Amex Rant | FerrariChat

Amex Rant

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Innovativethinker, Dec 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    /rant on

I have an Amex Plat. My avg spend is about $15k a month. I have four family members on my account and they have cards in their name.

During the holidays my kids flew in, one had a 3 hour layover at SFO with tolder in tow. She did not have the amex with her but had a pic of the card on her phone and had ID with her. The Centerion Lounge would not let her in because she could not remember the answers to her security questions.

She called me, I called Amex to explain the situation and ask for help. I asked them to please call the lounge and help out. Their excuse for not helping? "We do not have phone numbers for our lounges." That was beyond stupid. "your telling me Amex does not have phone numbers for their own lounges" - "yes, we can only email them". I asked her to escalate, answer "no". Keep in mind like all parents I'm very protective of my kids and now grandchildren, and again that nice part of me disappeared at this stage.

After 15 minutes of going back and forth I said, 'ok, cancel my card". Miraculously the call got escalated. That person instantly called the lounge and my daughter with child were admitted. He also explained they did have phone numbers for the lounges but they were for "internal use only".

Again, I really really hate dealing with stupid people (or procedures) from high end companies. Why would you ever tell a client "we don't have a phone number for our own company?'

/rant off

bball16, wax and Texas Forever like this.
  2. Fiat2Ferrari

Fiat2Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Chicago
    /supportive response on

You played the "cancel my card" card perfectly. When things don't make sense, I like to say, put the nonsensical into perspective. I am the client, you should be asking me how you can help me. If you can't help me, why am I allowing you to earn a living off me?

/supportive response done

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I hate AMEX and still hold a grudge 30 years later. They pissed me off and I canceled my card. For years they sent me pre-qualified card solicitations. I kept my old card and cut pieces off of it and returned the solicitations with my name on them told them to go jump in a lake. I kept cutting that card and sending pieces to them with every solicitation until I had no card left. Not one person ever called to try and resolve the issue so I don't patron AMEX. There are too many other choices who want my business and work for it.

4. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    That’s pretty funny!

I also have a Starwood account, which is now in the news as the largest hack in history.

Great.

5. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Odd if you ask me. I have Centurion and have never had trouble getting family into the lounges. And NONE of them have cards... for a damn good reason.

6. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Most have the cards we have now offer 2% cash back... seriously adds up. None of the black cards, etc, seem to offer that. In fact, they cost more... so why bother?

150k on a card annually is 3k cash back, plus membership fees...

7. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    For me since I travel a good bit, the lounge access and the upgrades to first on even coach tickets more than pays for the fee I endure.

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    are platinum holders eligible for the centurion lounge? if so then they shld rename them the platinum lounges.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the gift certificates you get from centurion are multiples of 3% on top of paying for itself

10. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have a different issue. My monthly spend on my amex is about 50-75k. For some reason on my credit report amex reports my "limit" at $0. It's no limit, clearly, but if I spend $1 it says I'm using 100% of my available credit. Kills my score. I don't borrow money so it's not the end of the world, but it's annoying. I've called a dozen times I don't get anywhere. My new years resolution is to start using Visa/MC/Discover more often and lower my AMEX utilization.

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    At 1m a year spend why in the world do u care what ur credit score is. If u can pay cash for everything you want your score is irrelevant. Just do all ur borrowing against ur brokerage account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

09Scuderia and JAM1 like this.
  12. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It's just annoying. Apparently your score changes your insurance rates and other things.

13. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Agreed. I would not even know mine. Or care.

14. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I still use coupons - in my Phantom. I'm Jewish, it's hard to break old habits.

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i use amex for 90% of my card spending - just looked at my score and its 820 do i dont think using amex impacts a credit score negatively

16. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    You should talk to my old neighbor Moshe. He's 80 and does a whole routine on his Jewishness complete with complaining about why no coupons for his gold purchases. All with a great Jackie Mason inpersonation. It's awesome!

17. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Same with my business partner - and we have similar spends. It's an issue with my account - but nobody can seem (or care) to fix it.

18. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Cancel amex. problem solved.

19. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Trust me I've considered it. Last month I moved all my monthly charges to my fidelity card. So Netflix, Hulu, utilities, insurance, etc are now auto billed to that . I just checked and ive reduced December's amex bill to $26k. I think in a few months I'll use it just for large purchases or something that is risky and I may need their no BS customer protection. This one month raised my score significantly. Annoying game .

20. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Their BS on their no BS customer protection policy is why I no longer have AMEX. Life is so much better with high end visa/mastercard.

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I dont understand. I hate everyone everywhere but Amex is first rate whenever i have to deal with them. U haters talking about black or silver cards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I don’t have the bad experiences others post about either. The opposite actually. It’s puzzling to read.

I had Amex call me to say they saw an anomaly in my charges they believed was fraud and froze the card. They said any charges i made would be confirmed by a direct call until they had a new card in my hand the next day. Seamless and I didn’t miss a beat.

I also use their concierge frequently with great results. Just last week a friend of mine was at MD Anderson in Houston and got some bad news. I called my concierge and she arranged (as my gift to him) to move him to a five star hotel with president suite upgrade at no charge, all the resort credits, in room massage, plus transportation within an hour. Extraordinary service and this isn’t the only time.

I have also called about a few things I bought that **** the bed like a 3 month old TV Best Buy didn’t take back along with a couch that came in the wrong tone/color and RH wouldn’t provide a full refund. Charges were instantly removed without debate.

So as posted above, what cards did you all have that had the issues your describing?

Dai Baracca likes this.
  23. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I travel weekly out of DFW. If you are Dallas based, the Centurion Club is a huge negative. Menu sucks, food is always cold and empty bowls, packed, cannot even pull carry on through all of the feet out in the aisle.
    I will never go back.

24. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I ONLY use my Centurion card. Worst issue I've ever had was at the train station in Geneva where the card was so thick the reader swallowed it, and we couldn't get it back out. Amex next day aired another to my hotel. Plenty of great perks, especially if you travel a lot.

25. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    Which upgrades have you been using to get success with first on coach tickets? Just the delta plat status? Over the past year my upgrade success has gone from nearly 100% to 0%. Seem like the delta plat status is handed out to literally everybody who checks in on the entire flight and is entirely worthless these days. I'm actually getting really irritated with the lack of benefits these days for the high fees.