488 Pilota | Page 9 | FerrariChat

488 Pilota

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ppg70, Jun 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    elmadi likes this.
  2. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
  3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thanks for the info. I like that a lot.

4. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Please tell me it’s not really $100,000 more? How can that be?

Boomhauer and hs355 like this.
  5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Ferrari Factory can ask anything …. :eek:

elmadi likes this.
  6. LarryC

LarryC Karting

Jun 5, 2013
    Saint Petersburg

Where did you hear that? I thought they all had the #51 on them.

7. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I read it in the offering for the car which also had the color options. I heard it in presentations made by Ferrari to us about the car at driver events. I heard it from salespeople. It was even in magazine articles such as this one:

“While the presentation model sports the number 51, which matches that of the WEC-winning 488 GTE, clients can get any number they want.”

With all the personal options available in any Ferrari, a simple change of number on the side of the car and the bottom of the steering wheel is easy.

While I haven’t looked at each line item for the Pilota, the $100,000 that is being complained about here is versus a base Pista. I dare say very few of us are speccing our Pista’s without some very expensive add-ons. The Pilota includes much of the optional carbon fiber that many of us are adding to our base Pistas. The true additional cost is basically for the tailor made accents such as the unique livery and number.

BaronM69, bwshihtzu and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    $100k is very reasonable for a tailor made car - it actually seems a bit of a bargain to me... I had a good look over it at a recent TM slot of my own and there are some really great details on this car, for instance the rear wing in carbon which runs through to the side venting and is a very complex piece and the seat design which is a first and very novel. They told me it was extremely difficult to do.

Bundy, bwshihtzu and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
  10. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I think charging $525,000 base price for a car with a different paint job is ridiculous, then there are options to add. A nice Piloti is going to be $550-$600k. Who is going to order one?

When I was offered one I said yes in under 10 seconds, go figure.

Spec? Blue tdf with my own number of course.
    I’m in!!!

BaronM69, Caeruleus11 and TSOYBELIS like this.
  11. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    do you race to be offered one or did they accept non racing top clients as well?

12. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    elmadi and jamesdouglas1436 like this.
  13. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Yes have challenge car etc

BaronM69 likes this.
  14. gef3rd

gef3rd Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 21, 2009
    Palos Verdes Estates
    Full Name:
    George
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Depends on what's included in the base MSRP. This is my MSRP and it does not include carbon fiber wheels or any real TM type of features. I've seen 6 Pistas and the lowest MSRP I saw was $420K and half were north of $450K.

elmadi likes this.
  15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Funny how some say OEM CF options have little to no ROI yet it seems to be well received and always figured into the MSRP that resale is based on. :)

elmadi likes this.
  16. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's the Pilota sticker or the Pista?

elmadi likes this.
  17. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    The $51k other options perhaps tell me it's a Piloti.

18. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    My Piloti came out between 550-600!

elmadi and kevin1244 like this.
  19. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    My Pista did not have a $51k other options even though the base price was the same as this one.

elmadi likes this.
  20. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    That's because initial allocations go to folks that order Lusso/BS or high MSRP cars. Dealer maximizing profit upfront then work down their customer list as allocations are provided.

Nothing new.

21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Sorry was referring to customer return on investment for options selected on original cars. Some say they are worthless yet the data shows that all secondary market offers are based on MSRP of the car which includes all options. The return is realized at resale and many options are considered deal breakers if not ordered. Best.

22. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't think market offers are based on MSRP though... Half of the for sale ads online don't even mention MSRP or show a picture of the sticker.

Most cars usually only have a few options that are "must have" as far as CF goes. For Ferraris, the steering wheel in CF is pretty popular. Other than that, nothing really comes to mind on recent Ferraris as must have CF.

CF options really depend on color schemes. Many people don't like their car looking like a leopard with CF splotches all over it.

23. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    So then, half of the online adds state MSRP and everyone here asks for MSRP in the for sale sections. Of course everyone wants to know the MSRP so they can make a reasonable offer. The seller wants the buyers to know what it cost them. Nothing is for free. Well spec'd and tastefully upgraded cars cost more, are more desirable and sell for more than bizarre specs or plain base models. The Pilota above will sell for more given the MSRP and the spec.

24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Almost 50k in carbon options ?? WT* o_O

25. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #225 noone1, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    The seller only wants the buyer to know what it costs them if the car is heavily depreciated and at a good price. Look at Ferrari ads on eBay as a good example. Ferrari ads are much less likely to mention MSRP or show a sticker because then the prices don't look as good. A used Aston Martin or McLaren emphasize MSRP much more often because the depreciation is so much more and looks much better.

I believe the general consensus though is that CF options, on just about any car, do not have high residuals. Ferraris are no different. They sell for more, but only pennies on the dollar more with respect to the CF options.

We're already seeing it happen slowly, but in the not too distant future, CF will not be much of a luxury trim. We'll eventually be mass producing CF and composites in even cheap cars. BMW i3 has more CF that 100 Pistas and costs less than the options on that single Pista heh

elmadi likes this.