleaned and detailed in the UK ahead of the next 2 events in the coming months.
    Check out @autobunka on instagram for photos and videos.

Here is Shawn with us in Ferraris cafeteria having lunch with Matthias, definitely once in a lifetime experience!

synchro likes this.
  11. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
  12. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred

Congratulations, Matthias, on an accomplishment that will most likely never be duplicated anywhere! Fred

13. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
  14. DinoParts, Stefan

Sponsor

Mar 1, 2015
    Eschwege, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan Kratzer
    jamesdouglas1436 likes this.
  15. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
  16. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  17. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
  18. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #143 synchro, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Andrew,
    Great to bump into you with such fun chat and laughs!
    Please email me and consider coming to the FCA International Meet in Arizona, Nov 6-10, 2019. You're a real driver, so I'd like to see if you (or any Dino drivers, all invited) might have time for events immediately afterwards, perhaps a rally to Sedona and The Grand Canyon. Truly panoramic scenery, but let us show the Dino guys our backroads spanning the Sonoran desert, through the hillside mining towns, then scaling the Mogollon Rim past Sedona and on to the Colorado Plateau with the Grand Canyon .

Matthias is not running an International trip for 2019 (I think the 2018 event killed him !) so this Arizona event is not competing with his schedule.
    For those hesitant about paint chips, I have access to 8mil thick Xpel TrackWrap for the best protection and we can expect no rain in Arizona :)
    Here is short video for a glimpse of the colors.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2623533

Attached Files:

19. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Attached Files:

20. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

What a fun chat with you at the Museo Dino, absolutely fabulous event.

Matthias event was epic and just the right push for additional driving afterwards. While most went North, like you, we went South to the seaside and escaped the heat. A friend was taking receipt of his new 991.2 GT3 in Bari.

Attached Files:

21. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Merry Chistmas, Buon Natale
    5 + mins of Dinos leaving Fiorano!

22. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman

23. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Great video, but sad you missed mine. I was in the first 10 or so.

24. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have much more I did not post
    Can you help me clearly identify you - perhaps is your front plate VB 974 HX ?

25. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Mine is UK registration HNR 746V. It's Blu Dino Metallica