2013 FF at Ferrari of Austin | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2013 FF at Ferrari of Austin

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by LeoBRK, Nov 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    So Nobody knows this car? According to carfax 1 owner in Cali, drove it about 14k in 2 1/2 years, went back to Ferrari dealer in Cali, then seems to have went to Fort Lauderdale FL briefly and now sits at Ferrari AustinTX. So basically, its been in dealers for about 3 years......(?) Within the time the first owner gave it back, it accumulated about 4k more miles...Is that a bit peculiar for a car to move from dealer to dealer and no sale on it for 3 years..?? Why do i feel there is a story with this car that the current dealer is not telling me, or maybe he does not know? The dealers EXTREMELY SLOW communication and lack of information leads me to believe something is not right. I have been speaking with the dealer for a month and he is so not eager to sell the car to me? Mind you, we are---(were) so close in price... Odd!

2. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Can you have it Certified or buy a factory extended warranty? If they will certify it, it should be OK. Nothing major wrong with it.

3. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    The dealer claims is can be certified..Needs a few items to get the CPO status, 4 new tires, alignment maybe some other small items. So yes, if I get it certified then I really should have nothing to really worry about.
    I still though think its odd that this car has not been sold in years...Although is not heavily optioned, it seems to a fairly desirable color combo and it has the forged rigms...

4. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Still wondering why they are dragging their feet. Wouldn't they want to get it out of their inventory?!

5. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    Totally crazy! I have never seen such a lack of enthusiasm from a saleperson. It takes him literally days or even a week to get back to me with any information.. I have been speaking with him for over a month. Truthfully, if he was a good salesperson he could have likely "sold" me on the car weeks ago! If i really needed to have this car ASAP, I would have called the Manager and completely bypassed him..If we were like 10k apart I would understand but we are a few thousand dollars difference. There is no doubt this car will still be sitting there after the new year, and another calendar year older.. I will likely, by default of the salesperson wind up getting this car for cheaper than what I (was) going to pay.

6. TurboDoc

TurboDoc Rookie

Apr 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    BKB
    I agree with the earlier mention that it has the right wheels and if it’s the color combo you have been looking for then I would do as you mentioned. Go to the manager. No need to mention the lazy salesman. Just be honest and tell them you thought you were close and is there a reason they can’t meet your number. No question you are correct that they will want the car out of there by year end and if the manager knows you are serious he will force the salesman to get it done.

I would suggest leaving emotion or passion out of it but that is not what Ferraris are about...it’s all emotion! So if it’s the car for you make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

otakki likes this.
  7. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Have you noticed that the Austin FF has a serious case of sticky plastic around the A/C controls? I'd want that refinished (and any other sticky plastics too) as part of any deal with these guys - see the Sticky RX thread https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/sticky-rx-refinishing-solutions-ferrari-ff-refinishing.569260/ for details of what might need redone.

For my money, the private sale in NJ looks like a much better kept car. I hear what you say about getting a low mileage car but the mileage difference between them isn't that great and at this age of car, condition is everything.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    Agreed, no need to degrade the salesperson :) Lets see what happens after the new year. Purchasing in Feb/March is much more to my benefit anyway since I would not be getting the most driving until after the winter.

9. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    To be honest I have not! In fact when I spoke to the salesman I specifically asked him and he said there was none.. LOL ! Yes I would want that added to the deal for sure. Thank you for pointing this out, I have not noticed that in the pictures.
    Yes the NJ car in far better condition. And, its less than 1 hour drive from where I live so that saves me a ton of money of transportation ($1700) and the cost if I decided to fly to TX for 2 nights...Im very sure I can purchase the NJ car for a better price, as it is a 2012 and has more miles. I just think that those miles are going to be a deal killer for me since I intend to drive this car a min of 6k per year. So essentially within 2 years I am having a car with close to 40k. Additionally the benefit of the TX car is not only does it have about 5k less miles , its a 13, and the dealer can have the car CPO and I can purchase the power warranty.

10. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Things may be different in the US but in Europe, you can purchase the power warranty at any time. All that is required is an inspection by a Ferrari dealer prior to the warranty being applied. I guess you've ruled the NJ car out on mileage grounds but don't let the warranty issue stop you. You could make it a condition of sale "I pay for the warranty but the purchase is contingent on passing the warranty inspection and if it needs work then the cost of that is deducted from the sale price".

