F430 manual vs Speciale appreciation | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F430 manual vs Speciale appreciation

Discussion in '360/430' started by sunyatsen, Dec 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Gosh it’s a tough question.

I’m not sure how much the next generation of buyers are going to want manual transmissions or if they will think they are inconvenient, clunky and alien (having little if any experience with them).im not saying it’s true, but that may be the perception in the future.
    Does anyone here lust for the last car that was made to be started with a hand crank?

Similarly, does the last normally aspirated v8 mean that much? Is forced induction that offensive to anyone? I’m not sure it is. if we pick the Speciale based on performance, the issue is, it will always fall short of newer models,.

The next generation is a head scratcher for me,

2. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    What if someone comes up with a readily available manual conversion kit for the F430? It´s not exactly rocket science to build all the parts aftermarket.

3. sunyatsen

sunyatsen Rookie

Oct 5, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steven Chao
    I completely understand. I look at what’s going on with autonomous cars and I wonder if my 4 year old will even know how to drive a car, let alone a manual in the future. But I’m only 44, and I should still be able go drive a stick shift for the next 30 years.

808Forza and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That's a funny auto-correct. :)

5. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I missed that - yes quite funny in context. Maybe the computer knows something I don’t. Era

G. Pepper likes this.
  6. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I own both an F430 Spider 6MT and a 458 Spider. I can envision trading the 458 at some point, but find it harder to imagine selling the F430. I believe that all those who analogize the stick-shift transmission to the hand-crank are missing one thing: the let-out of the clutch pedal. No one ever enjoyed hand-cranking an automobile engine. However, engaging the clutch on a high-powered and well-handling car is an experience not to be downplayed, and one that must be experienced if at all possible. I can forgive my F430's various foibles because that feeling of elation that comes with every shift is, to me, incomparable. Fred

7. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    #32 Themaven, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Older cars are worse than newer cars. That's not really the point about collectability. The question wasn't which was a better car, that's the Speciale. 488s are thunderingly fantastic cars and are never going to be collectors' items in terms of appreciation.

Meanwhile, the data I presented suggest lots of 458 Speciales for sale and not finding buyers.

430 manuals are at a lower point than Speciales, see far fewer on the market ( see above and sorry to bring facts into this conversation again), are rarer, last of a long line of manual cars, are (for many experts) more fun to drive and so have more upside potential.

That seems like a fair fact-based hypothesis. I'm not sure how to insert patronising emojis but consider one inserted here!

808Forza likes this.
  8. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    I owned an ‘07 430 Spider w/Stick. Azzuro California, FULL Cuoio interior, blue carpets, carbon fiber interior parts, shields, nav radio, carbon-ceramic brakes, challenge wheels, navy top, the car stopped traffic, pedestrian and auto, wherever I went. Stunning loaded car. Certainly not a cheap stripper. I wish I could get it back. I’d take it over a Speciale in a second.

808Forza, G. Pepper and TheDiffuser like this.
  9. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

808Forza likes this.
  10. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sell it now and report back with the figure :)

11. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Now that is a rare car!

12. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    I really don't understand why someone isn't taking this on. Seems like they would sell out instantly.

13. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    It’s been done. The cost of parts and labor is about $30k.

14. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I guess I’m not as passionate about the manual experience, even though both my cars are manual. Maybe I take it for granted. But 1)there is no joy in clutchwork in heavy traffic, which is increasing not decreasing.... esp in a 500hp car. 2) even if some ppl derive elation from that, as I said in my post, it’s a rapidly declining population at least here in NA. 3)for a great many buyers of performance cars, it’s really hard to convince them of the benefit of “slower” technology. Buyers usually covet the fastest variant of whatever model they are looking at.

But I admit, mechanical simplicity is what steered me towards my manual cars. And as cars get older, I think that has appeal, just in the sense of being able to keep them running as parts and expertise diminish over time.

I just don’t know.

Manda racing likes this.
  15. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Maybe because people realize the F1 gearbox is much better then it´s reputation. It´s the pinnacle of the robotized gearboxes and reasonably fast, very visceral and clutches last a very long time. I wouldn´t be surprised if it got more sought after in the future and if the manuals went down.

plastique999 likes this.
  16. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Maybe in the future the old Ferraris that command $20+million now will be worthless because nobody will be able to drive a manual?....:rolleyes:

LorenzoOO likes this.
  17. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Maybe! and maybe nobody will buy older cars because there were no power windows and younger people don’t know how to use a crank.

18. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    So much easier drinking coffee,turning corners, and talking on the phone with a super fast2 and valves closed while still in Auto. :)

G. Pepper likes this.
  19. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It may be true that younger generations generally can't handle 3 pedals. However, all the young car nuts I know want sticks. As time goes on, nostalgia may favor manuals and cars that are more "mechanical" generally.

Dewinator likes this.
  20. jrtaylor9

jrtaylor9 Rookie

Feb 28, 2015
    Idk, f1 sf2 in the scud is MILES better tranny than the standard f1 in 430 imo. Have u owned both? I’m not a scud zealot but to say it has the same crappy f1 is way off imo. I think the f1 in scud is one of the more fun flappy paddle transmissions made to date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Every subsequent generation paddle tranny is miles ahead of the previous. If you never drive a newer one you won’t complain about the one you have.

22. jrtaylor9

jrtaylor9 Rookie

Feb 28, 2015
    No, obviously, dct technology took paddle shifters to a whole new level. The new GT3RS PDKS is damn near telepathic. My comment was on the Scud F1 vs standard f430 F1 which are the same gen cars but to claim the sf2 in the Scud is the same f430 F1 I think is a bit off once u get behind the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    SF2 is more of an real event than DCT..but if you want a clutchless transmission, you'll probably prefer the speed and smooth of DCT.

Still, I'd take a Scud over a Speciale any day, though that wasn't the OP's question..

24. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    #49 Nachtfalter, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    I owned an F1. I thought the shifts were violent and hugely entertaining. That said, if a true mass produced manual kit for normal money, not “one-off experimental custom shop” money, they would sell out in a week. Or less. As far as desirability, I’m afraid all these cars are doomed to the next generation of Electric hyper cars. No one will be burning fossil fuels or wanting any of this stuff in 30 years.

25. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Agreed