Ferraris on Fire | FerrariChat

Ferraris on Fire

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by spiderscott, Dec 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa

Years ago my old Ferrari 355 (video thumbnail picture) caught on fire and burnt to the ground. Having had a similar experience on another Ferrari last year, I did some research on Ferrari fires and this compilation is just some of what I found on pretty much every model !

Lesson learnt, since then I ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher in all my Supercars.

2. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    OUCH, Not a fun thread to post stuff.

3. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    This is true, but take it as a warning I have learned the hard way ......ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher in your Ferrari.

4. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I disagree. A fire suppression system to allow you time to unhook your belts, cool suit and radio and crawl out before the track Marshall’s get there... sure.

In a street car, keep the relevant systems maintained in order to prevent a fire. But if one does start, the damage will be massive no matter how fast you think you can put it out, will cost an arm and a leg to repair if it’s even repairable, and you will probably never get it back to normal if you try.

So if a fire does start, get out, be safe, and let it go. That’s what insurance is for.

5. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    #5 spiderscott, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    No totally disagree, it completely depends on circumstances. The rear end of my 308 went up in flames due to HT lead coming off coil pack and sending unburnt fuel into exhaust that then caught alight.

Because the fire was quickly extinguished, the only damage was rear rubber bumper lower valance, plastic light lens and some rear panel paintwork. The cost of repair was minimal and infact gave me the kick to do a 308 Euro conversion.

Without the extinguisher, that low mileage very nice 308 would without doubt be a pile of ash.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

bellwilliam and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  6. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    After my old fox body mustang burned down late at night on a highway, I always keep at least 1 extinguisher in my car.

In my case, I had to agonizingly watch my car smoulder pop and burn sitting beside a cop who didn’t want to risk an explosion (which never occurred), until FD (the real heroes) showed up.
    It was only 1/4 burned but smoke damage to the interior of course wrote it off.

Paul walker is another reason I always keep an exitinguisher within reach.

spiderscott likes this.
  7. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Treat it like an Airplane. Preflight inspection every trip and don’t skimp or defer maintenance. Every 308 I’ve owned had fuel/ vapor lines replaced before it was driven a mile.

8. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    There is just something so ‘tifosi’ about the first photo....... three models in one shot, rolled up and parked in front of your house.... such a cool photo... love it. Glad to hear your 308 was restored to good health after her hot flush

spiderscott likes this.
  9. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    A couple observations...lots of newer models that couldn’t have been more than a couple years old at the time of the fires. Deferred maintenance shouldn’t have been an issue. What were the causes?

I’m no fire fighter (my father was) but it seemed to me that in many of these cases the fire trucks were parked WAY too close to the burning cars.

F40 crash gets a pass from me. Racing crash fires are pretty common.

spiderscott likes this.
  10. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Interesting video compilation, but I am critical about such YT-stuff.
    It gives the impression to the folks, that especially Ferraris are prone to catching fire. The stupid comments on some of the single videos of your compilation and on others showing exotics on fire confirms this.
    We have around 15.000 car fires yearly alone here in Germany. Noone cares, except it's a Ferrari, Lamborghini or another exotic. Then the local newpapers mention the car maker. If it's a mundane daily driver, they report about a 'burning car', if at all.

That the number of car fires increased during the last decades is logical. Given the technology of modern high pressure fuel systems, thick electrical harnesses, catalysts... and cramped engine compartments.
    The more stuff exists, the more things can go wrong.
    Together with sometimes crazy maintenance costs for the normal people, it got a fateful mixture.

Two weeks ago the small city car of a 'poor' nurse here burned to the ground. Car was five years old and hasn't seen a workshop from the inside during the past four years. She told, the car was running great till that day.

Best from Germany
    Martin

11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ferrari did have a recall in the last few years related to fire hazard (some sort of problem with a panel adhesive).

So has Kia, Nissan, Hyundai, BMW, Ford, and GM. No one films a Kia on fire...because, well - Kia, Who cares. Videos like this simply create & reinforce a stigma which isn't really an accurate picture.

I think the average Ferrari is far more at risk from "bad overconfident driver" than fire.

12. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Brand new 911 burned to ground on test drive! all makes burn!

daytona355 and Martin308GTB like this.
  13. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Latest news from a neighbourhood town over here: this afternoon a LPG car exploded while filling up. Three cars filling up nearby were seriously damaged too. Owner of the LPG-car seriously hurt. Necessary helicopter flight to a specialized hospital.
    Newspaper didn't mention the car make.

Best from Germany
    Martin

14. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Alternate fueled vehicles, Including EV plug ins! Could these turn out to be more dangerous than fueling gasoline cars?

spiderscott and daytona355 like this.
  15. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
  16. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    The red nozzels r two in passenger compartment and two in engine bay

daytona355 likes this.
  17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Don't forget the MEL (minimum equipment list) thousands of aircraft dispatched every day with things 'outstanding':eek:

18. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Please don’t tell me that! I have to spend ten hours on a bloody plane several times a year to Vegas, I’ll have to tranquillise myself!

19. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I’m a pilot and this is news to me.

daytona355 likes this.
  20. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Thank god for that! I was getting nervous

308 milano likes this.
  21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #22 Ferrari 308 GTB, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    Dunno what you are flying but in most parts of the world it is well documented and used 'a lot' mainly in Airline operations.

A laymans guide to the MEL https://thinkaviation.net/minimum-equipment-list/

You would be surprised what you are allowed to fly without until it's fixed e.g Autopilot ,omg got to actually hand fly the beast!

22. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I guess it depends on what model you own but I'm letting my car burn....collect the insurance and buy another....

daytona355 likes this.
  23. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Awww, don’t do it... I used to like to fly, now I’m wondering if I need to change my mind..... are we talking Virgin Atlantic having such lax procedures or just cheaper airlines?

24. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #25 308 milano, Dec 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    These commercial aircraft have triple redundancy built into the flight control systems. ( meaning main control flight system and two back up systems ) Wouldn’t give it a second thought.

daytona355 likes this.