308 CV Joint Rebuild | Page 8 | FerrariChat

308 CV Joint Rebuild

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dave, Oct 8, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    GKN/Loebro, ordered from AutohausAZ. Seems like it was around $65.

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    That's because the wheel is held to the car by the hub, not the CV joint. The wheel doesn't fall off even if you remove the CV...

Lack of grease can cause the joint to overhead and destroy itself, though. Plus the torn boot will be slinging grease all over everything.

3. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Thanx. I'll check them out.

4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    May be true for the 308 design, but on other cars the outer CV joint is integral to the splice shaft through the hub which preloads the wheel bearings.

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    We had a Titan 4WD in the shop a couple of weeks ago with that design... talk about a nightmare removing the CV. At one point I suggested the best course of action was a new truck.

6. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Interesting. What was the nightmare? My 911 rear and Tahoe front are both that design and I've R&R the half shafts (inner/outer CV joints and spline shafts) without any issues. Bearings should be tight, just not tight enough to drive with the shaft out.

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The original work order was to replace the ball joints, tie rod ends, and lower control arms. (Also the bushings, but they new control arm had them integrated). But as so many things go, it became apparent that the hub/cv was interfering with removing other parts - so, no problem - just remove the CV shaft and let's get the arm & knuckle out of the way.

I think it was a mix of age & corrosion, but ultimately the guy doing the job resorted to using the BFH to get it apart. Destroyed the threads for the nut, of course, so we ended up having to replace the CV assembly as well.

jcurry likes this.
  8. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Sounds about like what I did to the Tahoe a couple wks ago. Luckily, even at 271k mile the half shaft splines slipped right out, no BFH required.

thorn likes this.
  9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Whoa, that's some holiday magic right there! :D

10. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Been following this post and even added a few suggestions, but does it really take 184 posts to document how to rebuild a CV joint?! This is not rocket science.

11. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Very valuable pointers in this thread, I am going to do a differential seal replacement shortly on my 3.2, and take comfort in seeing how others have dealt with some practical things, like bracing the collar with studs and a bar to get the centre bolt off. It is not like we have a Haynes manual for these cars, this FChat thread and others like it are really important, keep them coming!

12. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    well, I am doing my boot again, one is leaking grease even though the boot is still on.

Having a hard time finding part numbers for the bolts and nuts or suitable replacement.

Anybody know what part numbers?

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not without a model and year.

The problem you are having is very common. The clamps were not tight enough. Not all clamps out there are up to the job.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    101632 for the bolt
    101633 for the nut

If we are still talking about a 308. On this thread you never know.

Both easily found on either the Ricambi or AW websites.

brian.s and absostone like this.
  15. gblue

gblue Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Maui Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gregg Blue
    Aloha,I am having trouble removing the CV joint from the axle.......hitting it from the back with a rubber hammer...seems stuck....

Mahalo from Maui Image Unavailable, Please Login

f355spider likes this.
  16. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Common problem as there are often burrs where the groove for the circlip intersects the spline -- do you have the complete axle assembly removed so you can work on it on the bench?

17. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Have you tried using a puller?

18. 328GTB

328GTB Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    View attachment 3260327
    I have to wipe this off very time I return from a drive. What is this clear stuff oozing between the CV and the hub carrier flange? It's happening on both the right and left side. Is it from the liqui moly grease?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They get rusted together. I had a Ferrari here recently for CV boots that I was afraid of breaking the suspension upright getting the shaft out so ultimately I removed the shaft together with the upright and replaced the boots with them still assembled. I always liberally apply antisieze on the splines when assembling.

20. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #195 Steve Magnusson, Dec 30, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    Looks more like your diff seal(s) is(are) leaking (if that's oil running down the outside of the conical drive hub on the left side of your picture), but could be the gearbox lubricant leaking out the splined shaft/washer/bolt path -- did you just have the CV boot/joints serviced, or when they were last serviced, was the splined shaft/washer/bolt path well sealed? Have your diff seals ever been replaced since birth?

Rifledriver likes this.
  21. 328GTB

328GTB Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    I did just have the CV boot/joints serviced. The leak is not coming from the transaxle side. It's coming from the hub carrier flange from the wheel side.

22. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Brake fluid?

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

23. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Looks like a diff seal leak to me, the centrifugal force throws the oil up the cone and then it flings off of the cv joint. Is it on one side only?

Gear oil has a pretty distinctive smell, you should be able to tell if that is gear oil.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I suspect so. Like Steve said its running down the exterior of the drive flange.

25. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #200 robertgarven, Dec 30, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    All,

I can't tell what it is but like I mentioned above if it's gear oil it would smell strongly. It can't be coming from inside the CV joint because almost all the lube in there turns dark. I would highly recommend the Redline CV grease as I've used out on many different applications and it's worked perfectly for years and it was designed to run on Porsches at Le Mans supposedly!

I was having a leak from my differential and sealed both sides (see above) Good luck whatever it is, if it's brake fluid you need to get on it right away!

I apologize a lot of my questions seem stupid I've learned a lot since then and probably forgot even more there seems like a lot of good information on this thread though!

When did fast radio get banned?

Rob