Given the distance involved and how fast and loose the Austin salesman has been with you on things like the sticky plastic, I would walk away from that dealer right now. You have time. Use it to forget this car, chase other leads and find a better specced car. I'd venture that the Austin car's lack of carbon LED wheel will do more to damage your resale chances than an extra 5k miles (though I note the NJ car doesn't have a carbon LED wheel either). More cars will be for sale in the spring (although your best chance of getting a good deal financially is now).

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #36 Caeruleus11, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Do you really think that 5k miles on a base of ~40k will make a difference? I don't think so. Lets compare:

You said you will drive a minimum of 6k miles a year but then said you will have 40k miles on it by the time you go to sell. So if the Texas car has 18k miles now, and you think you'll end up at 40k, that's 22k new miles over 2 years or 11k per year. Compare to the NJ car which is closer to you and appears to be in better condition and with a seller that seems ready willing and able to discuss this with you and has 23k miles on it now. If we add your 22k miles on to this you are at 45k miles in 2 years. In 2 years it will be 2021 (we're really close to 2019 so I'm rounding). In 2021 the FF will eseentially be 10 years old. I'm not sure if the USA got any 2011 MY cars. But in either case you're talking about comparing either 8 or 9 model years older (and soon to be 10 once June hits) and 40k miles vs 45k? I would look at both cars and while mileage and MY are considerations, I would go with the car that has the better condition and proof of that condition (history). I think the model years and 5k delta in mileage is a bit of a wash. You're still going to be selling against cars with much lower mileage- and- by then the GTC4 will be old enough to be pressuring FF prices lower - and- who knows- but at some point there will be a replacement for the GTC4. I am not knocking the FF but just staying the obvious- you will be then selling a 2 generation old car. Think 2 generations before the FF. Thats the 456. How much difference in value do you think there is today between a 1999 456M with 75k miles or a 2000 456M with 70k miles? I don't think you'd really look at the years nor the miles, but rather the condition of these cars. That's more or less where I think you are now and more so where you will be when the sad day arrives.

I don't know either of these sellers, I am only going by what they put on line and your descriptions; if I were in your shoes, I'd go for the NJ car.

otakki and ANOpax like this.
  12. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    All great points! I have nothing to lose by waiting until the spring and will have more opportunities to purchase a lower mileage car and new year 13/14 and maybe find a deal on a 15, even if im paying more it might be worth the price.

13. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    Thank you for your analysis! You have very good points. I will agree with you, after 40k another 5k really will not make a big difference at that point in time. Your statement about the 456 is spot on! I intend on driving the 3/4 days per week as a daily therefore tacking on the miles. At year 3 i will very likely have at least 40k. By year 5 lets make that about 55k. At this point , there really is no sense in selling it. A 11 year, 55k and probably 2nd generation 4 seater will likely be worth well under $100k. I cant imagine the pool of buyers for this will be abundant? This particular car has essentially been sitting in now 3 dealers for over 3 years with NO individual buyers....So I am going to just have to just drive this car until the wheels come off. Or I get crippled with the costs of maintaining it and cut my losses. Perhaps an ideal situation would be finding a well sorted out car that has about 7-10k miles. Paying a bit more for the premium might be worth it. If my goal is never to really sell it.?? I personally feel for some reason after 50k on a car they just start to fall apart a bit.. Especially living in NYC and traveling in the Tri State area where the highways and roads a not very kind on automobiles. I have experienced this with my S Class Benz and 2 Maserati Quatroportes all of which i put about 50k on. I cant imagine how well the FF will hold up under these conditions.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. McLoven

McLoven Rookie

Feb 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    MCK
    I was looking more closely at the HVAC surround (AC controls). My FF has the same gloss finish around the outside of the knobs. It is not sticky, but most FF's came with a "soft touch" HVAC. Dave @ Sticky RX just sent my interior parts back on Monday. I will upload photos of his work this evening for you to confirm the gloss finish when car returns from Sphere. As for the laser itching areas/ knobs, obviously that will be most likely sticky.

The area that would concern me is the doom assembly.

Pricing for refinishing isn't too extreme. Much better than if you have to purchase a $3500 HVAC unit from Ferrari (which will most likely become sticky again). It took him about 3 weeks to do the HVAC, VDA, headlight switch assembly .

