Hoovie's 355 Exploded? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Hoovie's 355 Exploded?

Discussion in '348/355' started by jkfuel, Aug 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thanks Hoovie. Tarvish will rue the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOKE likes this.
  2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    As far as an fcar, sounds like they will frankenstein it with an ls engine, seems to be his favorite.
    Would be impressive for performance though.
    Not my cup of tea but still interesting

3. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I think they do an interesting and creative job on the videos. That said.....I couldn't tell if they knew about the problem/recall before the car was shipped out to the West coast. There is a part of the video where the question was asked of the Wizard: "You looked at it and there weren't any issues...right"? The Wizard nods in agreement.

The crazy part is if they did want it fixed....shipping it to the West Coast a few days early would have solved the issue by dropping it off at a Ferrari dealership. The part about the nearest Ferrari dealership being 6 hours away in Kansas isn't an excuse if you know you had a time bomb ticking in the engine bay. So it really comes down to whether they knew about the recall before it went up in smoke. I'm with Dave.....this thing is toast.

Just my thoughts. I also felt bad about the Porsche. A spun bearing just doesn't "happen".

4. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I recently discovered Hoovie's Garage on YouTube and quite enjoy not only his style but his eclectic tastes in cars. I was really thrilled that he picked up a 355 knowing that it would get a fair amount of airtime on his channel. I was actually pi**ed off when I saw the 'Vehicle Virgins' guy got a hold of it and had that feeling in the pit of my stomach about what might happen to the car. I don't necessarily blame him (Parker) for what happened, but have my theories about how the car was driven when the cameras weren't rolling.

I agree that the 355, as it sits right now, is done for. There's not much left to salvage, all of the bits that make the 355 so special burned up. As they discussed on the video, it would need a new engine and a standalone ECU to run it. As they've proven with the Porsche, they don't have the best of luck with swaps - although the failure appeared to be s**t luck and not related to their work. Perhaps a differently baffled oil pan would have made a difference? Although I am not sure oil starvation is the cause of the failure, as it was just one bearing and not all of them.

5. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    my question is.. how does the insurance company pay out the claim, when there was a known fire hazard recall that was not done..?
    on top of publically depicting it on youtube..? to me it would be grounds to decline the claim..?

also as discussed previously, there are likely still many 355's out there that haven't done the recall.. and either by luck or addressing it the stock orientation of the fuel lines are not rubbing the clamp.. and these cars are running without issue. meaning this particular 355 was running fine all along..

therefore I can only conclude, that while the mechanic was in there fixing the coolant hoses, something was moved around putting the fuel lines/clamp in a dangerous orientation.
    and then there it is the car burns.. shortly after..

and they were saying, we were going to do it when taking the engine out.. but you don't need the engine out. the kit is available to buy and just do it..

6. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The wizard strikes me as your basic Jiffy Lube clock puncher. And the Vehicle Virgin kid makes my hands turn into fists. Annoying as ****e. Blocked his channel on YT.

97 Spider likes this.
  7. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    So what should your mechanic look like?

I'd gander If you all saw me you would judge me like a MF.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I agree. It's a loss and I love black spiders. No way it gets back to what it was originally.

The ONLY thing I can see Tavarish doing is taking it and doing an engine swap, stripping the interior, and putting in a roll cage rather than rebuilding the roof mechanism. It would look like the S2000 and Cayman featured on Hoonigan's channel like this:

9. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    I think, I think that was a joke.

10. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I was not referring to his appearance but rather his competence.

Dave rocks likes this.
  11. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

you have no idea what caused this fire so how can you say its his fault without a doubt?

No just assuming.

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  13. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Tavarish says he wants to make a Berlinetta top for it. He didn’t seem to know about the people who have been down this road.

14. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Looks like a canadian rabbit got the best of that

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If you are referring to the GTB, the rabbit must have been on vacation. That car is in Hawaii. :)

16. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Well Rabbits need time of too you know

Probably should have made that left at Albuquerque

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Apparently he hasn't even physically seen the car yet and it's en route to his warehouse lol. Maybe he will reconsider what he does with it when he sees how bad the damage is in person...I think taking out the entire roof mechanism and putting in a cage with an open top is the easiest route...

youtu.be/l3hEDI06y_w?t=889

18. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Well, apparently there was once a shell of car available for cheap, but it's been crushed and buried out of spite.

19. boxcarracer

boxcarracer Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Luigi
  20. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Well, his ideas for the build seem a bit childish to me, but he's possibly the only person in the world who would attempt to rebuild this car, so good luck to him, I guess.

21. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm a fan on the rebuild into something new and different. Better than messing up a nice survivor. Also it'll financially net him a lot more in making the content for the channel than the build will cost him..

22. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    economic engine swap, race seats roll cage .... singer ish. Track car.

23. boxcarracer

boxcarracer Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Luigi
  24. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I doubt that is true in any way, F40 had 4 valves per cylinder like the F119 and the 355 had 5 valves. That's completely different engine.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  25. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I wouldn’t put too much stock in what some YouTube video hoe says about a Ferrari that, I believe, is the first he’s owned. He knows 99.99999% of his audience is never going to fact check him and whatever he rambles about will be taken as gospel by most.

boxcarracer and Dave rocks like this.