Is the Ferrari 360 "worth it"? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Is the Ferrari 360 "worth it"?

Discussion in '360/430' started by RonHoward, Dec 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    #76 Skidkid, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Correct, there are many threads on it but F1 clutches will get 40-50K easy if you know how to drive and pay attention. The other statement in that post is not accurate either. The switch to chains had nothing to do with technological advances, neither did the change in the block between the cars. Over the years Ferrari has used chains and belts many times. I can't tell you what drives the choice for any given motor but I am confident that it isn't technology or they would have chosen the best and stayed there, not done both over the years.

Dave rocks likes this.
  2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    There may be some truth to this statement. The car was developed to be the car for the new millennia, Remember Y2K? It was a big deal to start a new cycle of design. There were thousands of hours in the wind tunnel and a decision to make the car entirely out of aluminum. It's not a secret that all the following mid engine models have the same side profile 430 > 458 > 488 > ??. It's because they got it right! I think they had to make it less organic to help sexy up those lines in recent years. If you think of that as window dressing you are on your way to accepting the beauty of the 360. Other car designers have been stealing bits and pieces of the design for a while and they catch my eye too but that doesn't explain that the car can be difficult to photograph. It really looks different from different distances and different lenses and lighting.

Here are a few that I took that still make me say wow all these years later.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I'm 360 Canuck and whatheheck like this.
  3. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Off topic, but is that a car bra???
    Please no...take that off, buff it out, and if you MUST, please replace with a 3M or similar clear film product!

4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    You are quite right, what I feel is the machine doing its job the better it does that job the more I like it. It is how I judge machines, which is why I have so many they all do different jobs. Oh and I just put the Becker Cascade Nav unit from my last 430 up for sale in the classifieds.

5. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Nope, not coming off. I will respray the bumper when I need to in the future! Two reasons 1.There is a overabundance of joy as I navigate around my garage and rub across the front bumper while carrying something heavy or cumbersome. This a daily bringing of joy if I am busy in the garage. 2. I like the mesh screen cover in the front over the intakes it sort of flattens out the geometry like the 360 GT bumpers that I like!

brookliner7 likes this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think only you can answer the question if it is 'worth it.' As many have said; In terms of performance, your Vette will run circles around the 360. I think you already know this. So in order to find out if the car is 'too slow', I would recommend one of those rents a Ferrari 360 experiences so you can find out for yourself. Assuming the speed is adequate, and you appreciate the subjective 'feel' Ferrari gives you. Then one has to ask if the maintenance potential is too much of a downside. Again, only you can answer that. You could get lucky and you have no problems for years, or...

Finally, as far as attention, that's up to you again.

one4torque likes this.
  7. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Doesn't photo well??? I respectfully disagree.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    is that right, 450 cars?
    if you buy 10 cars a year that's still 45 years to accumulate 450 cars.
    the DMV must love you. You fund the retirement for 3 of their employees.

9. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    My friend has a few hundred cars... Image Unavailable, Please Login

imahorse and Dewinator like this.
  10. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Thanks Dave.

11. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    #86 KC360 FL, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Funny you should say that because I was kind of luke warm on the 458 Italia in photos. Then this weekend I saw one in person.

I am smitten. I mean really smitten. I actually went to Car Gurus classifieds this morning-- just to look. But of course you have to love the tech in that car. And I don't. And therefore the reason I love my 360 so much. Just enough tech necessary to enhance the experience but not to over impose itself on me.
    And of course the 360 styling is sheer perfection.

It's a funny thing that after all the photos in books of Monet's Water Lilies I finally got to the Met in NY and saw them. I was just knocked out. The photos were so unfamiliar to me when I saw the real thing. I kind of think that is what defines art-- when in person you cannot believe how much more you get out of something. So therein lies my contention that that alone is why we are so struck by these Ferraris in person.

PS: there were 278 listings for the Italia on Car Gurus alone. Only 55 listings for the 360s. Interesting; and I'm not sure what to make of that.

12. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I love the 360. I think the car has nice lines. Its also a happy medium between an engine out 355 and a 430

I'm 360 Canuck and KC360 FL like this.
  13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I take it back: I do know why they went to chains on the 430. They wanted more displacement to up the HP. They needed a new motor to get the displacement. Instead of designing an entirely new motor and the associated cost, they used a block from another car (that is discussed on here somewhere). Want to bet that motor used chains instead of belts. SO, the choice was born out of saving development cost NOT about any technological advantage. Technically, belts lose less power than chains AND they just don't stretch so they are a better technical solution to developing power; but the differences aren't really enough to care in this case.

14. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC

...To add-- those considerations were major factors that indicated the new direction for Harley Davidson when they went from a chain drive to belts as far back as the early 80's.

15. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Do tell. I know they had to ditch the Dino engine to compete with the new Gallardo. But the new 4.3 Ferrari V8 block I didn't know came from another car?

16. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    I owned my 360 spider for 3.5 years and drove it 7400ish miles. It cost me 15K in depreciation and 21K in maintenance. I spent a year trying to sell it before I spent the last 15K in maintenance and then wound up selling it anyhow for what I was asking before maintenance. I now have an F430. Yes it’s a better car than the 360 but I regret selling my fixed up for it’s next owner 360. If you get a 360 you’ll be stuck with it for a while as there’s no market for them but they are still wonderful cars. An F430 is a better car but I’m not sure it’s 40K or 50K better and still subject to depreciation. None of these cars are at the “bottom” of their curve and are expensive to maintain period. If you can pay cash for one compared to another I’d go that way but intend to keep and drive the car or you’ll lose your ass. Any Ferrari will cost a ton in maintenance.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  17. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Maserari's engine block and it's a shame too because they dropped use of features like titanium conrods back to steel for cost reasons...

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Thanx 4 this info, was not aware of the origin of this engine … :)

19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Thanks Trev. I thought I remembered it was Maserati but I would have had to go search for where it was discussed in a thread.

20. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I had it back to front. I thought they used the 430 engine in Masarati's. Other way round it seems.

21. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
  22. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I certainly hope to be "stuck" with mine for many years.

23. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Yo Dave, what gave the impression in your experience that there's no market for them aside from it took a while to sell? Is this the only reason for this statement or?

24. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    A sticky car is usually a sign of something...

Anything from sellers lack of awareness in its real market depreciated value or issues with the car after inspection, possibly options and colors, mileages, service records, etc etc.. Silver 360's tend to take longer than resale red for example...

Drestless likes this.
  25. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    ouch, brutal. I feel for you. I must have had a good one or some good luck because mine was pretty bulletproof when I owned it. I miss it.