It went in for a pinched hydraulic line/ aux tank and got convinced to put Novitec lowering springs, etc.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

otakki and ANOpax like this.
  15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I actually think you will be better off with one of these cars, no need to pay a premium to someone who didn't put many miles on the car. I think the wear and tear of the area will result in the same costs. I think you will be surprised that a Ferrari can go for a very long time, but there will be some maintenance costs that can be large. If you can get a warranty on the car it might not be the worst idea given the mileage. Just make sure to check the limits. I'm sure any of the local dealers can help you.

16. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo

Great looking car! Love those rims! Black is my personal favorite, but im a bit OCD and dust/dirt and swirl marks would drive me mad to look at...
    I didnt think that the TX car looked to have sticky HVAC surrounds, but hard to tell in pics and who knows what the saleperson is telling me is true or not. I wish someone in TX saw this car at the dealership..

17. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    Yes maybe....I firmly believe a FF can easily handle 50k ++ miles. Although, 50k in florida or Cali is a lot kinder than 50k in the NYC area.

otakki and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. kenwidmerpool

kenwidmerpool Rookie

Jun 17, 2016
    California
    I posted in picture thread to knock this one down. You can do it, bra. We have faith .

19. McLoven

McLoven Rookie

Feb 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    MCK
    Agreed, though black and dark grey is all I buy. I like to punish myself somehow when purchasing sports cars. I live in Houston and will be traveling to Austin around the 28th December. I can swing by and take a look at it for you.

I noticed it doesn't have the parcel shelf in the trunk. I can only imagine what Ferrari would like to charge for that replacement. Also, it doesn't have pit speed (cruise control) on the VDA panel. I see it has heated seats only. Auto button in center stack is worn and will need to be refinished from what I can see.

I see this one isn't spec'd at all. I presume you want to stay in the budget of 120-130. I don't know if you looked at this one. Has a lot more options and almost half the miles for same asking price. Overall, it looks okay other than the side skirts, not sure if those are Novitec or not, but easy to get painted.

https://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/listing/2012/ferrari/ff/1873420

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  20. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    #45 ANOpax, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    McLoven likes this.
  21. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    #46 ANOpax, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    And this one - also 15,000 miles but a bit outside your budget. I'm a sucker for red/black interiors but condition looks to be perfect and every carbon option appears to have been ticked. That's over $30,000 (I think) of carbon right there. All other options appear to have been ticked too (passenger display, sport exhaust, lifter, front camera etc etc). This would have been a very high MRSP car. It is wrapped white but is Grigio Silverstone underneath so if the wrap comes off well, the paintwork should be in great condition. You spend all the time driving the car staring at the cockpit so you might as well get the best interior that you can.

https://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/listing/2012/ferrari/ff/1919358

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  22. McLoven

McLoven Rookie

Feb 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    MCK
    Buy that one! You're right ANOpax on your suggestion. That Red is gorgeous. They changed out the stereo as well. Looks to be the Kenwood Excelon. Only thing lost if changing head unit is the radio/ track info on the right screen in the instrument cluster. Reverse and forward cams work just fine, in case you were wondering.

Leo, FYI the audio in this car is not anything to write home about.

I am not a fan of the all red LED steering wheel. I went with the Green-orange-red setup from MaCarbon.

I wish I would have gotten the diamond stitch!! :([/QUOTE]

23. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    If you could stop in to physically take a look at the car that would FANTASTIC and Much Appreciated! Should I DM you and give the saleperson I have been deal with? LOL. Yes, this car is no really optioned whatsoever, other than the rims and the brown inserts, therefore, price point is certainly SUB $130, and the more and more I think of this particular car, closer to the mid to lower $120's

24. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
  25. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    Yes, I saw this car, and I didnt realize the original exterior is Grigo, thanks for pointing that out. The Grigo and the Red are a HOT combination of colors!! This car indeed has most of the options and was def a high MRSP. $160k for a 15kmiles 2012 is that not a high ask? I understand its is very highly optioned, I would think this car would be more $140-150k? I am off on this? Within the next several months into 2019, I hope to see some 14's and just maybe a 15 between $150-160k.

I really love that aggressive red interior, but not sure how it would be living with every week, day in and day out? I think this color combo for me would be great if i was driving the car more as a weekend or occasional toy ...