Show your Plane(s) | Page 19 | FerrariChat

Show your Plane(s)

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Feb 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Definitely ask him. A DC-3 in 1988 was just as much of an antique then as now, and no one would have owned one then for practical reasons... and there was much cheaper "flash" available as well, back then (and now).

2. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Kelowna, GuyIncognito and Boomhauer like this.
  3. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
  4. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Not a mistake yet so that's a good sign. Do you get to fly it? Beautiful, def in the 0.25 percent club.

5. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    My partner has (but he's also a pilot) - I have not, but we are wheels up Tuesday to Colombia so I think I'm going to ask to take control for a bit. Since we bought her we've only been able to use her 5 times. The rest of the time we were waiting on inspections and upgrades.

Thanks,
    Erik

6. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Very cool, I hear it's a beautiful country, a friend tried to get me to do a driving event there...

7. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It's unreal. We've been doing business there for several years now - very tech centric and we've been told 1.5 cell phones for every person. The government made a deal with the drug dealers so the streets are safe and clean. I was concerned at first but now it's not an issue at all. I still wear my Breitling Emergency watch just in case...lol .

Thanks,
    Erik

8. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Just got back from the NJ -> Colombia -> Bahamas -> Miami -> NJ trip. Exhausted. I flew right seat for about 15 minutes. It was interesting, but not for me. I hit my head (I'm not that tall) on the instruments on top. I apparently tried to "muscle" the Jet too much - I need to learn finesse. It's also hot as balls in the cockpit. They have very little air up there. I prefer to sit in the back, relaxing, and using the WiFi while listing to music.

Thanks,
    Erik

Matt LaMotte and Island Time like this.
  9. RichardGilmore

RichardGilmore Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Richard Gilmore
  10. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I finally got you an answer! Lol, sorry it took so long. So, he bought it with his brother-in law, who's big into bush planes etc. up in Maine. And had plans to use it for fun chartering, BUT, didn't look into the specs well enough upon purchase, and found out after the fact it's lack of fire proofing made it ineligible for what they wanted to do. He was an enthusiast though for sure, and hired pilots when they flew.

donv likes this.
  11. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Thank you! Yes, someone suckered because "it's such a bargain! And we can make money by chartering it out!" without looking into the details...

12. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Yea, I think his BIL got overexcited lol, and didn’t spend the time ensuring it would be ok to use. He sent me this too last night, I chuckled.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Here's a vid from last year... D-Day paint scheme.
    It's a a HIPER DC-3... has DC-4 engines.

If you keep watching, there are 8 other DC-3's at that airport

14. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Extensive history on N62CC:

http://www.ruudleeuw.com/deepsouth.htm

15. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    You're the man!

That's him in 1988. Virgil, was his dad (my wife's great grandpa). He owned a beer and beverage distributor back then in Bethel too, they made dough, so this all makes sense. I think Pepsi bought them eventually.

16. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Well, it DOES have the big engines, but it did NOT get the gear doors.... or, if it did, they were later removed.... watch the video above from just a few months ago.

17. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I aspire to be in a position to contemplate potentially making mistakes of this size ;).

willrace and GuyIncognito like this.
  18. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    An almost a good job of painting the airplane correctly. Color is on and overall application is okay except for the nose. The grey undersurface should be terminated at the apex of the nose, not three feet aft and underneath. Why paint topside o.d. camouflage under the airplane? Also, why isn't the overall finish dull and flat like it was in WW2? Why is it a gloss finish? With all of the photos of WW2 C-47's available why can't these people do a little bit of accurate research to get things correct? It's amazing that the plastic modelers research and pour over archival resources to get their models correct and the "restorers" with the airplanes and the money produce junk. I have made drawings and collected T.O.'s from WW2 to provide authentic data and even given it to some " Warplane Museums" and it has been ignored.

19. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Thanks Bob... I thought the 'gloss' paint looked wrong.

20. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thank you. Every time we use her it brings a smile to my face...until I get the maintenance bill :(

Erik

21. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Just poked my head in to see what machinery you all fly - what a great diversity!

I'm strictly a recreational VFR low & slow type - I owned a 1946 Ercoupe for about 10 years - based at Danbury, CT, then Hanscom Field, MA, then Schenectady NY - super fun and a tremendous experience that I wouldn't trade for anything. I was the Ercoupe Owner's Club Regional Director and organized monthly fly-ins all over the Northeast. The people you meet are the best part. We'd get up to 14 Ercoupe's coming in for that $100 hamburger. These days I get time with a friend in his Cessna 206UG... but with life, wife, kids and cars it gets long between flights...

Anyhow - here's a link to my Ercoupe N99404, aka The Bad Hare - with a custom instrument panel, nothing digital at all, just a sectional chart on my lap and a good pair of sunglasses.

http://www.ercoupe.net/N99404.html

Cheers,
    - Art

donv likes this.
  22. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#474 Tcar, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Thanks, Art...
    My uncle had an Ercoupe that was also paintless. He lived in La Junta, Colorado.
    Flew down to Albuquerque several times (where we lived).

Do I see rudder pedals in the picture? Hard to tell on my small screen. Were they added or original (some had them originally, I read somewhere).

23. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    When I was a kid hopping airports, my brother took me to College Park Airport to spend the day while was working on his cadaver at U.of Md . med school. I saw the weirdest airplane sitting there with the Cubs and Wacos. I was told that it was the first Ercoupe. I think that it was 1938-39. I flew one in 1947 at Sarasota-Bradenton Airport. I also saw a bizarre incident where a wiped-out drunk successfully flew one from West Palm Beach and landed it at Sarasota. It had been flown through a hail storm and displayed serious shot peening. The engine was shot from being run at near full throttle much of the time. The airplane and pilot never flew again.

71Satisfaction likes this.