Is the Ferrari 360 "worth it"? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Is the Ferrari 360 "worth it"?

Discussion in '360/430' started by RonHoward, Dec 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    I bought a 430 spider in the spring of 2014 for $150k. Blue/Cuoio, shields, carbon fiber, ceramic brakes, challenge wheels and Stick.
    I sold the car in the summer of 2017 to an exotic car dealer friend for $180k. He sold it to a Florida dealer for $197.5k. The Florida dealer retailed it for $229k. During my three years of ownership I replaced the battery for about $229.00 and did an oil change service for about $400.00. I have owned 11 Ferrari between 1988 and the present and lost money on only 5 of them. So my guess is that it cost me about $100,000 to own the 11 cars over the last 30 years, inclusive of depreciation, maintenance and insurance. Of the 11 cars, only 3 were brand new.

Need4Spd likes this.
  2. Terence Courtnage

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Terence Courtnage
    One oil change in three years... hmmm..

TooFast355 likes this.
  3. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
  4. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    To be precise, an oil service was performed before delivery to me, and then I serviced it about 18 months in, and then it was serviced after I sold it. So, let’s not be so judgmental.

blown94conv and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  5. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    No not at all. They just don’t seem to be in demand, at least the F1s. There are many threads about this on here. Admittedly things might have changed as I haven’t followed them as close since I don’t own one anymore. I’ve always thought the 360’s value problem isn’t with the 360 but because the 430 is a better car for not much more.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  6. HJZ360

HJZ360 Karting

Nov 27, 2017
    Weslaco, Texas
    Full Name:
    Harold John Zurlo
    I have owned my 360 F1 a year, past Sunday. Owned Corvettes since '84, traded Z06 Z16 for this car and have never looked back. It had 11k miles, now 13.4k, I drive it every day unless it is raining, like my Z06. She is a different animal, I did buy it to drive as much as the others, and an experience like no other!

7. Terence Courtnage

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Terence Courtnage
    It's not just the oil changes, it's also the other fluids. During a three-year ownership, I would expect the brake fluid, gear oil, and the coolant to have been changed at least once, as per the recommended service intervals.

Of course, it is your car and you can do whatever you want, but if someone reads this, they might get the impression that Ferrari maintenance will cost them a few hundred dollars over three years. And that's just not realistic.

8. Terence Courtnage

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Terence Courtnage
    The other problem might be that your particular car came with somewhat of a documented "story". I remember reading your posts on the car's problems and wondering how that might affect the value.

9. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    You are right. But I have to say that most of the F owners that I know, don’t follow that prescription. These guys drive their cars a thousand miles a year, (they have six or ten other cars) store them from November to April at the Ferrari dealers’ storage space, and bring their cars in for service when they get an email or postcard from the dealer, and for better or worse, that schedule doesn’t comply with what it says in the owners manual.
    Likewise, every BMW manual says to change the brake fluid every two years. People lease them for 36 months, maybe bring them in for two free oil changes, and turn them in. Then maybe or not the dealer performs that service before the car is resold. It’s an unfortunate habit of our throw away society. .....So, for you potential Ferrari buyers, I’d set aside about $1500 to $2000 per year to follow the prescribed maintenance schedule, unless you’re a DIY guy. AND if it’s an engine out belt change vehicle, set aside $5k to $7k for that service to be done every 5 years or whatever the mileage noted in the manual says.

10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Changing fluids yearly or every couple years is never a bad thing. That said, gearbox oil does not need to be changed every 3 years - that's really over kill.

LorenzoOO likes this.
  11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    360 spider with a stick is the most fun and engaging to drive, even though I also have faster cars. To me it’s a keeper, and I do drive it as intended, so I change the fluids annually, including gearbox oil. It’s important to change the gear oil because it gets cooked with the transaxle sitting between the headers, and to keep an eye out for coolant contamination from a possibly failed heat exchanger. Belts do not require engine out on this car.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Skidkid likes this.
  12. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    That makes sense for F1. For gated 360 the value difference between 360 and 430 is quite a bit. That should make the demand higher on 360 gated over F1 as long as it's priced proper is my guess.

I'm not starting a gated and F1 debate here. Closing side topic. :D

eskanday and LorenzoOO like this.
  13. Terence Courtnage

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Terence Courtnage
    Ferrari does not agree with that:

“Change the gearbox differential oil and clean the oil filter... every two years." (page 5-5, 360 owners manual)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    That's true. They also say to change timing belts every 3 years regardless of mileage ;)

15. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    I think they want you to put a combo of krypton and argon in the tires as well.

16. Terence Courtnage

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Terence Courtnage
    Yes, they do. And a lot of people choose to ignore that recommendation because of the $4K expense and the rarity of reported failures. The reluctance to follow that particular guideline is understandable. But why would anyone choose to ignore a $200 gear oil change every couple of years is beyond me.

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I've never changed gearbox oil in any car I've owned. I'm a few weeks from 6 years ownership of my first Ferrari. Have not changed the gearbox oil yet and it runs like a swiss watch. Next winter when I do major I will but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

18. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    It’s very mileage dependent as well.

19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Sorry Dave, you are wrong on this one. The cats are on each side of the transaxle and they cook the gear oil. I have changed the gear oil and I can tell you first hand that it takes a beating. Just because you haven't changed yours and it hasn't failed yet doesn't make it a good idea. There are WAY too many bad things that can happen to just let it run over saving $200.

Dave rocks, Need4Spd and brookliner7 like this.
  20. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    You better pray that filter is clear, plenty of metal shavings get caught in there all the time for owners. The fluid breaks down over time, heat and so on, it looses it viscosity and effectiveness, no rocket scientist, but not a smart move on your part.

21. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Each to their own, but annually when the under trays are off I do the trans oil and the engine oil. It's too easy and cheap insurance. The perfectly good trans oil gets saved up for my muscle car gearbox. Win. :)

22. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I think it's worth it. Had a red/tan manual years ago and the feeling in that car (or any Ferrari?) is something that can't be described. I didn't care what other car was faster, had more gadgets or anything like that at all. For me it was finally owning the car of my dreams. I've always thought if it like this, you either have a Ferrari or you don't. Justifying that another car is faster is, and was, pointless to me.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  23. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    Can't believe this thread is still alive. To answer the original poster's question, "is the 360 worth it" :

Yes.

'Nuff said.

Tom

E60 M5 likes this.
  24. Terence Courtnage

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Terence Courtnage
    Troll post threads tend to have a fairly decent half-life.

25. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Especially the F1s, bargain exotics.