Bubble for winter storage? | FerrariChat

Bubble for winter storage?

Discussion in '360/430' started by MichaelWa, Nov 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MichaelWa

MichaelWa Rookie

Nov 16, 2018
    hi all

I have a 360 and I’m about to go into my first winter with it. I went for a pretty good example as an investment and as such I’d expect it to ride out the winter well in my garage.

However I’m wondering what the consensus is on whether one of those bubbles to protect it are and whether anyone thinks a specific model is best for a 360 spider please?

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Tell us a little more about the conditions in which it is stored in

State , type of garage , insulated ? Attached ? Newer doors and seals

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

3. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    I have 2 of those bubbles. note you should put a car cover over the car first, then the bubble.
    reason: bubble is heavy, it drags over paint as you put on / off. You will scratch up your car without a car cover.
    so no, you won't be able to see your Ferrari under the bubble. they yellow anyway.

4. MichaelWa

MichaelWa Rookie

Nov 16, 2018
    It’s a new build double garage detached from my house. The roof is converted though and has insulation in the roof. Don’t believe it’s insulated in walls but has breeze blocks and double glazed windows. New double doors but has a gap at the bottom and the wind/small amount of water does come through

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

neil e dale likes this.
  5. MichaelWa

MichaelWa Rookie

Nov 16, 2018
    Thanks, I will use the cover as well, which company did you buy from, would you recommend them?

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    State or climate ?

The reason I asking all these questions is if you can get a pretty good deal on garage then I would go a different route .. heater , dehumidifier etc

This way the whole garage can be climate controlled

7. MichaelWa

MichaelWa Rookie

Nov 16, 2018
    I’m based in the UK (Oxfordshire)

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Looks like most of your weather is above freezing ?

If the case and you can get a semi tight to tight seal a good all season dehumidifier would make if good environment for car.

I never asked but assumed that is why you wanted a bubble

9. bellwilliam

Oct 25, 2014
    always Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/CarCapsule-Indoor-Inflatable-Cover-Storage/dp/B004642U4U/
    they sell different ones.

they are good quality, well built. but like I mentioned earlier, it is cumbersome because it is heavy. being plastic, they also yellow. even while in storage, sometime you want to access the car, say once a month to start the car or to sit in the car (don't everyone do that?), etc.. it is a lot more work than just a car cover.

I need it, because rodents like to chew car wiring. so for me, it is worth the hassle.

neil e dale likes this.
  10. neil e dale

neil e dale Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    I have feral cats I feed and give access to the garage w/ a cat door! w/ a good cat? there will be no rat! we were between feral cats and the damned pack rats ate some wires/ hood insulation on our rare (1 of 322 imported to the USA) Saab viggen CV ( and the hood insulation is no longer available )

Kevin Rev'n and bellwilliam like this.
  11. bellwilliam

Oct 25, 2014
    haha....I live in an area (east Los Angeles, only a mile from freeway), that no cats in my neighborhood ever dies of natural causes.... they all gets eaten by coyote, or mountain lion........if small enough, by redtail hawk.

neil e dale likes this.
  12. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    yes, we have the same issue! we have indoor cats and outdoor feral cats ! my son is a cat whisperer and can tame a wild feral ! here it is the same coyotes, dogs , mountain lions ,wildcats , hawks and worst of all the damn OWLS ! they perch up on trees, poles and swoop down and kill ! this pretty calico girl we rescued fr up a mesquite tree ! the coyotes got her mom and siblings ! she is awesome and being ( formerly ) feral very intelligent! any cat that survives here outside is very good , lucky or both ! PS the feral females (cats ) are the best hunters ! they bring the kill to show us and get a treat ! we give away the kittens when old enough .
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

bellwilliam likes this.
  13. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    As you are in the UK talk to Mark at morethanpolish.com

14. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    For me I would not use an inflatable bubble I would use an air-chamber. It is a rigid self standing plastic tent, does not touch the car, no need for a car cover so you can see the car, has 3 x zip doors and best of all you can put a dehumidifier inside it to keep car dry whilst not trying to dry the whole (leaky) garage (don't use the chambers inbuilt fans if using a dehumidifier). The above has been my setup for 8 years and works a treat.

MichaelWa likes this.
  15. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    car bubble I use to use was called the car capsule...it was pretty good.... as CARPER mentioned the air chamber is nicer if you can fit it...

