458 values/trends | Page 5 | FerrariChat

458 values/trends

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Joe P., Mar 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JP Manor

JP Manor Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Agoura Hills / Malibu
    Full Name:
    JP Manor
    To me (and I think a lot of others) They are very different cars. The 488 feels much more modern and a bit more refined. It handles better and is much faster. The 458 has a certain sound, feel, and rawness that gives it a completely different character. When I purchased my 458, my dealer was trying to push me towards the 488 and gave it to me for the weekend. I still ended up choosing the 458 because it felt more special to me. (and I think it's better looking) I didn't buy it as an investment of any kind, but I'd bet that in 20 years time, a good condition 458 will be selling for significantly more than a 488.

I understand your comparisons with the 512 and 430 and 360, but I don't think the same rule will apply to the 458/488.

Caeruleus11 and xfrgtr like this.
  2. grendel88

grendel88 Rookie

Apr 28, 2014
    There is just too many nice sports and exotic cars now. Everyone of them has some kind of following, pluses and minuses. The Ferrari brand and exclusivity edge is getting more and more narrow as they produced more cars. I am looking for my first 458, but have been in and out of Porsche GT cars for years, which maintain a fairly slow depreciation curve because of mass popularity among car pubs, fanboys, etc, and also the price points are lower than Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, or McLaren. Because there is so much product (meaning new and preowned fast exotic cars with similar general performance) the buyer is king, unless there is some limited production involved. I think Ferrari enthusiasts were the first to take advantage of the brand accessibility in terms of controlling prices.

Porsche GT cars only really started their cycle around 2014 with the release of the 991.1 GT3 and the mass over pricing of air-cooled cars and manual transmissions. Before 2014, Porsche had a hard time selling all of their GT3 and GT3RS allocations.

Guys who have been at this car thing have all pointed at stock markets, asset bubbles, and cheap money, which has to be true. But again, that also fuels more and more competition from a supply side. 911 Turbos, MAC 570S, Audi R8, all new cars around $200K, all sub 3.0 0-60, and all depreciated down to $150K or so depending on year and mileage.

I love cars, all brands have their things. This next car I decided on a budget of $160-200K for preowned and some what depreciated car. Here are all of the cars on my list:

1. 458 Spider
    2. 458
    3. 991 GT3RS
    4. Huracan
    5. Audi R8
    6. AMG GTR
    7. 570S Spider

I mean every car on this list is a nice car with similar performance. Unless you are an absolute brand nut or fanboy, you could be happy with any of these cars. The supply is way way greater than the demand. Obviously, there are reasons why I ranked my list in terms of most want, but again, I think I would be happy with any of these.

Caeruleus11 and Lovedriving like this.
  3. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Pick the RS, then 458 spider, followed by 458.

4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Lots of good choices on that list.

5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great list

6. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Nope 458 spider, 458, Huracan

Afonsolaw likes this.
  7. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    My next car I’m going to budget in the sub 150. I will try find the nicest example with the most miles. If my budget was a hit more I’d probably go for a huracan because I’m a currently lamborghini owner. I’m fairly patient because I figure the 458 hasn’t hit the bottom of their depreciation curve. From what I’ve read they’re fantastic cars. First one I get in and drive will he the one I buy! haha

8. Robmypro

Robmypro Rookie

Aug 3, 2016
    As someone who is looking for my first Ferrari, I can add some thoughts from a novice. First, i currently have a 991.1 GT3 and love it. Best car I have ever owned. But I am not getting any younger and the pull towards Ferrari is strong. As i look at the F market I only see two cars I want sitting next to my GT3. Either a 458 or a Scuderia. The argument I can make for the 458 is that it is quite possibly the prettiest car Ferrari have ever made. It has plenty of power, is modern, NA and has a great DCT. To me these things all matter, and if prices weaken a bit more I will most likely pull the trigger.

I already have a great Porsche, so that box is checked. No interest in turbo cars, so that eliminates the 488, other makes like McLaren, and some others. I don’t care for Lamborghini. To me nothing says the mountaintop like Ferrari, and I can’t see myself settling for anything else. On looks alone...458.

9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    See my response on Rennlist. :)

10. Robmypro

Robmypro Rookie

Aug 3, 2016
    Thanks for the insight. Replied!

11. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I’m in FL and looking for an upgrade to my trusty 911. Looking at an NSX, R8, 458 or 458 Spider.

Looking at a ‘18 NSX this weekend, I’d probably wait for the RWD ‘19 R8 to come out.

But I’m leaning heavily towards the 458 Spider ( the boss approves). Wide budget range 160-235. PM me if anyone has a nice white or red one! Love black too, just too hot for FL.

Afonsolaw and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  12. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    William,

If you love nero, don't let the heat influence your decision. Most of us don't daily drive a 458 and we keep the car in a garage, so you'll very rarely leave your car in the sun and get back in.

FL is very hot, regardless of color. That's why I love FL! :D

Hope you find the perfect 458 for you asap!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  13. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Hard to go against the 458. It's the benchmark which all others in that time were measured against, and which they failed to topple.

Afonsolaw, Caeruleus11 and 3POINT8 like this.
  14. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I’m here to tell you I’m on my third black/black Ferrari spider living in Florida . Once you go black ....... All the best , Kirk.

15. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Yes, I have a black/black 911. Winters are fine, but summers I can cook bacon and eggs.......

Kirk, I’m still looking and see a real nice coupe for sale in FL. Would I have buyers remorse not getting a Spider?

Cigarzman likes this.
  16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Yes

Cigarzman likes this.
  17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    But Kirk...you only wear bathing suits and crocks!

Cigarzman likes this.
  18. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

When did Ferrari start making coupes ? I’ve never heard of such a thing. :) All 3 of mine have been Spiders. My DD is also a retractable hard top too. Best ,Kirk.

Ps. I’ll take you bathing suit shopping so you can be more comfortable in your Nero car.

19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I gotta say, anything above 75 in SoCal and i just cooked in my 458 Spider.
    Not so much in the Perf S as the ac is light years ahead. Just something to consider. Kirk somehow survives so it must not be that bad.

Cigarzman likes this.
  20. benny11_85308

benny11_85308 Karting

Dec 12, 2016
    I have a nero 458 spider in Az, no issues at all with heat. Get the color you want Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Baitschev and Cigarzman like this.
  21. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dustman , I pinkie promise it’s not bad. But , proper bathing suit attire helps. If it’s not raining my top is always down 30-95 degrees I don’t care. Best,Kirk.

22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Keep in mind though, Kirk’s hair is like him driving around with a beach umbrella.

Cigarzman likes this.
  23. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I have usually bought a exotic and 6 months to a year there after had my eye on another exotic... since buying my 458 spider that has not happened... it ticks all the boxes and I am not interested in a 488 no turbo cars for me and I am a big fan of the Ferrari brand so I have no where to go. Great feeling like knowing you married the rite girl

24. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Noticed in a different thread that Mike has about 50 people looking for a 458. Accurate or not, it does confirm that this is a very desirable car. There are several for sale on auto trader, etc that have been there for many months and I'm not talking off colors, red and black ones.

My dream is a 458 but budget has me in the 430 direction as of today.

Red/tan or red/blk with reasonable (under 20k miles?) in the 150k range and I may not be able to resist. July is still my timeframe. Need those stocks to vest!

25. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    How about numbers ?

How many 458's and 488's were built ?

Less made means higher value imo ...

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.