355 GTB, GTS Or Spyder | FerrariChat

355 GTB, GTS Or Spyder

Discussion in '348/355' started by Rossocorsa1, Dec 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Of the three variants, which do you prefer and why?

1. GTB

25 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. GTS

12 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. Spyder

16 vote(s)
    30.2%
  1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I love them all but I’ve always preferred berlinettas. I love the pure lines.

2. Zbaroom

Zbaroom Karting

May 27, 2012
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Zaini
    GTB .. most beautiful curves.

3. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    indeed all three variants of the 355 are very nice in their own ways..
    but for me im 100% coupe.. never owned an open top or convertible car.

that said I wouldn't be against a GTS.. as it still retains the coupe shape.

however for me, imo the spider.. looks correct only with the top down, presenting the 355 in a new appealing shape.. I especially like a black/tan spider with the top down and a tan cover. but with the top up.. it splits the car, and ruins the shape of the car to my eye.. as does the same with the 360 and 430 spiders. in all 3 cases this is due to the soft top.

however with the hard tops now... 458, 488 etc.. I would be indifferent between coupe/spider as even with spider the coupe shape is retained..

4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I prefer the berlinetta with gts as close second.

Steve355F1, taz355 and Dave rocks like this.
  5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    GTB has the best lines,
    AND
    GTB is the stiffest when you are actually bothering to use the car for what it was intended.

6. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    How much stiffer is the GTB? I have only driven GTS.

7. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Open air experience in the spider is second to none

PhilB, Buzzl, RCKSTR and 3 others like this.
  8. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Having owned both the noticeable difference is initial turn in is more direct feeling in the Berlinetta. The car feels notably more pointy.

Both the cars however have very flexible chassis compared to anything modern so I think the B VS GTS choice for track purposes or rigidity alone is a mute point now.

The B is the cleanest shape, but I love my GTS so much more when the top is off and I can hear the roar of the capristo exhaust so unfiltered.

I have driven a spider only with roof on and I can only imagine how good of a sensory experience that would be with the roof off.

Steve355F1 likes this.
  9. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    There is no perfect choice, eh? The spider is truly open like nothing modern, but the lines do suffer some. I liked the GTS for a bit of best of both worlds in terms of experience and beauty. Wondering if the combo of added rigidity - I will appreciate it more than most - with windows down will be the sweat spot. We will have to see.

10. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #10 jimmym, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    The Berlinetta and GTS with the roof on have the best lines as far as aesthetics. I prefer the Berlinetta over the GTS, one less area for a potential of leaks or squeaks.

11. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Not sure how accurate it is or how it applies to 355 vs 348 but here is a quote I found in a book..

"Ferrari 308 328 and 348: The complete story".

It states-

(in reference to 348)

"The resulting body shell in berlinetta form was an impressive 59 percent more resistant to torsional loadings than it's predecessor, though the 348ts could improve on the 328 GTS shell's stiffness by only 5 percent"

In regards to the spider, it states-

"The fully open bodywork exhibited the same level of torsional rigidity as the ts and there was little of the typical convertible's defining dynamic weakness of scuttle shake. Strengthening had been applied to the cars windscreen frame and to the side members to restore the rigidity lost with the amputation of the ts's b pillar roll structure"

A bit of a difference if the above is correct. As for how much it matters it really comes down to how sensitive you are to such things. GTS feels pretty damn good for a car that has a removable roof. A new Camaro convertible for example -feels- to me 1000 times more flexible.

That being said I can feel the difference in rigidity between gts and b, I would bet many would not even notice.

12. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Air, sun & sound: what more could you want?

Buzzl, RCKSTR and johnk... like this.
  13. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I can understand a GTB for those who track and for those who don't own one of the best sculpted cars ever built by Ferrari, the 308 GTB, Image Unavailable, Please Login but for cruising the highways and back roads, I'll stick with what may be the most beautiful spider every to grace the automotive world. The sun on your face, the sound in your ears, the freedom and fresh air.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

And w/o those flying buttasses and rear window the spider is a lot easier to work on.:)

PhilB, tatry68 and Buzzl like this.
  15. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    GTB for its purity of line, then GTS as a close second for its identical silhouette, and ability to go topless, enhancing the open cockpit Ferrari experience and sound. However black GTS over both, because it hides the cut lines of the Targa, and because black is best, making it the best of all world.

Spider is its own category in my book. Reason enough for a garage pairing of both GTB and Spider.

16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I agree with that. The different between any closed and open car, IMO, is that with a close car you take it out and enjoy the experience of driving car. With a drop top you get all that plus you get to enjoy the day. Back in January I swapped my 07 Boxster for a 014 Cayman S. I love the Cayman, and it's a lot more convenient as a daily driver, but out on the back twisties, on a nice day, I do miss the openness of the Boxster.

And by the way, the worst feature of any 355 is the god awful front bumper and excessive front end overhang. To me it looks like the designer got to the front of the car and said "What do I do here?" And he looked around and saw a picture of the 456 and said, "Wonder if that would fit."

17. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I couldn't disagree more ;)

Steve355F1 and Buzzl like this.
  18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    RCKSTR likes this.
  19. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    RCKSTR likes this.
  20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  21. ssnowball

ssnowball Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2013
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Scot
    Love em all, but with great year round weather I had to go open air...in fact top is rarely put up.

johnk... and Buzzl like this.
  22. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I would like it best if I had all three.
    If I must choose then a B for the lines