MichaelWa likes this.
  16. Buzios

Buzios Karting

Aug 5, 2018
  17. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The first curiosity is that you bought a 360 as an investment.

There are lots of threads about winter storage and what you should do.

18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Its not going to come to any harm in a UK garage, mine have been 25 years with no problems. Throw a double bed sheet over it to keep the dust off after a good coat of wax polish.

MichaelWa likes this.
  19. MichaelWa

MichaelWa Rookie

Nov 16, 2018
    Brill thanks for the advice

20. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    Interesting that the storage answers vary from pretty much zero cost (an old bed sheet) to about £700 (air chamber and dehumidifier).

I would still vote for the more expensive option on a 20 year old car as it pleases me to know that dodgy Italian electronics are being properly looked after.

Each to their own.

neil e dale likes this.
  21. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    #21 neil e dale, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    I am building a garage for my new ( to me ) F430 spider I have a " touchless car cover" it is self-supporting! I have been keeping a rare Saab 9-3 viggen vert in it in a carport .( no garage door - this is common in the mild clime of Arizona - 350 days of sunshine a year ! )basicly, Zero humidity ! It does not have a floor but the car stays pretty clean. I think an F360 would fit ! you can fold up either end and run the motor and it has two doors that unzip on the sides. I find I can slither in w/ out unzipping it, back the car out and drive it in ( fold the mirrors ) you can park the car in it when hot ! protruding F430 pipes might be an issue if hot ! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login What I think is REALLY needed ( and no one makes ) for INside garage storage is a rectangular fabric box that would be lowered unrolled fr the ceiling w/ weighted bottom sides (sand or lead shot ? ) that would seal it to the floor ! you could raise it up & down like a curtain ! you could have lights in the ceiling , a clear floor to work ! unfettered access ! ( as a mechanic /owner I want to be able to fix, repair fettle, clean, detail my ride ! ) Now, who can/ will make one? anyone know a theatrical curtain maker ? .......................

22. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    #22 neil e dale, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    so, seal the bottom of the door ! & see my post above ! regards, Neil PS the above touchless car cover arrives in a folded up round coil about one meter diameter of strong fiberglass rods ( like a fishing pole ) you place it in an open area, clip the straps and it opens up w/ great alacrity ! - look out! theoretically, you could / can fold it up into a circle and take it anywhere! I use old round weightlifting weights to hold it down! - just place them on the floor and tie ropes to the attachment points ! .......
    • DESCRIPTION

23. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I paid £9 for the old bed sheet and it works fine- i dont think it gets cold enough in a uk garage to be worried. I dont get any frost on the car but if you were in say Sweden i might invest in a better cover. In more extream heat i would be getting concerned. My mondial sat in my garage for 20 years with no probs i could link to its storage.

24. V8TDF

V8TDF Rookie
    BANNED

May 2, 2014
    Stamford
    I have a 360 Spider, live in Lincolnshire and have advised dozens of UK owners on storage of their Ferraris.
    1. The bubble/bag type units are a poor alternative to the rigid framed units, especially AirChambers which I believe in, as per Carper above. No need for a cover, dehumidifier optional.
    2. If using a dehumidifier, it must be a desiccant unit or hot gas defrost unit (the latter is more expensive but less efficient) - compressor units will freeze up. I use a Meaco DD8L Junior myself.
    3. Old cotton bedsheets are just not suitable - they hold moisture and frankly on a £60-80k car look cheap and dreadful. A Soft Stretch indoor cover will cost you £115 from carcovershop.co.uk and looks great (like OEM), is made from breathable fabric too.
    4. Ensure its on a battery conditioner - I plug a CTEK MXS3.8 into the cigar adapter otherwise the battery dies in 3 weeks.
    5. If you decide to just dehumidify the garage, which you can, then seal it as best you can. Gapstop is a product I also got from carcovershop.
    6. Overpump the tyres by 5-10psi.
    7. Make sure it goes in with dry discs, and ideally use an Airchamber or dehumidifier as the inside of the discs will rust beautifully without you noticing. I speak from experience here...

MichaelWa and Carper like this.
  25. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    +1 to the above.

I use same DD8L dehumidifier inside my air chamber. Is very economical because when it gets to set humidity it turns off and then every 30 minutes has a "sniff" of the air and only turns back on if needed.

Considering they will dry a whole house you can imagine that inside a 5m x 2.5m plastic tent they don't need to work hard at all.

For an extra £10 put a current/min/max humidity display in with car for added peace of mind.